+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arrive in Toronto 14 days back. Waiting for PR card. Can I apply for Ontario health insurance?

Angad25

Aug 14, 2019
Arrive in Toronto 14 days back. Waiting for PR card. Can I apply for Ontario health insurance before my PR card arrives in the mail?
Also, I need to open a bank account and only have my passport as an ID. Will that be sufficient?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Arrive in Toronto 14 days back. Waiting for PR card. Can I apply for Ontario health insurance before my PR card arrives in the mail?
Also, I need to open a bank account and only have my passport as an ID. Will that be sufficient?

Thanks!
Yes you can apply for OHIP begore you get your PR card if you plan on meeting the residency requirements for OHIP. Did you move to Ontario permanently? Will you be in Canada for the next 6 months? Would suggest you read up on the residency obligations to qualify for OHIP. The rules vary between each province but having a valid card doesn’t mean you qualify for healthcare coverage.

Angad25

Aug 14, 2019
Great! Thanks a lot. Yes I am looking for a job in Toronto and plan on being here. Would you recommend getting my own insurance until the OHIP kicks in?