+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum LGBTQ Discrimination

Avery3686

Oct 9, 2019
I need help. I am a pre- transition transman living in The Bahamas. Everyday is a contant struggle because if i am discovered, anyone can beat, rape or kill me and the police will do nothing. Currently, I am unable to secure a job because of the heavy discrimination against the LGBT community and political corruption in the country (my national exams and SAT scores are all well above average). I am unable to secure any entry level government jobs (even though I passed all exams) or private jobs (high religious affiliations). Because of the lack of accountability persons can outright refuse jobs. My political affiliation also does not help because jobs are given based on which party is voted for. The inability to provide myself with basic human needs is causing a strain on my mental health. Moreover, my inability to speak with a therapist and receive proper help isnt helping. I have little hope left, suicide is the only other option. I need to leave this place, can anyone help?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I need help. I am a pre- transition transman living in The Bahamas. Everyday is a contant struggle because if i am discovered, anyone can beat, rape or kill me and the police will do nothing. Currently, I am unable to secure a job because of the heavy discrimination against the LGBT community and political corruption in the country (my national exams and SAT scores are all well above average). I am unable to secure any entry level government jobs (even though I passed all exams) or private jobs (high religious affiliations). Because of the lack of accountability persons can outright refuse jobs. My political affiliation also does not help because jobs are given based on which party is voted for. The inability to provide myself with basic human needs is causing a strain on my mental health. Moreover, my inability to speak with a therapist and receive proper help isnt helping. I have little hope left, suicide is the only other option. I need to leave this place, can anyone help?
You have two choices really.
1) leave your country for the nearest safe country and register with UNHCR (or equivalent), or
2) attempt to apply for a visa to Canada and claim asylum when you get here.

Any attempt to be sponsored as a refugee requires step 1) to be done regardless.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You would need to apply for an eTA and then if/once approved, travel to Canada as a tourist to claim asylum once here. Whether your claim is accepted is a different matters. Processing times are around 2-3 years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay. When I am there, can I be sent back before my case is heard?
Technically yes - but it would take some sort of extremely situation like committing a serious crime or you withdrawing your refugee claim.

Otherwise you're looking at around 2 years for your case to be heard and additional time before a decision is made to determine if you can remain in Canada or must return home.

Avery3686

Oct 9, 2019
Okay, that wont be a problem. I have no criminal record nor is any member of my family comvicted of any crimes. I have post secondary education, knowledge of french language and no dependents

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have post secondary education, knowledge of french language and no dependents
None of this is relevant for the refugee claim. The refugee claim is all about proving and providing hard proof of persecution.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Or you could avoid any of the uncertainty surrounding a refugee claim and apply to immigrate through Express Entry or PNP. An attempt at a refugee claim isn’t the only option.