+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****August 2019 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

HomeBaked

May 31, 2019
Great. It shouldn't be too much of an issue to get your extension then. Some cases, it comes even earlier. Check the processing times online. All the best!
Thank you so much for your time and help, you have truly assisted me in a time of need. You are a great person.

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
Thank you so much for your time and help, you have truly assisted me in a time of need. You are a great person.
Not a problem, we're all in this process. It's good to support each other :)

Reactions: Elk-hunter

JamesBarnes

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Hey @HomeBaked

I held an IEC from 2016 to 2018. Unfortunately, you are correct in that IEC doesn't benefit from implied status. As soon as your IEC expires you must stop working. Any work done after that date will be illegal.

In regards to the visitor visa extension, I'm from a visa-exempt country (UK) and arrived in Canada in March. My status expired on September 17th. I applied for an extension on September 9th. As Rachell said, it's a straight forward online process and costs $100. I would wholeheartedly recommend applying for a visitor visa extension as it's basically your safety net that grants you the status you need in order to be eligible for the OWP.

I haven't heard anything back from my extension application yet so it seems to be taking longer than initially posted (I think it's currently sitting at 100 days). There's another person from the August group who applied back in July who hasn't heard a thing yet either but it's better to have it in place than not at all in my opinion.

Some tips I can pass on from my own application:

1) You'll be asked to provide proof of funds for the period you asked for (I asked for 6 months, others ask for 12, it's entirely up to you). For my proof of funds, I had my husband write a letter stating he will support me financially and also provided a letter from his employer (the same one from our PR package) stating his hours and rate of pay to back this up

2) A lot of people seem to stumble on the 'reason for visit' question. Myself and a few others I spoke to just put 'visiting family' for this question. As part of the application process you'll see an 'optional documents' section. I wrote a letter briefly explaining my relationship with my husband (met while I was in Canada on IEC etc) and stating that we currently have a PR application in process. At that point I hadn't yet received AOR so I just attached copies of my fee receipts for PR and OWP as proof.

3) You'll see that some forms will require additional files. The online application only lets you upload one file per section. I had two documents for proof of funds (husband's letter and employer's letter), three for optional (my letter and two fee receipts) and also needed an additional page on my IMM form for employment history. You'll need to convert everything into PDF format and then merge them so they can be uploaded as one file per section. Sorry if you find this part condescending! I've seen a lot of people face this issue!

If you have any more questions about the process, I'd be happy to help :)

Reactions: HomeBaked

HomeBaked

May 31, 2019
Hey @HomeBaked

I held an IEC from 2016 to 2018. Unfortunately, you are correct in that IEC doesn't benefit from implied status. As soon as your IEC expires you must stop working. Any work done after that date will be illegal.

In regards to the visitor visa extension, I'm from a visa-exempt country (UK) and arrived in Canada in March. My status expired on September 17th. I applied for an extension on September 9th. As Rachell said, it's a straight forward online process and costs $100. I would wholeheartedly recommend applying for a visitor visa extension as it's basically your safety net that grants you the status you need in order to be eligible for the OWP.

I haven't heard anything back from my extension application yet so it seems to be taking longer than initially posted (I think it's currently sitting at 100 days). There's another person from the August group who applied back in July who hasn't heard a thing yet either but it's better to have it in place than not at all in my opinion.

1) You'll be asked to provide proof of funds for the period you asked for (I asked for 6 months, others ask for 12, it's entirely up to you). For my proof of funds, I had my husband write a letter stating he will support me financially and also provided a letter from his employer (the same one from our PR package) stating his hours and rate of pay to back this up

2) A lot of people seem to stumble on the 'reason for visit' question. Myself and a few others I spoke to just put 'visiting family' for this question. As part of the application process you'll see an 'optional documents' section. I wrote a letter briefly explaining my relationship with my husband (met while I was in Canada on IEC etc) and stating that we currently have a PR application in process. At that point I hadn't yet received AOR so I just attached copies of my fee receipts for PR and OWP as proof.

3) You'll see that some forms will require additional files. The online application only lets you upload one file per section. I had two documents for proof of funds (husband's letter and employer's letter), three for optional (my letter and two fee receipts) and also needed an additional page on my IMM form for employment history. You'll need to convert everything into PDF format and then merge them so they can be uploaded as one file per section. Sorry if you find this part condescending! I've seen a lot of people face this issue!

Not condescending in the slightest, I really appreciate all the information you've provided. I will start getting getting those letters and documents together right away. Thank you so much for your thorough and helpful input. Fingers crossed!

Luap88

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
Hey @HomeBaked

My impression was that if your IEC is still valid at the time they receive your OWP application alongside the PR one, you're on implied status even if the IEC permit expires whilst they process it?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=188&top=17

Reactions: JamesBarnes

JamesBarnes

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
My impression was that if your IEC is still valid at the time they receive your OWP application alongside the PR one, you're on implied status even if the IEC permit expires whilst they process it?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=188&top=17
Ah...while my IEC was expiring, implied status on IEC was a hotly contested issue. It looks as though CIC finally got around to clarifying it judging from this thread dated May of this year...

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ircc-has-finally-updated-on-the-iec-implied-status-debate.617584/

My bad @HomeBaked looks like we were both a wee bit behind on new developments for IEC folk!

Thanks @Luap88 :)

Luap88

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
Ah...while my IEC was expiring, implied status on IEC was a hotly contested issue. It looks as though CIC finally got around to clarifying it judging from this thread dated May of this year...

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ircc-has-finally-updated-on-the-iec-implied-status-debate.617584/

My bad @HomeBaked looks like we were both a wee bit behind on new developments for IEC folk!

Thanks @Luap88 :)
No worries. :)

I think CIC were a bit unsure themselves tbh!

xavilor

Mar 19, 2019
Hi, I received my AOR today

Timeline:
Application sent - August 23th 2019
Application Received - August 26st 2019
AOR - October 8th 2019

I am having trouble linking the application to my account though. They ask questions about the applicant. I filled the form with my wife's info , it did't work , then I tried with mine , still didn't work. Now I have reached the daily attempt so I guess I'll try tomorrow.\
Thank you

JamesBarnes

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Hi, I received my AOR today

Timeline:
Application sent - August 23th 2019
Application Received - August 26st 2019
AOR - October 8th 2019

I am having trouble linking the application to my account though. They ask questions about the applicant. I filled the form with my wife's info , it did't work , then I tried with mine , still didn't work. Now I have reached the daily attempt so I guess I'll try tomorrow.\
Thank you
Linking can be a pain! You need to use the Principal Applicant’s info. Another common mistake is number of applicants. If it’s just you and your spouse make sure you select 2 instead of 1. I was making that mistake for a while!

Congrats on the AOR!

Elk-hunter

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey @HomeBaked

Hi,
my wife and I are in the same boat.
we used an immigration consultant.
I am a Canadian citizen and she is from the Ukraine.
We met as she was on Vacation here.

We applied for PR and OWP on August 13 / Got AOR on September 24th.
Her visitor visa expired on September 22.
On September 18 I send of her VIsitor Visa extension including her Kids.

Our consultant said that once OWP arrives we can withdraw Visitor Visa extension for my Wife.

vcanada21

Oct 9, 2019
Hi everyone,

PR +OWP
Sent documents on August 22nd, 2019
office received on August 23rd, 2019
AOR: still awaiting
We are applying from Toronto and its been over 6 weeks, getting anxious/nervous now as we have not heard anything.

Seems like most inland applications have been processed. Anyone else who applied inland in August still waiting?

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
Hi everyone,

PR +OWP
We are applying from Toronto and its been over 6 weeks, getting anxious/nervous now as we have not heard anything.

Seems like most inland applications have been processed. Anyone else who applied inland in August still waiting?
A fair bit for the last weeks of August. Check the spreadsheet below to have an idea for August applicants.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gm315tmNKWoywb7PwZBiE67fUmznYQrNhYVWXPXXJBw/edit#gid=1155278862

stellahello

Star Member
Aug 1, 2013
Hi everyone,

PR +OWP

I am still waiting for an AOR. Ours was received on August 27. I feel you here!

HomeBaked

May 31, 2019
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd give you all an update on my returned application.

It finally arrived in the mail, around 30 days after being marked as incomplete. Apparently the only thing that was missing was "notice of assessment including line 150".

The package they returned contains the notice of assessment with line 150 already. I will provide some photos and hopefully someone can tell me if we did something wrong.

My questions are, if we did indeed include something wrong, can I just slip the correct document in and send it straight back? Is there some sort of grace period in case the forms have been updated since? Should I paperclip all my groups of docs reassemble them in the correct order? Is there anything I can do to get back in my place if it was a mistake on IRCC's end?

Your advice and guidance is, as always, greatly appreciated!

imgur.com/a/J9TsWJI
imgur.com/a/3ZubkBr

Last edited:

JamesBarnes

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd give you all an update on my returned application.

It finally arrived in the mail, around 30 days after being marked as incomplete. Apparently the only thing that was missing was "notice of assessment including line 150".

The package they returned contains the notice of assessment with line 150 already. I will provide some photos and hopefully someone can tell me if we did something wrong.

My questions are, if we did indeed include something wrong, can I just slip the correct document in and send it straight back? Is there some sort of grace period in case the forms have been updated since? Should I paperclip all my groups of docs reassemble them in the correct order? Is there anything I can do to get back in my place if it was a mistake on IRCC's end?

Your advice and guidance is, as always, greatly appreciated!

imgur.com/a/J9TsWJI
imgur.com/a/3ZubkBr
The links to your images don’t work for me unfortunately so I can’t comment on the NOA.

Unfortunately there is no grace period even if CIC have sent your app back mistakenly. The only thing you can do now is double check everything, make sure everything is the exact order stated in the guide and checklist and send it back treating it as though you’re applying for the first time again. Sadly you’ll be back the back of the queue and will have the same timeline as October applicants.