+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum Info Needed.

CarlosH

Sep 8, 2010
I'm a Venezuelan native. My parents brought me to the USA when i was 12, 8 years ago.
They summited an asylum request to the immigration office in the USA, we were denied about 3 times.

I want to know what are my chances of obtaining asylum status in Canada.

Thanks

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
US and Canada share some immigration info so Canada will likely have access to your US previous asylum files. Most developed countries grant asylum using similar criteria so I would say chances of getting asylum in Canada are slim.

¬m2l

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

me2land said:
US and Canada share some immigration info so Canada will likely have access to your US previous asylum files. Most developed countries grant asylum using similar criteria so I would say chances of getting asylum in Canada are slim.

¬m2l
Also Canada and the US have a safe third country program, i.e. you would have to have made your claim in the US, which you have and it was refused. You would be ineligible to make a claim in Canada.

fat_face

Sep 30, 2010
PMM said:
Hi

Also Canada and the US have a safe third country program, i.e. you would have to have made your claim in the US, which you have and it was refused. You would be ineligible to make a claim in Canada.
True to certain extent, but if the Applicant has a relative in canada who is either a refugee applicant, a permanent resident or a canadian citizen, then there is an exception to the rule and he can apply for asylum in canada based on that exception. And also, the safe third country agreement does not apply to applicants who file for refugee inside canada at a CIC office whether they applied in the U.S before or not or whether they have a relative or not.

fat_face

Sep 30, 2010
me2land said:

¬m2l
Apart from travel info shared between the two countries about the asylum applicant, the merits and content of the claim are hardly shared (even if there is a need to look at the applicant's file, either government must sign a waiver from the applicant to get his/her file from the other country), the decision and merits of the refugee claim are not binding on either the U.S or Canadian refugee/asylum adjudicators.

bruce9078

Star Member
Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

Please can you give me useful links where i can get help to start an asylum process or explain in steps to start an asylum process from my home country.

Looking forward to your reply

Bruce