+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****August 2019 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

Nov 5, 2019
How do you know if your application has been recieved?

Another question is the PR Inland application is sent in with an OWP App, However he has been here for more than 6 months and his visitors visa expires in March. He has not applied for an extension on the visitors visa, Should he do a separate app for an ext now while the PR and OWP has been submitted?

ToughNuggets

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
Well it seems like we both got hit with the same situation just from different countries. I don't believe the UK requires any fingerprinting or biometrics so that might save some time. However, we are going to have to pay extra for the expedited fee to get it done in 4 business days, then they need to send the check from UK>Vancouver where we live and that could take up to 2 weeks... so at the end of the day this is probably adding 2-3 weeks on to the process.

I may have explained wrongly but we didn't get AIP, but SA (Sponsorship approval, me being the sponsor). I don't think AIP/DM will come until after we upload the new police record. But, like why are they telling us this now at this point in the process and not earlier? Like I am happy we are almost done, but a bit irritated that we have to get more now at the end.

Also we called up CIC to clarify whether or not our old police record was valid or not and the guy on the line was a total dickhead to us in his mannerisms.
Yep, same situation, just different countries. I'm glad you're able to get yours expedited, it sucks there's an extra cost. I sent our application to Virginia the fastest way possible with Canada Post (still took seven to eight days).

That makes more sense. We got SA, AIP, and DM all on the same day, about a week after we uploaded the criminal record check. You might get yours soon after you upload yours from the UK. Hopefully it won't take too much extra time.

ToughNuggets

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
How do you know if your application has been recieved?

Another question is the PR Inland application is sent in with an OWP App, However he has been here for more than 6 months and his visitors visa expires in March. He has not applied for an extension on the visitors visa, Should he do a separate app for an ext now while the PR and OWP has been submitted?
You will receive AOR (Acknowledgment Of Receipt) via an email from CIC.

I would apply for an extension ASAP. If your application is returned due to missing documents or signatures, he will have no status, and that's a real pain to contend with. Better to be safe than sorry.

Nov 5, 2019
Thank you. If his 6 months status has expired as of Feb 18 then should I apply for a restoration of status.
He has exceeded his 6 months as of Feb 18 but the visitors visa expires in March.

ToughNuggets

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
Thank you. If his 6 months status has expired as of Feb 18 then should I apply for a restoration of status.
He has exceeded his 6 months as of Feb 18 but the visitors visa expires in March.
IMO, the visitor visa date is what you want to go by. If his status has expired right now, because of the application you sent in, he's on implied status. But if they return that application, the implied status goes away, and that's when you would need the extension of the visitor visa. Definitely better to apply on it now. It's a relatively quick process, all done online. We were able to complete it in an hour or so. Immigration approved it within a few weeks.

Neil01

Feb 27, 2020
Hi guys, i just wanted to update everyone. We just recieved our approval letters today.
Application Sent- Aug13
And now just waiting for landing interview. Does anyone know how long does it take for the interview date and if there is anything left once we get our approval letters for both sponser and the applicant.

WilliamShakesBeer

Oct 13, 2017
Hi all,
I was wondering if we have to renew our SIN after becoming PR. I.e. in case we already have a SIN, do we have to go to Service Canada to renew the number or is that done automatically?

Elk-hunter

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
I was wondering if we have to renew our SIN after becoming PR. I.e. in case we already have a SIN, do we have to go to Service Canada to renew the number or is that done automatically?
Yes you have to get a new SIN Number.
Because your old one starts with a 9.
That indicates temporary resident

Amy23

Feb 19, 2020
IMO, the visitor visa date is what you want to go by. If his status has expired right now, because of the application you sent in, he's on implied status. But if they return that application, the implied status goes away, and that's when you would need the extension of the visitor visa. Definitely better to apply on it now. It's a relatively quick process, all done online. We were able to complete it in an hour or so. Immigration approved it within a few weeks.
I don't think family sponsorship application gives you implied status, the application package states you must maintain a legal status while the application process

ToughNuggets

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
I don't think family sponsorship application gives you implied status, the application package states you must maintain a legal status while the application process
According to the Government of Canada website: "A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made [R183(5)]. Such a person is considered to have implied status as a temporary resident during that period."

To me that says that applying to extend their period of authorization, via something like a PR application, grants them implied status.

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
According to the Government of Canada website: "A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made [R183(5)]. Such a person is considered to have implied status as a temporary resident during that period."

To me that says that applying to extend their period of authorization, via something like a PR application, grants them implied status.
Just a heads up that this is not the case. A PR application does not grant you implied status; this is why, in cases where status expires, you can't get approved for an Open Work Permit until you are Approved in Principal on the PR app. You can only get the OWP if you have current, legal, temporary status in the country. (Temporary status is different than PR status, which I think is why a PR application doesn't grant you implied status) As long as you submit your OWP while you're in legal status and it doesn't get sent back, you have implied status until a decision is made on the OWP.

If the OWP is returned, you lose status and have to submit restoration of status within 90 days of losing that status. If your OWP is not returned, you can continue your legal residence under your previous legal status. IE, if you were a visitor, you can remain a visitor until you OWP is approved. If you had temporary worker status, you can continue to work until your OWP is approved. Etc. etc.

Reactions: TriniKRN

Amy23

Feb 19, 2020

I don't think if implied status was granted by a PR application, they would specify how to fill out the forms for out of status applicants because you cou
Just a heads up that this is not the case. A PR application does not grant you implied status; this is why, in cases where status expires, you can't get approved for an Open Work Permit until you are Approved in Principal on the PR app. You can only get the OWP if you have current, legal, temporary status in the country. (Temporary status is different than PR status, which I think is why a PR application doesn't grant you implied status) As long as you submit your OWP while you're in legal status and it doesn't get sent back, you have implied status until a decision is made on the OWP.

If the OWP is returned, you lose status and have to submit restoration of status within 90 days of losing that status. If your OWP is not returned, you can continue your legal residence under your previous legal status. IE, if you were a visitor, you can remain a visitor until you OWP is approved. If you had temporary worker status, you can continue to work until your OWP is approved. Etc. etc.
100% agree with you, I personally think the IRCC should include this disclaimer on the application package info so people don't assume they are under implied status and end up being out of status and experiencing delays with their applications.

Reactions: simoneleah

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
100% agree with you, I personally think the IRCC should include this disclaimer on the application package info so people don't assume they are under implied status and end up being out of status and experiencing delays with their applications.
It's SUPER confusing. IMO you should get implied status from a PR app but I've seen so many people not get their OWPs and be confused and then realise they're out of status and have to deal with the stress of that, whether they're within the 90 day period, etc. There's a lot of little specific details, it's hard to be aware of everything!

TheUltimateLurker

Star Member
May 2, 2019
Was able to apply for OHIP with AIP+Proof of Residence (Employee Statement signed by Boss)+Foreign Passport at ServiceOntario.

3 month waiting period but expecting health card in May.

(Inland Aug1 Applicant - Landing Interview on March 7th - next Saturday)