+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asking for a friend. Provincial nominee applying for open work permit without LMIA.

freelancer78

Aug 21, 2011
Hello Experts,

I am asking for a friend. He got his provincial nomination in August 2020 then applied for open work permit in December 2020. The result came out yesterday and was refused. The immigration officer was not convinced that he is eligible to apply for an open work permit, he then found out that he did not submitted copy of his provincial nomination certificate and he did not provided LMIA.

Now, I am just trying to clarify if he has a provincial nomination he does not need to provide an LMIA, right?

Thanks in advance.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hello Experts,

I am asking for a friend. He got his provincial nomination in August 2020 then applied for open work permit in December 2020. The result came out yesterday and was refused. The immigration officer was not convinced that he is eligible to apply for an open work permit, he then found out that he did not submitted copy of his provincial nomination certificate and he did not provided LMIA.

Now, I am just trying to clarify if he has a provincial nomination he does not need to provide an LMIA, right?

Thanks in advance.
He doesn’t need new lmia . He have to submit closed work permit application application and his employer have to submit job offer in employer portal and have to pay $230 fees . Then he have to put that compliance number starting with A0000000 in his work permit application. He need work permit support letter from province also.

freelancer78

Aug 21, 2011
So he is not really eligible to apply for an open work permit even if he has provincial nomination certificate? He is anxious right now because his nomination is only valid until Feb. 1st and his WP is expiring on March 8th this year so for him time is of the the essence.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
So he is not really eligible to apply for an open work permit even if he has provincial nomination certificate? He is anxious right now because his nomination is only valid until Feb. 1st and his WP is expiring on March 8th this year so for him time is of the the essence.
No if he have already applied for pr application and haven’t received AOR before his current work permit expires, he have to apply for closed work permit. Also there is new policy coming for pgwp holder next week for renewal of work permit.