+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arrange Marriage Sponsorship

Ebaad khan

Jun 12, 2015
Hi guys!!

I need some information about sponsorship process. I am a Canadian citizen getting married in Pakistan. I have 3 questions:

1. If I go to Pakistan to get married, what documents do I require to bring back to Canada from my spouse to file the sponsorship application?

2. Does the sponsorship application only have to be filed by me in Canada? or my spouse also has to file an application from Pakistan?

3. Last question, since it is going to be an arranged marriage it is obvious that I have never had that much of contact with my spouse to be. It will be a traditional wedding within the family and while we were young our elders decided that we would get married to each other when we grow old. Would it work in my favor or the bonding in my relationship has to be stronger with my spouse despite the fact that our families are really close?

I will appreciate any help from any of you :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Both the application to sponsor and the application to immigrate are sent in together.

An arranged marriage is fine for immigration purposes. The best thing to do is to make sure that you do everything that someone from your culture would do when getting married. For example, if big wedding celebrations are the norm in your ethnic group, definitely have a big wedding celebration. With an arranged marriage, the visa officer has less to go on to decide about whether the relationship is real, so they rely more on the wedding preparations and the ceremony and reception than they would for a love marriage.

You are more likely to be approved if you have both the nikah and rukhsati (if that is your culture). Some people have been approved with only the nikah, but often such cases lead to a refusal and an appeal, and the appeals are not always granted.

You should also provide proof of how your marriage was arranged, so the history of your two families and how and why they decided you two should marry is important. Describe how they decided you two should be partners, and provide proof. For example, the parents on both sides could provide letters or affidavits about this to be included in your application.

You'll need proof you are married; identity documents; ideally lots of photos of the two of you; etc. Look at the application before you come back to Canada to see what exactly they require from Pakistani applicants.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Here's a link to all you need: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

1. Since your spouse lives outside Canada, this is the application package: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
You (Canadian sponsor) completes Part 1: Sponsorship forms
Your wife completes Part 2: Immigration forms - bring these to Canada
Your wife completes Part 3: Country specific Instructions. Here's the one for Pakistani applicants: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3907e.pdf - bring these to Canada

Please note: IMM 1344 (under Part 1) has to be signed by both of you - it is the sponsorship agreement and undertaking. - bring this to Canada

If you plan to hire a lawyer for the process, prepare two IMM 5476 forms (Use of a Representative) - on one, you sign as the "applicant" and your wife as the "spouse/common-law partner" and on the second one, you sign as the "spouse/common-law partner" and she as the "applicant". Bring both forms back, then when you hire a lawyer, they just need to complete the rest of the forms by hand. That's what I did.

Check the forms right up to when you are about to return to Canada to confirm whether the version (month and year at the bottom) has been updated. CIC tends to update them every few months, so you want to ensure you complete the current version.

2. The complete package has to be mailed to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario. If you are approved to sponsor, the application will be sent to the visa office that processes applications for Pakistani applicants for the processing of your your wife's permanent resident application.

3. Applications are processed keeping in mind the culture and traditions of the couple. If arranged marriages are common in your culture, CIC already knows this and will be looking to see if you guys followed your culture. Very important to perform any rites that are necessary. Example: it is common for Indian weddings to have 300 people, so if an Indian couple has just 50 people at their wedding, CIC will likely question it and want to know why.

Explain your culture in detail, how you applied it to your relationship, what investigations were done by both sides to determine you guys were a suitable match - you can even ask your parents to write a letter about it, etc. If there is anything that is usually done but you guys did not do, explain why and if applicable, when you plan to do it, etc. This way you answer any potential questions they might have.

Take lots of pictures, two of you together and also with your families, friends, etc. Not all pictures have to be from the wedding. Take some photos as you prepare for the wedding e.g. going shopping for stuff, visiting, etc. Dress very well and smile in your photos, etc. Keep receipts for your reception, etc. Above all, be yourself, be happy and enjoy your wedding. Congratulations!