+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arrived in Canada: Choosing Uni?

yellowbellow

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
Hi guys,

I have arrived in Canada on a student permit for University of Saskatchewan, Bachelors of Commerce for summer term.

I'm having second thoughts for going to saskatoon. While I'm here in Toronto, I'm thinking of applying at Humber college for the Bachelors of Commerce.

Do you guys think I should attend University of Saskatchewan or Humber college. The Pro's/Con's are making me confused such as: Saskatchewan is cold but that uni is great! Toronto is not that cold, much better city but Humber college is OK.

What do you guys think?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would stick with the University of S. A degree from a real university will go much farther with employers. Humber has a good reputation as a college - but you can't compare it to a university. A college is simply not on the same level as a university. I'll bet most employers in Canada don't even know that Humber is allowed to grant Bachelor degrees.

If you want to remain in Toronto, get admission to U of T or York.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Hey, I'm also starting my masters degree in the University of Saskatchewan this Fall. It's a very good university and far better than the college. But if you can get into the University of Toronto, then it's better. If not then stay with U of S. Keep in touch. I will arrive in Saskatoon soon. We're in the same department too. Welcome!!!

yellowbellow

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
I applied to ryerson in 2012 but they put me on the waiting list. Anyway, Saskatoon seems like a good choice. It's just that it's extremely cold there and I want to pay tuition by working myself. Let's see.

Any other opinion?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
yellowbellow said:
I applied to ryerson in 2012 but they put me on the waiting list. Anyway, Saskatoon seems like a good choice. It's just that it's extremely cold there and I want to pay tuition by working myself. Let's see.

Any other opinion?
You simply cannot LEGALLY work enough hours to cover your Intl Fees, no matter what. You are only allowed to work 20 hours/week during the academic terms and full time during scheduled breaks. You should consider yourself lucky, it this get you enough money to pay your living expenses (outside of fees)

yellowbellow

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
I know that dude. This is why I said, well see.

All im curious for is which uni I should attend. That's all I need help for. Thanks

dok

Apr 20, 2014
yellowbellow said:

All im curious for is which uni I should attend. That's all I need help for. Thanks
Are you paying fees at U of S?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yellowbellow said:

If you want to be in Toronto - then U of T or York. Otherwise U of S.

Of the three, U of T has the best reputation followed by York.

yellowbellow

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
scylla said:
If you want to be in Toronto - then U of T or York. Otherwise U of S.

Of the three, U of T has the best reputation followed by York.
U of T and York are both competitive and expensive for me :( Even though it would be a dream to attend either. I have admission into U of S so I guess I shouldn't let that go. 4 years of bachelors when I had completed 2 years already in US. U of S didn't transfer my credits :(

yellowbellow

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
dok said:
Hey, I'm also starting my masters degree in the University of Saskatchewan this Fall. It's a very good university and far better than the college. But if you can get into the University of Toronto, then it's better. If not then stay with U of S. Keep in touch. I will arrive in Saskatoon soon. We're in the same department too. Welcome!!!
Congrats! Have you gotten your visa yet? I'm looking forward to attending Edwards School of Business.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks)) I've already gotten study permit approval. I hope you finally decide to come to Saskatoon!

yellowbellow

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
dok said:
Thanks)) I've already gotten study permit approval. I hope you finally decide to come to Saskatoon!
Nice, I'm joining Uni of Sask. Do you think it'll be a problem if I miss the first week of classes? I'm going to miss 1 1/2 week of school, travelling issues.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
There are deadlines for registration. Contact your admission office or department. They can confirm if it's ok to miss registration and classes for more than a week. Besides, I don't see why you should be missing classes for weeks while you're already in Canada and your main purpose is to study.