+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ARE YOU TRAVELING FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY TO APPLY FOR A U.S. VISA IN CANADA?

mayank.dce2k7

Sep 3, 2017
I am a citizen of India. I have a Canadian PR and currently living in the US. On DS-160, I have given my US address as home address.

I got my first H-1B visa stamped in Canada when I was there on work permit back in 2019.

Should I answer YES or NO to below question when booking an H-1B visa extension appointment at a US Consulate in Canada?

"Are you traveling from another country to apply for a U.S. visa in Canada? "

If the answer to the above question is NO then do they ask for any address proof or just the PR card is sufficient?

Reactions: sub001 and Narenkk

mayank.dce2k7

Sep 3, 2017
I am a citizen of India. I have a Canadian PR and currently living in the US. On DS-160, I have given my US address as home address.

I got my first H-1B visa stamped in Canada when I was there on work permit back in 2019.

Should I answer YES or NO to below question when booking an H-1B visa extension appointment at a US Consulate in Canada?

If the answer to the above question is NO then do they ask for any address proof or just the PR card is sufficient?
Anybody can share their experience?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019

Why would this answer be NO when you are actually travelling from other country to Canada for Visa? this should be "Yes"

Reactions: novascotia27

sub001

May 1, 2014
Hi, Did you get an appointment scheduled already ? In my opinion you shouldn't have a problem as you are PR in Canada. I was in a similar situation and had my stamping done at Toronto in 2019 when I was a PR in Canada.

yogi2022

Jan 17, 2022
Hi, Could someone help me with the right response to this question?
I live in US with a Canada PR. Answering No leads to dropbox whereas Yes leads to an appointment booking in 2023!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi, Could someone help me with the right response to this question?
I live in US with a Canada PR. Answering No leads to dropbox whereas Yes leads to an appointment booking in 2023!
You need to answer according to your current situation. If you are in US then obviously you should select ‘Yes’.

yogi2022

Jan 17, 2022
Thank you for your response. I'm curious to know how many people on the forum send their documents to Ottawa for H1B dropbox though living outside Canada. Did I understand something wrong?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thank you for your response. I'm curious to know how many people on the forum send their documents to Ottawa for H1B dropbox though living outside Canada. Did I understand something wrong?
First rule: You cannot send your passport outside the country without you. Its your legal identity document which needs to be always with you when you are in a foreign country.

So even if someone has done that , its not suggestable and you may get into unnecessary trouble if things go beyond your plans. What if you send your documents for dropbox and they ask you to come for in-person interview? Few folks were asked to attend in-person interview after dropping the documents. So its total risk and avoid taking that route!

yogi2022

Jan 17, 2022
First rule: You cannot send your passport outside the country without you. Its your legal identity document which needs to be always with you when you are in a foreign country.

So even if someone has done that , its not suggestable and you may get into unnecessary trouble if things go beyond your plans. What if you send your documents for dropbox and they ask to come for in-person interview? Few folks were asked to attend in-person interview after dropping the documents. So its total risk and avoid taking that route!
That makes total sense. Thank you swan.

Reactions: swan0206

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
You can only send it to consulate in Canada but cant receive outside of Canada.
One time i sent all docs from Detroit to Toronto to utilize the time during processing while i was inside US on a trip and went back to Canada and collected the passport after few days. The more i think about it, it will even give them more confusion on the situation hence its better to avoid this kind of mailing from outside to avoid delay/confusion for officer. Its better to send it from inside and wait for processing and get it back.

So even if someone has done that , its not suggestable and you may get into unnecessary trouble if things go beyond your plans. What if you send your documents for dropbox and they ask you to come for in-person interview? Few folks were asked to attend in-person interview after dropping the documents. So its total risk and avoid taking that route!
Certain countries restrict but not Canada/US. I sent the passports for PR stamping to ottawa from detroit and received it at detroit.
And one time sent the passport to US consulate Toronto. Surely we cant send outside India as its restricted. Surely many countries dont allow to avoid misusing which may affect the passport holder(hence they restrict it).

2 days ago when i was applying for canadian passport, officer was not ready to allow me to pick up my family's passports as she was asking everyone to come from detroit to windsor to pick them up but she said that she can mail to detroit (hence opted to receive the passports directly).

Reactions: swan0206