+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

As a Canadian PR, what are my options?

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by Mirapakay, Oct 7, 2019.

  1. Hello Experts,

    I've moved to Canada permanently as a PR but left out with many questions and thought senior members here can shed some light.

    1. I would like to bring my parents here just for visit. Do I apply Visitor visa or Super visa? Also, do I sponsor them or it doesn't matter as far as the outcome is considered?
    2. I've got a home in a province but if I get a job offer in different province, I will be relocating to the new province only for this job and will have my permanent address in the current province. Which province should I be filing my taxes for at the end of the year?
    3. Also, if I don't get any job until end of this year, do I still file CRA tax returns or just IRS tax returns for this year?
    4. Continuation to #2, do I have to get out of province inspection again in the new province since I will be only staying there for 6 months for the job?
    5. Am I eligible to apply for a B-1/B-2 visa right away or should I be waiting for a specific time period before I apply for it?
    6. If there is a job offer for 6 months from US, can I drive my Canadian plated car for 6 months in US, or do I need to do the whole export/import process again along with US registration?

  2. 1. Visitor visa is the easiest. They can stay for up to 6 months.
    2. Not sure, but I think Canada doesn't have provincial income tax, only federal.
    3. I think you should still file returns.
    5. You can certainly apply. The longer you wait, the better your chances. Having strong ties to Canada such as job, residence etc. helps.
    6. Depends upon the state. You may have to import to US again.
  3. Yes there are provincial taxes. You should apply in the province where you are working and living. There are specific residency requirements to receive healthcare in a province. In the situation you describe you may not currently qualify for health coverage in your province. Most require you to stay in the province for over 6 months. I would look up the residency requirements for healthcare in your province so you know whether you have coverage if you move in the near future. A valid health card does not mean you actually have health coverage.
  4. Thanks @canuck78 ! I've never thought about the healthcare part in this whole process. I've got my health card for the current province. Do you think I am not covered in current province then?
  5. Thanks @lampbreaker ! Could you also please answer the second part of #1 in my previous post?
  6. If you plan on moving to another province or the US in the next 6 months you could be asked to repay any care you receive. I would read the website associated with your provincial health plan. The rules are in place to try to limit healthcare spending to those people actually paying to taxes in that province. Also trying to stop people flying in to use healthcare. Some provinces grant healthcare on arrival so some people try to land in those provinces if the need immediate coverage and then move within 6 months.
  7. Visitor visa is their own application. You can help them to file it (online). They can also add your PR card in their letter of explanation/optional documents.

    Super visa and parental PR have to be sponsored by you.
  8. just like to add regarding question 1.
    I think it will depend on your parents ties back to their home country and what country they are from. If they have good jobs, property etc and can show easily that they are short term visitors and need to return then a visitor visa is easier. You cannot sponsor them for visitor visa, it is their finances and their assets and their profiles which will be considered.
    Supervisa I would say is easier to be approved for. That is because some of the burden is shifted from the parents to yourself. In this case you would "sponsor" them in a sense in that you would have to show that you meet minimum income requirements to cover your entire family plus parents. This is usually done with your tax filings. So if you haven't earned enough yet then this option might not be for you. Your parents would also require medical insurance.

    and to add to #5, the stronger your ties to Canada the easier it will be to get a USA visitor visa. They need to know that you will leave the country. So I wouldn't apply immediately after landing in Canada.

    regarding #6, I would look into the rules, not sure if you could just go into the states and work you might need a work permit or something. In Canada foreigners require a work permit if they want to work and cannot work on a visitor visa.
  9. Oh yeah! I wouldn't come just for healthcare and pay taxes in some other country. :)
  10. Doesn't adding my PR card also makes me to show some funds for their stay here?
  11. Thanks @Jets13 for the detailed explanation. I am not sure how much funds either myself (in case of Super Visa) or my parents (in case of Visitor Visa) should show. Also, can I show funds from my US account in the case of Super Visa that I can cover the expenses for my parents when they are here?
  12. It also has to do with moving between provinces. Healthcare is run by each province separately and they all have different rules and systems. They want people to be settled in their province and to be paying into their tax base to receive health coverage. You can use your health card in another province but not longterm. This is often an issue when people arrive in Canada but then decide to move within the first 6 months or do a short landing for a few months and return home. Some have waited to address health issues because they would have had to pay in their own country or have chronic conditions so need to see a doctor to get prescriptions or tests when they arrive to Canada. Many are not aware that there are residency requirements to qualify for healthcare even with a valid card. Even Canadians citizens returning from working abroad must reapply and wait 3 months to receive coverage in some provinces.
  13. so supervisa is based on your annual income. you need to show you are earning as per below. If you are single and are inviting parents you need make enough for 3 people, if you are married then 4 people and if you have any kids then its 4 plus any kids.

    Low Income Cut-Off (LICO)
    Size of Family Unit Minimum necessary gross income
    1 person (your child or grandchild) $24,949
    2 persons $31,061
    3 persons $38,185
    4 persons $46,362
    5 persons $52,583
    6 persons $59,304
    7 persons $66,027
    More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $6,723

    For regular visa there is no such clear cut answer. It is what makes sense in the eyes of the officer. For example, lets say their savings are $3000 cad, well then it doesn't make sense that they will spend nearly their entire life savings on a short trip to Canada. I have heard estimates where people say $1000 per week they are staying but that is just an estimate, there is no clear cut minimum limit like the one that is outlined for super visa.
  14. Thanks for sharing all the knowledge bro! :) This forum is real wealth for Canada aspirants.
  15. Thanks again @Jets13 ! So, since I am yet to get a job in Canada and say if I get a contract job for 3 months. Would that be still considered in terms of annual income? If so, my total might not be $24,949 for a single person right?

Share This Page