+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

asking about commission based jobs

steveca2012

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
I am start a job commission based but it is a NOCB job and related to my major. Due to it is commission based, if good, I can get 3000-4000 dollars a month, but bad with 1000 dollars per month.

If I do this job full time for one year or more, how can I count the time and is that eligible for CEC?

Confused.

Appreciate for any suggestions.

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
steveca2012 said:
I am start a job commission based but it is a NOCB job and related to my major. Due to it is commission based, if good, I can get 3000-4000 dollars a month, but bad with 1000 dollars per month.

If I do this job full time for one year or more, how can I count the time and is that eligible for CEC?

Confused.

As long as u can get reference letter stating ur NOC, one year exp, salary and ur duties..
its fine

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
steveca2012 said:

Confused.

For CEC purposes, the time (total hours) is not related to compensation. The officer reviewing your application will consider them independently. What the officer will look at is what is stated in your reference letter. Best person to ask this question from is your employer. What would they write in your reference letter? As long as it's 52 weeks of full time (~40 hours) or equivalent amount of part time work it's fine.

Compensation should never be below minimum wage but it could have a bonus or commission factor to it. With that being said, if you only get paid by commission that could get tricky. There might be time periods when you do fall below minimum wage.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Being commission-based is not in itself a problem -
" Pursuant to R73(1), “full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week, and pursuant to R73(2) “work” means an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned."

However, you haven't given us enough information to understand whether you might be considered self-employed (not eligible).

Carefully review the section, "Determining an Applicant's Employment Status," pp. 10-12 in the newly updated OP 25A.

www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25A-eng.pdf

steveca2012

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
gladaki said:
As long as u can get reference letter stating ur NOC, one year exp, salary and ur duties..
its fine
Thanks a lot, but I can not guarantee if my salary will be below the minimum level sometimes. Does that matter?

steveca2012

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
thisisauser said:
For CEC purposes, the time (total hours) is not related to compensation. The officer reviewing your application will consider them independently. What the officer will look at is what is stated in your reference letter. Best person to ask this question from is your employer. What would they write in your reference letter? As long as it's 52 weeks of full time (~40 hours) or equivalent amount of part time work it's fine.

Compensation should never be below minimum wage but it could have a bonus or commission factor to it. With that being said, if you only get paid by commission that could get tricky. There might be time periods when you do fall below minimum wage.

You are right, I can not guarantee my salary is always over the minimum level as long as it is commission based. So if so, does that matters? I mean averagely I could be over the minimum level, and also will the commission based job be considered as self-employed?

steveca2012

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
jes_ON said:
Being commission-based is not in itself a problem -
" Pursuant to R73(1), “full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week, and pursuant to R73(2) “work” means an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned."

However, you haven't given us enough information to understand whether you might be considered self-employed (not eligible).

Carefully review the section, "Determining an Applicant's Employment Status," pp. 10-12 in the newly updated OP 25A.

Still confused if this kind of job will be considered as self-employed or not as the compensation sometimes will fall below the minimum wage.

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
steveca2012 said:
You are right, I can not guarantee my salary is always over the minimum level as long as it is commission based. So if so, does that matters? I mean averagely I could be over the minimum level, and also will the commission based job be considered as self-employed?
Let's say you get a reference letter that says you worked for a year for a total of $15000. Assuming 52 weeks and 40 hr/week to keep it simple, you were paid around $7 an hour.

This would likely be a problem.

I suggest you ask for a modified compensation structure if possible that assures you end up above minimum wage.

Regarding employment status, I'm not sure to be honest. Will you be receiving a T4 issued by your employer? Will there be a contract in place that details terms of employment? Will there be regular payslips with your name and address on them?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
steveca2012 said:
Still confused if this kind of job will be considered as self-employed or not as the compensation sometimes will fall below the minimum wage.
I gave you the link to the OP 25A - did you read it?

Compensation has nothing to do with whether it is self-employed or not, it has to do with the relationship with your employer. You would need to give us a lot more details about what you do and who you work for to even begin to guess.

steveca2012

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
thisisauser said:
Let's say you get a reference letter that says you worked for a year for a total of $15000. Assuming 52 weeks and 40 hr/week to keep it simple, you were paid around $7 an hour.

I suggest you ask for a modified compensation structure if possible that assures you end up above minimum wage.

Regarding employment status, I'm not sure to be honest. Will you be receiving a T4 issued by your employer? Will there be a contract in place that details terms of employment? Will there be regular payslips with your name and address on them?
Thanks a lot

steveca2012

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
thisisauser said:

Thanks a lot