+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arrive without a study visa?

1laguy

Aug 10, 2010
I just got my acceptance letter to school a week ago and my classes start in January. I am flying to Vancouver in a little over a week..am I going to be allowed in with just my acceptance letter and passport from the USA?

I applied for the study visa online today and paid the processing fee but I think the processing time is at least a month.

I studied in Vancouver back in 03 and am trying to remember how I did it there. Is it possible that they let me in with just my acceptance letter and then I have to drive back to the immigration office on the border one my visa is ready? Or can they give me a visa at the airport (was it neccesary to apply online and pay like I did?)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1laguy said:
I just got my acceptance letter to school a week ago and my classes start in January. I am flying to Vancouver in a little over a week..am I going to be allowed in with just my acceptance letter and passport from the USA?

I applied for the study visa online today and paid the processing fee but I think the processing time is at least a month.

I studied in Vancouver back in 03 and am trying to remember how I did it there. Is it possible that they let me in with just my acceptance letter and then I have to drive back to the immigration office on the border one my visa is ready? Or can they give me a visa at the airport (was it neccesary to apply online and pay like I did?)
As a US citizen you can get your study permit at the Port of Entry on entry. You require your letter of acceptance, proof of funds for the first year fees, and proof of $10K for living expenses for the first year as well funds for return transportation.

zub2612

Jul 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Probably never.
PMM said:
Hi

As a US citizen you can get your study permit at the Port of Entry on entry. You require your letter of acceptance, proof of funds for the first year fees, and proof of $10K for living expenses for the first year as well funds for return transportation.
As a UK citizen, can I just fly to Canada with Acceptance Letter and Bank Statement showing sufficient funds?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

zub2612 said:
As a UK citizen, can I just fly to Canada with Acceptance Letter and Bank Statement showing sufficient funds?
No, only residents of the US can do that. You have to apply to London for a study permit.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zub2612 said:
:)

Still you need a study/work permit to study/work in Canada. You are exempt from TRV only.