+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asked about Residency Obligation at border today - help!

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Hi all,
I had something happen at the border yesterday that has really been scaring me. I was flying back into Canada from Australia after 1 week away and I was asked by the CBSA officer if I've "fulfilled" my residency obligation (RO). I've never, ever been asked this before.

For some background, I've been a permanent resident for five years this month, starting in October 2013 (FSW1). I've spent 2.9 of those years in Canada and the rest abroad; I'm married to a Canadian citizen, own the home we live in (in Canada), filed all of my Canadian taxes for the last four years, etc.. Anyway, I've got nearly 1100 days over the last 5 years in Canada, and my PR card is about to expire. I recently applied for a PR card renewal and this is why I'm sure of my time spent in Canada, as I had to calculate precise dates.

When I was directly asked if I've fulfilled my RO, I said yes, and that was the only question before I was allowed to enter.

In all the times I've entered/re-entered Canada, I've never once been asked about my RO. I only applied for renewal 3 weeks ago (I don't plan on leaving Canada again in the near future) so I find it hard to believe that they asked me this question based on PR renewal application since I doubt they've even opened it yet and I've received no communication from IRCC about it. Could it be that the CBSA officer asked me this question because my PR card is expiring in 2 months? Or is it possible he asked me this because there's already an investigation going on behind the scenes about this? I have nothing to hide and I absolutely have met the RO; I'm just a month short of being able to apply for citizenship. I'm just worried that today's question is indicative of some bigger investigation that will take a long time and be a headache for me. Dpenabill, have you ever heard of anyone else being asked this specific question?

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi all,
I had something happen at the border yesterday that has really been scaring me. I was flying back into Canada from Australia after 1 week away and I was asked by the CBSA officer if I've "fulfilled" my residency obligation (RO). I've never, ever been asked this before.

For some background, I've been a permanent resident for five years this month, starting in October 2013 (FSW1). I've spent 2.9 of those years in Canada and the rest abroad; I'm married to a Canadian citizen, own the home we live in (in Canada), filed all of my Canadian taxes for the last four years, etc.. Anyway, I've got nearly 1100 days over the last 5 years in Canada, and my PR card is about to expire. I recently applied for a PR card renewal and this is why I'm sure of my time spent in Canada, as I had to calculate precise dates.

When I was directly asked if I've fulfilled my RO, I said yes, and that was the only question before I was allowed to enter.

In all the times I've entered/re-entered Canada, I've never once been asked about my RO. I only applied for renewal 3 weeks ago (I don't plan on leaving Canada again in the near future) so I find it hard to believe that they asked me this question based on PR renewal application since I doubt they've even opened it yet and I've received no communication from IRCC about it. Could it be that the CBSA officer asked me this question because my PR card is expiring in 2 months? Or is it possible he asked me this because there's already an investigation going on behind the scenes about this? I have nothing to hide and I absolutely have met the RO; I'm just a month short of being able to apply for citizenship. I'm just worried that today's question is indicative of some bigger investigation that will take a long time and be a headache for me. Dpenabill, have you ever heard of anyone else being asked this specific question?
You need not worry unduly. It's a reasonable question for CBSA to ask, if only to assess your reaction to the query. Had you been evasive, they might have decided to dig a little more...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I agree with @canuck78 and @zardoz, although the amount of time you have been outside Canada may have been a factor as well as the expiration date of the PR card.

But it appears to have been NO more than a casual query given, as others have said, the fact you are returning to Canada near the expiration date of your PR card. If there was real concern about your compliance there would have been a referral to Secondary and more extensive questioning as to more precise accounting of time in Canada. And these days it appears this usually involves a written residency questionnaire.

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Thanks to all, I really appreciate your replies!