England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Hi all. I should have included this in my post a few months back but it has only just occurred to me....its amazing what runs through my crazy little head in the early hours of the morning !! ???

When we arrive in Edmonton my 2 sons & I are citizens, my fiance will be doing his PR landing. When we get to customs, I know that he has to tell them he is landing etc. but what do we have to do? I have been living in the UK since I was a child, so does anyone need to know that I'm moving over there or do I just 'turn up'?

Also, while he is doing his landing stuff does anyone know if we can be with him? I don't really want to go through to arrivals and meet my family and then have to wait around for an unknown amount of time until he comes through.

Any insight from anyone??

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to follow him in the Immigration section as he has his own passport with the Canadian visa and the original COPR with him. You can wait outside the Immigration ( or at the baggage claim area) for your fiance who will finish the formalities with thin 15-20 minutes maximum.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Your fiance needs to have a personal inventory form filled out and ready to submit when he lands. This allows him to import his personal belongings - and any of his things that he will ship later - into Canada without paying duties. Once he has completed his landing (and you may be able to go to that with him - my husband was with me), he will go over to Customs and deal with the inventory form. It kind of all depends on the set up at whatever port of landing you're flying into, but usually Immigration and Customs is right together and if you're with him during the landing, you can just walk with him over to Customs also. Again, it really depends on the set up at the POE, but I would definitely go together to the officer at Immigration as a family - and that person will then probably just send all of you in to secondary where they complete the landing interview. My advice: stay together if you want to until such time as someone tells you that you can't.

One other thought: you will need to import items also . . . or it may be that all of your household can be imported with him. Either way, you should have everything included on the import forms, with a separate list for anything being shipped after. (I put everything into an Excel spreadsheet, printed it out and attached it to the form.) You might want to call CBSA for more information about how you should do this as you and your children are Canadian citizens - essentially "returning" to Canada (even though you've never really lived here), but what you're allowed to bring in duty free is different from him. Whether he can bring in - duty free - all of the family's belongings should probably be found out before you arrive.

talbott32

Dec 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/06/2010
Med's Done....
20/5/2010
Passport Req..
28/12/2010
Hi, Robsluv or anyone else who can help.
I have a Question hopefully you can answer for me. I'm doing my personal inventory form for when I do my landing next Tuesday. The question I have is do I have to write down every single article of clothing i'm bringing along with me & how much it is worth? Plus I was sponsored by my common law partner, do I have to show proof of funds?

Thanks for any help someone can give me.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
talbott32 said:
Hi, Robsluv or anyone else who can help.
I have a Question hopefully you can answer for me. I'm doing my personal inventory form for when I do my landing next Tuesday. The question I have is do I have to write down every single article of clothing i'm bringing along with me & how much it is worth? Plus I was sponsored by my common law partner, do I have to show proof of funds?

Thanks for any help someone can give me.
Generalize on the clothing, "boxes of clothing", not individual garments.
No proof of funds required.

talbott32

Dec 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/06/2010
Med's Done....
20/5/2010