+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****August 2019 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
I am now seeing consequences, first of all spouse doesn't have OHIP and even though it is covered from sponsor employer group insurance, medical emergencies are always exempted, which means rest is covered but pay like 1500$ as medical emergency fee out of pockets.
Just a general heads-up, though, for applicants in Ontario... Should an uninsured applicant contract COVID-19 specifically, they are still covered by OHIP, even if they're not eligible for coverage usually.

Additionally, the province will cover the cost of COVID-19 services for uninsured people who do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage. Together, these measures will ensure that no one will be discouraged from seeking screening or treatment for COVID-19 for financial reasons.

Source: https://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/2020/03/ontario-expands-coverage-for-care.html
@Troy2245 I understand that it's probably not what your post was referring to, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to specify, considering we're still dealing with a pandemic, which can be stressful for those who aren't covered by provincial insurance.

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Just a general heads-up, though, for applicants in Ontario... Should an uninsured applicant contract COVID-19 specifically, they are still covered by OHIP, even if they're not eligible for coverage usually.

The issue we went to emergency section of hospital to get covid-19 tested. They took all the details and doctors examined immediately but they told they will not be testing us since we are perfectly alright and not critical. This was during initial days. So even though I claimed it through employer insurance, actual covid-19 was never tested but they charged for using emergency services which is close to 1500$. So how do you justify and where I can get refunds?

@Troy2245 I understand that it's probably not what your post was referring to, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to specify, considering we're still dealing with a pandemic, which can be stressful for those who aren't covered by provincial insurance.

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
The issue we went to emergency section of hospital to get covid-19 tested. They took all the details and doctors examined immediately but they told they will not be testing us since we are perfectly alright and not critical. This was during initial days. So even though I claimed it through employer insurance, actual covid-19 was never tested but they charged for using emergency services which is close to 1500$. So how do you justify and where I can get refunds?
Do you happen to have an itemized invoice or receipt showing that it was a COVID-19 test? According to OHIP's website, it looks like the physician has to file the claim, not the patient. I would suggest you call OHIP's contact centre to inquire as to what to do: 1-800-262-6524.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/ohip/bulletins/4000/bul4755.aspx

If you never actually got tested, but the main purpose of your visit was due to presenting COVID-19 symptoms, maybe you can still get it refunded by OHIP.

Reactions: Troy2245

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Do you happen to have an itemized invoice or receipt showing that it was a COVID-19 test? According to OHIP's website, it looks like the physician has to file the claim, not the patient. I would suggest you call OHIP's contact centre to inquire as to what to do: 1-800-262-6524.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/ohip/bulletins/4000/bul4755.aspx

If you never actually got tested, but the main purpose of your visit was due to presenting COVID-19 symptoms, maybe you can still get it refunded by OHIP.
On invoice it just says Physician Fees/Emergency services and nothing about covid-19 test.

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Could be worth calling the hospital. They might have more details in their system. Just a hunch.
Thanks for recommendation. I contacted Ontario Health Ministry and they said hospital has to refund it or they will.
So they told to contact hospital first since I already paid to them, if they don't then ministry will.

Thank you so much!!

• Love
Reactions: DirtyMelodies

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Thanks for recommendation. I contacted Ontario Health Ministry and they said hospital has to refund it or they will.
So they told to contact hospital first since I already paid to them, if they don't then ministry will.

Thank you so much!!
That is such great news, happy to hear it! :)

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Our lawyer just emailed us to confirm COPR. No interview needed due to Covid 19.
Awesome! Congratulations, you must be so happy/relieved!

Were you guys part of the batch that got DM before the offices closed (i.e. before the end of March)?

TuAnh

Apr 28, 2020
Our lawyer just emailed us to confirm COPR. No interview needed due to Covid 19.
Congrats. I also just received an email notifying that my status in my CIC account has changed and it was CoPR. However I couldn't access the CoPR document from my account. Will they send me a document to my email or something? And what is the next step? Does that mean no interview needed?

Reactions: may2019

moneeca

Nov 5, 2019
Congrats. I also just received an email notifying that my status in my CIC account has changed and it was CoPR. However I couldn't access the CoPR document from my account. Will they send me a document to my email or something? And what is the next step? Does that mean no interview needed?
I have exactly the same question here.

Reactions: TuAnh