+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ATIP Request Result: (Entry Exit) I am confused

folks

Jul 11, 2012
Hi,

I just received the ATIP request result regarding entry/exit i.e travel history from CBSA for the past 11 years.

All entry (15 entries) to Canada is 100% correct but there is not exit(14 exits) information until the recent one i.e. June 2022 was listed there.

What's going on?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I just received the ATIP request result regarding entry/exit i.e travel history from CBSA for the past 11 years.

All entry (15 entries) to Canada is 100% correct but there is not exit(14 exits) information until the recent one i.e. June 2022 was listed there.

What's going on?
This may help to explain this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/entry-exit.html

Background

The program’s purpose was to establish a coordinated Entry/Exit Information System to facilitate the exchange of travellers’ biographic information (such as their name and date of birth) collected upon entry at the common land border, so a record of entry into one country can be considered a record of exit from the other.

In addition to the exchange of data with the U.S. at the land border, regulations for the air mode came into force June 25, 2020, allowing the CBSA to begin collecting pre-departure exit information and exit records directly from commercial air carriers.

With the passing of Bill C-21, An Act to amend the Customs Act, data on all travellers (including Canadian and U.S. citizens) has begun to accumulate as of July 11, 2019, for travel by land. On June 25, 2020, the CBSA began collecting pre-departure exit information and exit records directly from commercial air carriers. Commercial air carriers will have until November 2022 to comply.

Collection and access to traveller data

The Customs Act currently allows the CBSA to collect land entry and exit data and air entry data on all travellers. Regulatory amendments for exits by air came into force in June 2020. Under the IRCC–CBSA MOU, information sharing between both departments for the administration and enforcement of IRPA is considered consistent use, as per paragraph 8(2)(a) of the Privacy Act.

Where entry and exit information has been deemed relevant to an IRCC officer’s decision in relation to a specific program (outlined in this PDI), access is granted by way of system-user roles; only roles that allow a user to render a decision on an application in GCMS have access to the “Entry/Exit” tab.

folks

Jul 11, 2012
Still not clear what you mean by that?

If it was already implemented on JUNE 2020, then why is it not showing exits after 2020, I had 2 exits past June 2020 and its not showing on report, Only the last one i.e. of 2022 is shown.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
If it was already implemented on JUNE 2020, then why is it not showing exits after 2020, I had 2 exits past June 2020 and its not showing on report, Only the last one i.e. of 2022 is shown.
It appears you ignore the meaning of terms and time references. Rather obvious terms. Rather obvious references to targets. Rather obvious aspirational context. Note, for example, that part of the program will depend on collecting exit information from commercial air carriers, which in turn depends on statutory changes and related regulatory changes which commercial air carriers had until November 2022 to comply with . . . and it warrants noting that their compliance would only begin the process pursuant to which CBSA could collect the raw data itself . . . thus the references (just one example) of "targeting November 2022" for some of the planned/intended functionality.

Unless and until the information, such as exit information, is stored in a Personal Information Bank (PIB), even if CBSA has acquired it in a form that it could retrieve/access it, that information is not personal information that will be shared with clients pursuant to the ATIP procedure. Obviously, the OBJECTIVE, the intended goal, is to fully capture exit and entry records, and populate PIBs with that information . . . but that's the PLAN . . . which for now, however, is still at least partially aspirational.

Thus, in particular, the CBSA webpage regarding Travel History Reports, which is here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html SPECIFICALLY states:
"Exit information is limited "​

So, talk about BS . . .

All a bullshit.

I received the atip results yesterday.

And there is no exits except 1 that is the last time I left Canada in 2022.

I have 11-12 exits all international exits outside US and Canada and its not showing.

ONLY ENTRY is shown and 1 exit that is the recent one made in 2022 to international destination.

However all Entries date are accurate.
In the above post you are responding to a post which specifically references and links that same CBSA webpage . . . and you claim "All a bullshit" . . . because your ATIP request did not include exit information prior to a 2022 trip. Except that is precisely what the referenced CBSA information cautions, again stating:
"Exit information is limited "​

MOREOVER . . . context, context, context . . . Words matter . . .

Words matter. And that includes words not used. Consider the purpose for IRCC's use of the CBSA entry and exit information.
"IRCC will obtain accurate and objective entry and exit information from" CBSA . . . "​

Does NOT state that IRCC can, let alone will obtain every client's "complete" entry and exit information from CBSA.

In referring to the use of Entry/Exit information in regards to residency requirements, it states it will be used to "verify" not that it will be used to determine or establish a PR's residency.

Some might quibble these distinctions are merely semantic. That would be BS.

Highlights and Key Observations:

PRs are still responsible for personally keeping, and when questioned (such as in making a citizenship application, a PR card application, or subject to inadmissibility proceedings) providing a complete and accurate record of their entry and exit dates. Neither IRCC nor CBSA so much as suggest otherwise.

While there continue to be numerous ways in which a PR might enter Canada without CBSA capturing a record of it, and even more numerous ways in which a person can exit Canada without CBSA capturing a record of it, it is clear that Canada is making considerable progress toward capturing and storing nearly all of an individual's entry and exit information, which can be used to verify the accuracy and completeness of exit and entry information provided by clients.

Thus . . .

PRs can make an ATIP request for their CBSA travel history, but should not rely on that to be complete.

PRs should anticipate that IRCC will catch any errors or omissions in the exit and entry information the PR reports in a PR card application, PR TD application, or citizenship application. Maybe not, but that's more and more the long shot.