+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asking for additional documents and expected date of return

calgybwn

Nov 2, 2022
Hi everyone, I would be grateful if you could help me with my dilemma. I had applied for my citizenship application after completing my 1095+ days living in Canada. I had done my application in late November 2021 and had received my AOR on February 23rd 2022 after which I had travelled to Dubai to be with my mother who has been ill because of her progressive age as I wanted to complete the 1095+ days to apply and then be with her. I have completed my citizenship test overseas as well as provided my fingerprints for background verification. I received a email today from IRCC asking for additional documents (SEE ATTACHMENT) and asking for a expected date of return. I do not have a expected date of return as it is determined by my mothers health and her fate. I can obviously send them rest of the documents, but what should I let them know about my expected date of return. I am really confused, would appreciate the guidance. I HAVE ATTACHED THE REQUEST LETTER TO THIS POST.

Reactions: iceman55

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
You NEED to at least give them a date. Even so, it is likely they'll put your file on hold until your return.
My file only moved after I returned...

calgybwn

Nov 2, 2022
You NEED to at least give them a date. Even so, it is likely they'll put your file on hold until your return.
My file only moved after I returned...
Thank you so much for replying. So what do you suggest? I return ASAP which is going to be very difficult due to my mothers condition. Isnt the 'INTENT TO STAY' part of the application finished since 2017. Wouldn't it be possible for me to provide them all the documents and give them a reason why I cannot state a expected date of return?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Thank you so much for replying. So what do you suggest? I return ASAP which is going to be very difficult due to my mothers condition. Isnt the 'INTENT TO STAY' part of the application finished since 2017. Wouldn't it be possible for me to provide them all the documents and give them a reason why I cannot state a expected date of return?
You can indeed provide them with all the documents they want and also give them a detailed reason as to why you cannot return, ultimately they will either
a) accept your reason and say don't worry (or words to that effect)
b) put your application on hold
c) WORSE CASE - Ask you to withdraw possibly.....

I'm no expert so apologies if my advice isn't helpful, it's not an easy one because you want your citizenship but also have the MASSIVE dilemma of your mother sadly being unwell and rightly so you want to look after her.

I wish you all the best with whatever happens.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Without giving you any false hopes, chances are your file will not progress further till you are in Canada. If you give a date, they will probably schedule your interview / oath, but reschedule again if you are not here.

It is not for anyone to suggest whether you return or not. That is a call you have to take based on your circumstances.

wink

May 25, 2021
I think I saw someone in the forum stating they took their oath being abroad... but I think it is a rare... But bringing "intent to stay" point may not help, as this is not about that... per normal process, one need to be in Canada for the oath, as I understand... but there maybe exceptions... all one can do is explain the situation and see how they respond...

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I think I saw someone in the forum stating they took their oath being abroad... but I think it is a rare... But bringing "intent to stay" point may not help, as this is not about that... per normal process, one need to be in Canada for the oath, as I understand... but there maybe exceptions... all one can do is explain the situation and see how they respond...
It depends on the office. Some offices are very lenient but mine isn't...

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Hi everyone, I would be grateful if you could help me with my dilemma. I had applied for my citizenship application after completing my 1095+ days living in Canada. I had done my application in late November 2021 and had received my AOR on February 23rd 2022 after which I had travelled to Dubai to be with my mother who has been ill because of her progressive age as I wanted to complete the 1095+ days to apply and then be with her. I have completed my citizenship test overseas as well as provided my fingerprints for background verification. I received a email today from IRCC asking for additional documents (SEE ATTACHMENT) and asking for a expected date of return. I do not have a expected date of return as it is determined by my mothers health and her fate. I can obviously send them rest of the documents, but what should I let them know about my expected date of return. I am really confused, would appreciate the guidance. I HAVE ATTACHED THE REQUEST LETTER TO THIS POST.

As others have said you need to give an intended date of return. Could be one or two months from now or something like that. It should be a date you should be willing to keep as well - as much as possible. I understand you're in a difficult situation personally but I think they won't wait for more than 6 months for the oath ceremony, I think that's their maximum hold period for a file.

Also as others have noted bringing up things like intend to stay in your disucssions with IRCC won't be helpful at all. They're handling hundreds of thousands of applications. From their standpoint a lot of people will skip and ask oath/other events to be rescheduled and they will be tied up forever managing their calendar.

I would suggest in your email to IRCC clearly explain your personal situation and provide a tenative date and see what they say.

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018

This is a very difficult one.

They let applicants take the exam abroad only to put things on hold?.

Meanwhile which office is processing your application?

calgybwn

Nov 2, 2022
This is a very difficult one.

They let applicants take the exam abroad only to put things on hold?.

Meanwhile which office is processing your application?
Thanks for replying. Seems like that, then why allow leaving in the first place.

My office is Vancouver IRCC.

calgybwn

Nov 2, 2022
As others have said you need to give an intended date of return. Could be one or two months from now or something like that. It should be a date you should be willing to keep as well - as much as possible. I understand you're in a difficult situation personally but I think they won't wait for more than 6 months for the oath ceremony, I think that's their maximum hold period for a file.

Also as others have noted bringing up things like intend to stay in your disucssions with IRCC won't be helpful at all. They're handling hundreds of thousands of applications. From their standpoint a lot of people will skip and ask oath/other events to be rescheduled and they will be tied up forever managing their calendar.

I would suggest in your email to IRCC clearly explain your personal situation and provide a tenative date and see what they say.
I'm not sure about whether should provide them a clear explanation as I guess that would just give them a reason to place my file on hold, which I feel is going to be the case after all your unanimous replies. I was thinking if I can travel back somehow, until I get my citizenship certificate (Which is being insanely difficult for me to execute due to my mother) and then for once would travel back until my mother needs me. What do you suggest?

Secondly, apologies for jumping ahead, but would I be able to apply for the Canadian passport from the embassy here in Dubai based on the citizenship certificate and can I surrender my Indian passport here or would I have to travel all the way back again for that as well.

calgybwn

Nov 2, 2022
Without giving you any false hopes, chances are your file will not progress further till you are in Canada. If you give a date, they will probably schedule your interview / oath, but reschedule again if you are not here.

It is not for anyone to suggest whether you return or not. That is a call you have to take based on your circumstances.
Thank you so much akbardxb for replying. So do you suggest I travel back to Canada immediately, inform them that I am back, get done with the interview/oath, get issuance of the citizenship certificate and then leave? That is going to be a stretch keeping my mom health in context. Approximately how many months do you think it should be once I return for this.

and once I get the citizenship certificate, can I apply for a passport here in Dubai from the Canadian Embassy and surrender my Indian passport here?
Would appreciate if you could help me out with this.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Thank you so much akbardxb for replying. So do you suggest I travel back to Canada immediately, inform them that I am back, get done with the interview/oath, get issuance of the citizenship certificate and then leave? That is going to be a stretch keeping my mom health in context. Approximately how many months do you think it should be once I return for this.

and once I get the citizenship certificate, can I apply for a passport here in Dubai from the Canadian Embassy and surrender my Indian passport here?
Would appreciate if you could help me out with this.
As I said earlier, it is not for me to suggest what you do. Members have pointed out what likely happens in a scenario like this. There is no guaranteed time limit for any of the processes within the application.
Anecdotal evidence, but enough of it on the forum, to suggest that applicants outside Canada, are facing extended delays - interview, submission of evidence of return to Canada, scheduled/rescheduled oath etc. The key issue here is what matters more to you and what you are willing to give up for this choice.
I made a choice to stick around for my citizenship. Result is I haven't seen my family for almost seven years since I moved here. 2 years of which were consumed by Covid. That's a choice I made. I have friends, who landed in Canada and went back within a few months, never to return because it wasn't for them. Which one of us is right and which one wrong?