29-09-2016
AOR Received.
11-10-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront: 28-07-2016
LANDED..........
14-02-2017
Hi,

I landed as a permanent resident yesterday, after arriving in Ottawa on Jan 10th. I've manage to accomplish several things since arriving and i thought others might find it useful if I shared some of what I've found.

Arriving - I arrived with my wife and daughter (both Canadian). All I said was I'd applied for permanent residence and was visiting at this point. No quizzing from immigration, no mention of dual intent, or need to show proof of funds or proof of my PR application.

Car - We decided to do a lease takeover since we found my wife has a good credit record as she has had a Canadian credit card all the time she was in the UK. Dealer registered the vehicle in my wife's name with no issues, since she exchanged her UK licence for an Ontario one in our first week here. Most notable was insurance; several posts have mentioned Johnson insurance as offering good rates to new arrivals and honouring overseas driving records. I can confirm this is the case - Johnson were by far the most competitive quote, and the only insurer to honour my wife's full Ontario driving history since she obtained a G licence in 1989. They also took our UK insurance history into account since 2011, and did not even need to see a letter from the company who insured us from 2012 to 2016.

COPR - I recieved this with no big issues. Only minor glitch was being asked to upload a scan of my passport to myCIC, when the myCIC site gave me no option to do this. So I attached the scan as a case specific enquiry.

Driving Licence - Here is where the real surprises and excitement start. I'd thought I'd need to wait until I had the COPR in hand until I could do things like driving licence.... NO! DriveTest centre on Walkley Road Ottawa exchanged my UK licence for a temporary ON one and only needed to see my UK licence. No COPR or proof of address needed.

Bank Account - Ditto. BMO at Elmvale Ottawa only needed to see my UK passport and (I think) my temporary ON licence. No COPR needed. And they give new arrivals free banking for a year (I think other banks do this too).

Landing - The really fun bit! I had called the call centre when I got my COPR, and was told I could land as a PR at the CIC office on 365 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of any month, 10am to 2pm, no appointment needed. The errors and omissions in this advice became apparent yesterday when I went to 365 Laurier Avenue West to be met with blank looks, shaking of heads and "call centre wrong again" comments. After a bit of digging, one fellow directed me to 200 Catherine St. This was the right office, however no person or document had stated that I needed yet more photographs or that my sponsor also needed to be present! Luckily my wife was also in the downtown area so we met up after I nipped to Staples to part with yet more dollars for yet more photos, and we went back to 200 Catherine where I finally landed as a PR. We needed to show proof we continue to live together, which we did by showing our ON driver licences. Utility bills stating both names would also have worked.

OHIP and SiN - Leaving these for now. OHIP, my wife was told to wait until she had her photocard ON driver licence to show proof of address, so I will do the same.

Hope this info is useful. Bear in mind that it worked for me in Ottawa but no guarantee it will work for you too!

Andrew.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Very useful thanks. We will also be landing in Ottawa, albeit doing so at the airport in April.

TeamCMOR

Star Member
Nov 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2016
Doc's Request.
Waived
AOR Received.
05-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA August 11,2016
Med's Request
Passed
Med's Done....
03-05-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 16, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
April 6, 2017
LANDED..........
April 25 2017
My husband plans to land in Ottawa too. Wow this was very useful.

Thank you very much for sharing! All the best to you and family.

ck85

Apr 9, 2013
any more experiences or information on landing at Ottawa airport ? is it better than Toronto ?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
any more experiences or information on landing at Ottawa airport ? is it better than Toronto ?
I can't speak to landing at Ottawa because my husband never did but he has been through at Toronto more than once when he was coming in on Work Permits and it avoids it like the plague now. He started making sure he only ever came back into Canada at St Johns from Ireland because he had so many nasty agents in TO

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
My landing experience at Ottawa here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/landed-pr-ottawa-airport-895318/

As to whether it is 'better' than Toronto, no one will be able to say as you can only land once, so no one will have experience of landing at both I wouldn't have thought. One thought though, there are far fewer direct flights from the UK to Ottawa than for Toronto (we used Air Canada from LHR to Ottawa).

Toronto is a huge 'hub' airport for Canada and is very busy (think Heathrow). Ottawa by contrast is a small airport (think a smaller version of Birmingham airport) and a far more civilised experience IMHO.

Last edited: