+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum on student visa

Kaedot

Aug 26, 2018
hello, can someone help assess my situation for asylum. I'm a from Cameroon,a bilingual country just like Canada(english & French).The english speaking part where I come from are a minority and have always been discriminated by the French majority. 2 years ago the anglophone started protesting against the the government but the govt responded by using force of the military on civilians which has led to a civil war going on in the country currently. I live and work in the UAE but recently went back home to renew my passport bcuz we don't have an embassy in the UAE. I was detained by the police bcuz they accuse Cameroonians living in the diaspora of inciting and funding the separatists. I succeeded to bribe in order to get my passport renewed and I returned back to the UAE. My contract with my company will soon be over n the have already informed me that I will not be renewed. I plan on getting a student visa to Canada n apply for asylum bcuz I'm afraid of returning back to my home country. What are my chances of succeeding?
Thanks

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
How long have you been living and working in the UAE? Do you have evidence that you are being personally targetted and at risk of persecution? If you are established in the UAE and your evidence weak, then chances are low. Others will surely chime in though but you may want to answer those questions so they have more to go on.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your bigger issue will be obtaining a visa to enter Canada. Do you have proof of your imprisonment? Given that you have spent the majority of your time in he UAE that may complicate your application. Obviously can't comment on the possibility of asylum. If you are able to get a student visa and then qualify for PGWP and then PR, it would be a much easier way to guarantee your ability to stay in Canada.

Kaedot

Aug 26, 2018
Thanks for your timely reply. I have been leaving in the UAE for almost 2 years now. I left just when the crisis began.Anglophones leaving abroad are generally targeted but in my case I have undergone some military training a few years back but never made the cut in the final round which leads the officials to believe I'm coming back to join rebels or will be an asset to them. When I returned back for passport renewal I was detained and interrogated. I had to bribe to get out and also get a new passport even though I don't have any evidence on paper bcuz the military carryout arbitrary arrest. There are many people who have been arrested without a warrant and locked up without any trial.If my company terminates me I have just 1 month to get another job or leave the country. I'm afraid of returning home and be imprisoned.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nobody can confirm whether you will be granted asylum. Getting a TRV from a third country, given people from Cameroon have been seeking asylum, will make getting a visa to come to Canada difficult. Getting a visa in a month seems very unlikely. Getting a student visa will likely be impossible because of the time limit. Your best option is to secure employment in the UAE. You can try and get a student visa if you qualify after that. Best of luck.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot for your guidance. I will do just that
You are too late to obtain a study permit for September. You won't get a study permit in a month. The earliest you'll be able to obtain a study visa for is the January semester. Note that you'll need to show a bank balance of at least $25K to be approved.

Medoxtar

Star Member
Aug 20, 2018
T
You are too late to obtain a study permit for September. You won't get a study permit in a month. The earliest you'll be able to obtain a study visa for is the January semester. Note that you'll need to show a bank balance of at least $25K to be approved.
Thats right