+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ASIVAD and Seniors help needed to understand expiry of PR

Dreams1985

Sep 17, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Asivad,

i got passport stamped and my PR visa is valid for 5 years. Now my question is we need to stay 4 out of 5 years to obtain citizenship. What if I stayed only for 3 years and want to reapply for PR. Do i need to follow the entire process again for renew of PR card like creating EE profile, waiting for ITA and submit all documents again or Since we already are PR holder process is different and faster,

Please clarify

ag2015usa

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
If you spend 2 out of 5 years (specifically 730 days, not necessarily contiguous), you're eligible to renew your PR card. You can do so indefinitely as long as you have spent at least 730 days in the last (rolling period of) 5 years when you renew your PR.

Additionally, let's say you're IN Canada and have spent only 600 days in the last 5 years. This doesn't mean you lose your PR, you just can't renew your PR card till you hit the 730 day mark and CIC is not allowed to look beyond the last 5 years, so you simply wait for a 130 days and then apply for the PR card renewal.

Dreams1985

Sep 17, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks.
'Just a small doubt say I am in Canada for 600 days and my 5 years are over. Then you mention i need to renew my PR card by staying 130 days will that 130 days staying will not be ILLEGAL as my PR is already expired since 5 years are over.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dreams1985 said:
Thanks.
'Just a small doubt say I am in Canada for 600 days and my 5 years are over. Then you mention i need to renew my PR card by staying 130 days will that 130 days staying will not be ILLEGAL as my PR is already expired since 5 years are over.
Your PR card has expired not your PR status.

hossamo33

Mar 17, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Your PR card has expired not your PR status.
but if your PR card has expired, shouldnt your PR status be expired as well? I don't get it, whats the point of holding a PR card if it has nothing to do with your PR status? What good does a valid PR card do for you then, if all you need is a good PR status? Can you please explain more?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
</script>ick="storeCaret(this);" onkeyup="storeCaret(this);" onchange="storeCaret(this);" tabindex="2">
hossamo33 said:
but if your PR card has expired, shouldnt your PR status be expired as well? I don't get it, whats the point of holding a PR card if it has nothing to do with your PR status? What good does a valid PR card do for you then, if all you need is a good PR status? Can you please explain more?
No - your PR status does not expire with your PR card. Your PR card is needed to enter Canada. That's what it's for. To keep your PR status you must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hossamo33 said:
PR card is a facilitator at port of entry in Canada and enabler at various Canadian federal and provincial agencies. A PR card can (and does) expire but PR status can be withdrawn (by CIC for a number of reasons including deliberate lying on the application), relinquished (by the PR themselves), lapse (by inaction on the part of the PR in not maintaining resident status inside Canada for a period of 730 days within 5 years) or change into Citizenship. It does not expire.

Ashuani

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
3/8/15
Med's Done....
3/8/15
Hi Asivad,
Greetings for the NEW Year.

I got my PPR mail on 7th Jan 2016 and I need to submit the PP within a month. Till now i have not submitted the PP for stamping..Some how the circumstances have changed and I do not want to go..I have paid total CAD 2230 for processing fees and RPRP fees for SELF, SPOUSE and KID

Q-1 How can i take the refund back of the refundable RPRF fees for self and spouse of CAD 490 each??
Q-2 If I get the passport stamped, i will also be issued a COPR letter...Can the refund for RPRF be initiated even after stamping and issue of COPR? Till when can the refund be initiated?? The reason of asking it is to have more time to give a thought to my decision...

Please respond ASAP.. I will be grateful as I have less time in hand

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ashuani said:
Hi Asivad,
Greetings for the NEW Year.

I got my PPR mail on 7th Jan 2016 and I need to submit the PP within a month. Till now i have not submitted the PP for stamping..Some how the circumstances have changed and I do not want to go..I have paid total CAD 2230 for processing fees and RPRP fees for SELF, SPOUSE and KID

Q-1 How can i take the refund back of the refundable RPRF fees for self and spouse of CAD 490 each??

Send a mail to the id mentioned in your PPR letter and also raise a CSE for refund.

Q-2 If I get the passport stamped, i will also be issued a COPR letter...Can the refund for RPRF be initiated even after stamping and issue of COPR? Till when can the refund be initiated?? The reason of asking it is to have more time to give a thought to my decision...

Yes. You can get the RPRF component refunded at any point in time till you do the actual 'landing'.

Please respond ASAP.. I will be grateful as I have less time in hand

Ashuani

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
3/8/15
Med's Done....
3/8/15
Thanks Asivad

I have not received any PPR letter but a mail from the following ID`s which ask for a passport and a photograph for all members..
"CPCO-FinalRequest / CTDO-DemandeFinale (CIC) " <IRCC.CPCO-FinalRequest-CTDO-DemandeFinale.IRCC@cic.gc.ca>

I have some more Qs

Q- How do i raise a CSE?
Q- As per your answer, will be not be good to get the stamp right now and if i change my mind later on also before landing, I can still ask for the refund for RPRF fee?
Q- How will the refund happen as I have paid through a Credit card from outside Canada on CIC website while submitting the express entry form?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ashuani said:
Thanks Asivad

I have not received any PPR letter but a mail from the following ID`s which ask for a passport and a photograph for all members..
"CPCO-FinalRequest / CTDO-DemandeFinale (CIC) " <IRCC.CPCO-FinalRequest-CTDO-DemandeFinale.IRCC@cic.gc.ca>

I have some more Qs

Q- How do i raise a CSE?

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

Q- As per your answer, will be not be good to get the stamp right now and if i change my mind later on also before landing, I can still ask for the refund for RPRF fee?

Your choice but that course of action is indeed possible.

Q- How will the refund happen as I have paid through a Credit card from outside Canada on CIC website while submitting the express entry form?

Refunded back to that card.