+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Assault charges

Jan 20, 2015
Would appreciate any advice.
My husband was charged with an assault charge 7 years ago in Hong Kong. It went to court and he only had to pay a small fine. We have just received a request for police certificates for federal skilled workers programme.
Do we need to do the criminal rehabilitation application? What are his chances? Do we just do a regular application for police certificates and wait for further instructions or should we be more proactive and include a letter from a lawyer with the details of the case?
Thanks for anyone who can help.

phoenix07

Star Member
May 2, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO / Warsaw Visa Office
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Nov-14
Doc's Request.
PER received: 19-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
25-Mar-15
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
SLU : 28-Apr-15
Med's Request
13-May-15
Med's Done....
21-May-15
Interview........
TLU : 31-May-15 DM/FLU...........: 18-Jun-15
Passport Req..
06-Jul-15 (17 Days after DM)
VISA ISSUED...
21-Jul-15
LANDED..........
Sooner
maylynnfunnell said:
Would appreciate any advice.
My husband was charged with an assault charge 7 years ago in Hong Kong. It went to court and he only had to pay a small fine. We have just received a request for police certificates for federal skilled workers programme.
Do we need to do the criminal rehabilitation application? What are his chances? Do we just do a regular application for police certificates and wait for further instructions or should we be more proactive and include a letter from a lawyer with the details of the case?
Thanks for anyone who can help.
Though i may not be able to comment on HK laws. With your inputs there was an assault of a minor nature(with circumstantial reasons). So your husband just got away with a small fine. This by no means a show stopper in my opinion. I guess this is the only crime that was ever recorded against your husband and is not heinous in nature. In my humble opinion, Any conviction of very minor nature should not be an issue for entry to Canada. However more details on the case and subject to further review would be needed.

Maybe seniors with some legal background could throw some light..

Jan 20, 2015
Phoenix07, you are very kind to reply. Yes, his only conviction. In our initial application, we did brief the details in the forms and our application was still accepted so I'm hoping will be okay. Thanks again!
If anyone has any experience to share would love to hear from you.