+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asking for advice on quarantine plan and declaring goods

jlyang

Jul 13, 2018
Hi everyone!

So I was originally set to fly last year and asked for advice in the forum regarding quarantine but unfortunately, my plans to fly were delayed because a family emergency came up. But it has already been resolved recently so I'm now making plans again to fly, I just have new questions now because there's been some changes in the SOPs for quarantine now versus last year.

After looking up information online, I've already made plans for a 4D3N stay at a government accredited hotel upon arrival + additional 11D10N stay at a separate Airbnb that's located closer to my friend's place. (She's not going to visit me, but we thought it would be best if I'm located close by just in case there's any emergencies.) I've already downloaded the ArriveCAN app and will submit my details and travel plan as soon as I get the information I need from the airbnb, as well as pre-registered for the swab at the Toronto airport.

I just want to confirm though if:
  1. Are there any places in Toronto Pearson Terminal 3 where I'd be able to get a Canada SIM (I just need it to be able to take calls from the Canada gov't for when they call in to check how I'm doing during quarantine), if so what are the requirements and where can I find the place? (Also, will I be allowed to buy, or am I required to immediately go to the hotel without stopping?),
  2. is it allowed to take an Uber or a taxi from the hotel to the airbnb after the 4D3N is over? (because I can't drive, I don't have a valid license in Canada yet),
  3. is it allowed to receive deliveries to the airbnb like groceries and/or food?, and
  4. I'll be bringing some stuff in that my friend's family asked me to give to her. Do I need to declare those items in my Goods to Bring form?

TYIA!

Last edited:

Homeowner

Jun 12, 2021
not sure if u already landed but here the my few cents :
1- you can go to any 7-11 store (need to google search) and buy a sim card valid for 1yr . incoming calls are free in it anyway, just top up with 10 bucks for any emergency outgoing call you want to make. if you wish to keep the sim than good , as you can port the number to any provider later on when u want settle down to canada if any plans.
2- yes u can take uber and there are taxi at the airport. btw u can drive if u carry a international driving license. book a rent a car from the airport with gps and u save money on taxi . uber is cheap though and more convenient. Just to let u know that the new rule has came up yesterday which eliminates the quarantine period if you are fully vaccinated traveler.
3- yes u can get deliveries on ur airbnb
4- be careful what u bring else end up paying at the airport customs who can not only seize the items but also issue u a fine of couple of thousand of dollars easy. dairy , meat and nuts big no.