+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Areas in Montreal to look for an apartment

ggree

Jan 24, 2013
Hi there!

I'll be joining John Molson School of Business as an exchange student in the spring of 2014. I'm traveling with two other guys, whereas one of us is going on McGill. We're currently looking for housing, but don't really know much about in which areas to look. We need three bedroom and the apartment should be furnished. Our budget is about 1.300 to 2.000 if it's relevant. I've had a look at Craigslist and Kijiji, but hope there will be more offerings closer to January. We're planning to stay from January to May.

We'd like to stay downtown and not too far from the schools. I've heard about Old Montreal, but there's not many offerings within our price range. Is this far away from the city? The apartment should have a good standard. Where should we look? We're not familiar with the city at all. Hope you could come up with different alternatives and a quick description of the areas!

Thank you!

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Old Montreal is close, but expensive. Students don't really live there. Are you looking something close to downtown? You are going to pay through the nose for furnished apartment and almost no one will rent you for 5 months only.

Try Verdun or Hochelaga. It is a bit.... how to say politely, low income but very close to subway and schools you mentioned. And it's cheap.

Nov 6, 2013
I suggest not to go to Cote des Neiges. Cheap but overcrowded and not extremely clean, plus many unemployed addicted individuals. However, it has good infrastructure - 2 Wallmarts, plenty of Dollaramas etc. I was living 4 months there. My building was full of bugs and smelled marijuana 24 hours a day. I could not even sleep because of the disgusting stink and neighbours beating each other in the euphoria of heroine. When I went to complain to concierge, he opened eyes wide and said: "So what? Everybody smokes it in Canada".

I live at Cremazie metro now, 540 $ one bed flat all bills included. Very nice and quite area, plus relatively close to downtown. Still can smell marijuana late at night though (seems no way to avoid this disgusting stink in Canada). There are nice and cheap houses around Pie IX metro too.

You do not really need to be close to downtown because the metro system is very good. Besides, the closer to downtown, the more bums you will meet. You just need to be close to metro.

kikakay

Oct 17, 2013
WillLeaveOnceIGetPassport said:
I suggest not to go to Cote des Neiges. Cheap but overcrowded and not extremely clean, plus many unemployed addicted individuals. However, it has good infrastructure - 2 Wallmarts, plenty of Dollaramas etc. I was living 4 months there. My building was full of bugs and smelled marijuana 24 hours a day. I could not even sleep because of the disgusting stink and neighbours beating each other in the euphoria of heroine. When I went to complain to concierge, he opened eyes wide and said: "So what? Everybody smokes it in Canada".

I live at Cremazie metro now, 540 $ one bed flat all bills included. Very nice and quite area, plus relatively close to downtown. Still can smell marijuana late at night though (seems no way to avoid this disgusting stink in Canada). There are nice and cheap houses around Pie IX metro too.

You do not really need to be close to downtown because the metro system is very good. Besides, the closer to downtown, the more bums you will meet. You just need to be close to metro.
Thanks for the info. I am flying within this week as an immigrant in Montreal. I am looking for an apartment for 1, I don't want to share with someone else. I am also looking for a good budget friendly hotel for a day or two but I'm not sure if I could find an apartment within those days (I'm optimistic though). Do you know any hotel or apartment? I saw a lot of nice apartments in craigslist and kijiji.com but I prefer to see the place before I rent it.

Nov 6, 2013
I was staying at Berri suites for 1 month when I came, it is a furnished studio hotel with all bills included. Furniture is old, but it is safe, warm and quiet. They also have night stays. It cost me 700 CAD for 1 month. It is city centre and close to all government bodies you will need to go in first weeks - RAMQ, service Canada, etc. Hotels are very expensive. You will be paying 150 CAd per night and you will not probably find a good flat in 2 nights because in winter housing supply is weak.

Another furnished hotel is motel Excel, if I am not mistaken. It was 600 CAd for month earlier this year, but they are far from metro and it is not funny to walk through mountains of snow in winter

And do not go to hostels please, if you do not want to sleep in marijuana smoke.

kikakay said:
Thanks for the info. I am flying within this week as an immigrant in Montreal. I am looking for an apartment for 1, I don't want to share with someone else. I am also looking for a good budget friendly hotel for a day or two but I'm not sure if I could find an apartment within those days (I'm optimistic though). Do you know any hotel or apartment? I saw a lot of nice apartments in craigslist and kijiji.com but I prefer to see the place before I rent it.

kikakay

Oct 17, 2013
I was staying at Berri suites for 1 month when I came, it is a furnished studio hotel with all bills included. Furniture is old, but it is safe, warm and quiet. They also have night stays. It cost me 700 CAD for 1 month. It is city centre and close to all government bodies you will need to go in first weeks - RAMQ, service Canada, etc. Hotels are very expensive. You will be paying 150 CAd per night and you will not probably find a good flat in 2 nights because in winter housing supply is weak.

Another furnished hotel is motel Excel, if I am not mistaken. It was 600 CAd for month earlier this year, but they are far from metro and it is not funny to walk through mountains of snow in winter

And do not go to hostels please, if you do not want to sleep in marijuana smoke.
Yes, I've noticed that it is a bit pricey. Thanks for that info. I will take your advice in one of those studios. I will try to book for a week or two.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing valuable info. I would appreciate if some one can suggest some further.

I will be moving to Montreal on twp in Jan. My work place will be in Saint-Nicolas street. I was looking for a relatively cheap (300-500) single accommodation first. Might be okay to share (though the thought might not be very okay, since i am coming from Asia and not at all used to any thing even close to marijuana and would be a practicing muslim with a beard). Pretty good english but zero french.

I intend to rent for say six months or so, because latter i will bring in my family and will probably move to a bigger place.

Some body advised considering sharing apartment with say MG Gill students? Any ideas?

Nov 6, 2013
It is possible to find a single studio for 500 CAD but it will be quite far from metro and will be closer to the end of metro lines (like Angrignon, Henri Bourassa). Most leases are 1 year long here so you should be looking for lease transfer adverts (means someone will be desperate to transfer lease for his flat in the middle of contract as they will be leaving, moving etc.)
I suggest not to share accommodation with anyone, especially with students, if you are a practicing muslim (unless that person is practicing muslim too). You will have a cultural shock from cohabiting with such person.

fkl said:
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing valuable info. I would appreciate if some one can suggest some further.

I will be moving to Montreal on twp in Jan. My work place will be in Saint-Nicolas street. I was looking for a relatively cheap (300-500) single accommodation first. Might be okay to share (though the thought might not be very okay, since i am coming from Asia and not at all used to any thing even close to marijuana and would be a practicing muslim with a beard). Pretty good english but zero french.

I intend to rent for say six months or so, because latter i will bring in my family and will probably move to a bigger place.

Some body advised considering sharing apartment with say MG Gill students? Any ideas?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Thank you very much WillLeaveOnceIGetPassport.

I have had a few old coworkers / class mates some of which moved to Montreal either working in some software company or studied at Mc Gill. I will try to reach those too for finding a person closer to my culture.

Will the places you mentioned like Angrignon, Burassa be too much away from St Nicolas street (not just distance, i can see that on maps, but in terms of ease of commute via metro etc.)? Will these be okay with English only? Will i be able to find any chances of halaal (muslim) food?

Can you please elaborate the cultural shock part a bit? Given that i am from IT and have frequently worked (at several MNCs) with people (remotely and occasional trips) pretty much from all over the world (mostly US, UK etc.) So i am at ease with every day DEALING in terms of interaction. However, i do understand LIVING together is different. I am just trying to understand how much of an impact will it have? Plus me having better exposure over all might be helpful or not?

I will keep in mind the lease transfer thing. Really appreciate that advice of yours. I didn't know contracts are relatively rigid in Canada in terms of time line.

It is possible to find a single studio for 500 CAD but it will be quite far from metro and will be closer to the end of metro lines (like Angrignon, Henri Bourassa). Most leases are 1 year long here so you should be looking for lease transfer adverts (means someone will be desperate to transfer lease for his flat in the middle of contract as they will be leaving, moving etc.)
I suggest not to share accommodation with anyone, especially with students, if you are a practicing muslim (unless that person is practicing muslim too). You will have a cultural shock from cohabiting with such person.

Nov 6, 2013
I am not familiar with St Nicolas street but if you are close to any metro station, you will commute easily. The metro lines are not very long in Montreal.
Neighbourhoods are not segregated by language, so you will find a mixture of francophones and anglophones in each place. Regarding halal food, there are many maghrebian grocery shops here, but even larger stores like Provigo have halal food.
Regarding cultural shock, I shared flat with 3 PhD students in the past. The stink of marijuana in the kitchen, sex parties In toilets and occassional group sex sound in the rooms of my neighbours represent the "bright" memories of that period. I am not saying that all people from the west I like that, but to be on the safe side I suggest not to share accommodation, except with people from the same background as you.

fkl said:
Thank you very much WillLeaveOnceIGetPassport.

I have had a few old coworkers / class mates some of which moved to Montreal either working in some software company or studied at Mc Gill. I will try to reach those too for finding a person closer to my culture.

Will the places you mentioned like Angrignon, Burassa be too much away from St Nicolas street (not just distance, i can see that on maps, but in terms of ease of commute via metro etc.)? Will these be okay with English only? Will i be able to find any chances of halaal (muslim) food?

Can you please elaborate the cultural shock part a bit? Given that i am from IT and have frequently worked (at several MNCs) with people (remotely and occasional trips) pretty much from all over the world (mostly US, UK etc.) So i am at ease with every day DEALING in terms of interaction. However, i do understand LIVING together is different. I am just trying to understand how much of an impact will it have? Plus me having better exposure over all might be helpful or not?

I will keep in mind the lease transfer thing. Really appreciate that advice of yours. I didn't know contracts are relatively rigid in Canada in terms of time line.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Thank you. That was helpful and yes i certainly am not interested running into that kind of cultural shock and would at least attempt to avoid.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4

Hi WillLeaveOnceIGetPassport,

Referring to your quoted text, are Berri suites in the area with kind of english only people to get by? Can one get a room there as in like a walk in from airport?

I have generally heard that east of Saint Laurent boulevard is more english compared to west. What do you think of this? Any suggestions?

Nov 6, 2013
Yes, Berri is mostly occupied by english speaking tourists and is in downtown where you hear english more often than french. Their reception is only open 1 hour a day so I suggest booking in advance.

I cannot comment on linguistic content of any neighborhood as I never paid attention to this. I feel however that Cote des Neiges is more anglophone than any other neighborhood I have been to as it is mostly occupied by philipinos and russians who have limited understanding of french.

fkl said:
Hi WillLeaveOnceIGetPassport,

Referring to your quoted text, are Berri suites in the area with kind of english only people to get by? Can one get a room there as in like a walk in from airport?

I have generally heard that east of Saint Laurent boulevard is more english compared to west. What do you think of this? Any suggestions?

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
I am not familiar with St Nicolas street but if you are close to any metro station, you will commute easily. The metro lines are not very long in Montreal.
Neighbourhoods are not segregated by language, so you will find a mixture of francophones and anglophones in each place. Regarding halal food, there are many maghrebian grocery shops here, but even larger stores like Provigo have halal food.
Regarding cultural shock, I shared flat with 3 PhD students in the past. The stink of marijuana in the kitchen, sex parties In toilets and occassional group sex sound in the rooms of my neighbours represent the "bright" memories of that period. I am not saying that all people from the west I like that, but to be on the safe side I suggest not to share accommodation, except with people from the same background as you.
You are a Muslim, aren't you? Why aren't you married? In that part of the world (Georgia) they don't send their grown-up daughters abroad and let them live alone without a husband. I just thought it's a little odd.