+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

are you eligible if you don't have an education?

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
I am Canadian and live in NS, Canada. Would my boyfriend, from Missouri, USA, be eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program if he does not have any college certificate or diploma? He is excellent at what he does. He is a woodworker, and wants to come to Canada to live and work. He has been doing it his entire life (he is 33). He has a great resume and very skilled. Just doesn't have an education in it (doesn't need it). Will this prevent him from being able to live here and be eligible for this program? Do you have to have a job here before applying for these programs, as well as the work permit? We don't know where to turn or what to do to be able to start our journey of him coming here to live with me and work. Thanks.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
bunny82 said:
I am Canadian and live in NS, Canada. Would my boyfriend, from Missouri, USA, be eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program if he does not have any college certificate or diploma? He is excellent at what he does. He is a woodworker, and wants to come to Canada to live and work. He has been doing it his entire life (he is 33). He has a great resume and very skilled. Just doesn't have an education in it (doesn't need it). Will this prevent him from being able to live here and be eligible for this program? Do you have to have a job here before applying for these programs, as well as the work permit? We don't know where to turn or what to do to be able to start our journey of him coming here to live with me and work. Thanks.
Here's everything you need to know:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trades/

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Thanks a lot for this :) I have been looking thru that site though and just having some issues on clarity. I just need to know if he is eligible for that program. (he is a woodworker, can make cabinets, counter tops, furniture, etc.). Having a hard time figuring out for sure if he would be, because I cannot tell if you need credentials for it. And I don't know if you need a job offer before you apply? And if you apply inside of Canada or outside of Canada? Also how long do these applications take to process and go thru? Thanks!

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
bunny82 said:
Thanks a lot for this :) I have been looking thru that site though and just having some issues on clarity. I just need to know if he is eligible for that program. (he is a woodworker, can make cabinets, counter tops, furniture, etc.). Having a hard time figuring out for sure if he would be, because I cannot tell if you need credentials for it. And I don't know if you need a job offer before you apply? And if you apply inside of Canada or outside of Canada? Also how long do these applications take to process and go thru? Thanks!

This should answer your questions. From the link:

"To apply, you must:

- plan to live outside the province of Quebec (Note: The province of Quebec chooses its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information),
- meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening),
- have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience)Footnote * in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,
- meet all job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and
- have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year** or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body."

One can apply from outside of Canada, but the processing could take quite a long time (few months to years).

farhaantariq

May 12, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bunny82 said:
welcome sister.

yes u bf can immigrate to Canada under federal skilled trade program 2014. according to cic website, he need to meet the minimum requirements. those can be as follows

1. plan to live outside Quebec, if you plan to live there then u have to apply under Quebec skilled trade program. the link is here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/quebec/index.asp

2. must meet required levels in English or French.

3. have at least 2 years of full time work experience (full time means 30 hrs per week minimum).

4. meet all job requirement for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (for your bf it can be NOC 7271 = carpenter or NOC 7272 = cabinet makers)

5. have an offer of employment for full time at least for one year OR certificate of qualification in that skilled trade from provincial or territorial authority. You will likely have to go to the province or territory to be assessed. You may also need an employer in Canada to give you experience and training. You should go to the website of the body that governs trades for the province/territory where you would like to live and work. The process is different depending on where you want to go. here is link for Nova Scotia http://nsapprenticeship.ca/

now sister one thing is clear that ur bf can apply and education is not a requirement for that. second thing is u have to fulfill all of these requirements.....which of course include that u must have a job offer or at least the certificate of qualification. if ur bf can manage to get the certificate then it will be easy cos I don't know if he can secure a job offer while living outside Canada or not. he can apply from with in or outside of Canada, its no problem at all. for US residents, it takes about 3 to 4 months max to get immigrated according to the trend of 2013 and 2014.

hope that might help you, good luck.

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Thank you. I am just not sure what the "job requirements" are for his skilled trade. You mentioned that he can apply from outside of Canada. Must he though is what I am wondering? Can he come here and visit and apply from within? This way he could also search jobs and go to interviews, etc and hopefully get a job offer. That would be hard if you are not in the country. Generally how long do the applications take? We do plan to get married someday and start a family. There is so much complication though to all of that though (if I do sponsor him once we get married) - if I sponsor him I have to prove that I can provide for him, etc, correct? I cannot. I have health issues right now and cannot even pay my own bills. This is another reason we want to live together sooner than later, I need his help, need another to help with the bills. More than anything we just want to be together and live in the same place and him be able to work here. The relationship is very serious. If he could move here tomorrow he would. What all would I and he have to do if we got married and applied in this manner? I don't meet the requirement of being able to sponsor him since I am not working right now and won't be for a while. Does this matter? Just not sure what to do. Thanks.

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
farhaantariq said:
welcome sister.

yes u bf can immigrate to Canada under federal skilled trade program 2014. according to cic website, he need to meet the minimum requirements. those can be as follows

1. plan to live outside Quebec, if you plan to live there then u have to apply under Quebec skilled trade program. the link is here

2. must meet required levels in English or French.

3. have at least 2 years of full time work experience (full time means 30 hrs per week minimum).

4. meet all job requirement for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (for your bf it can be NOC 7271 = carpenter or NOC 7272 = cabinet makers)

5. have an offer of employment for full time at least for one year OR certificate of qualification in that skilled trade from provincial or territorial authority. You will likely have to go to the province or territory to be assessed. You may also need an employer in Canada to give you experience and training. You should go to the website of the body that governs trades for the province/territory where you would like to live and work. The process is different depending on where you want to go.

now sister one thing is clear that ur bf can apply and education is not a requirement for that. second thing is u have to fulfill all of these requirements.....which of course include that u must have a job offer or at least the certificate of qualification. if ur bf can manage to get the certificate then it will be easy cos I don't know if he can secure a job offer while living outside Canada or not. he can apply from with in or outside of Canada, its no problem at all. for US residents, it takes about 3 to 4 months max to get immigrated according to the trend of 2013 and 2014.

hope that might help you, good luck.
Thank you so much Farhan. Could he still apply within Canada if he doesn't have a certificate or qualification? We would prefer that he come here and look for work and apply for the program from within Canada. Is that possible? Is there a lot involved in getting a qualification? He's great at what he does, I guess he just has to prove this somehow? He has pictures of all of his work on his resume and several references that could be called to confirm his ability.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
bunny82 said:
Thank you so much Farhan. Could he still apply within Canada if he doesn't have a certificate or qualification? We would prefer that he come here and look for work and apply for the program from within Canada. Is that possible? Is there a lot involved in getting a qualification? He's great at what he does, I guess he just has to prove this somehow? He has pictures of all of his work on his resume and several references that could be called to confirm his ability.
The link I provided should answer all your questions. Make sure you open all the link and read extensively throughout the website. Carpenters would be NOC 7271. So you have to look into this NOC and figure what the job requirements are. If he can come to Canada and look for job and if he is successful at that, it will be easier. But he can't start working before he gets his visa. Also, I don't think he can apply from within Canada if he isn't there on a long-term visa. Also, make sure you understand the other requirements listed there (for example, taking IELTS to satisfy the language requirement).

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hi there. Thanks. What do you mean he cannot start working before he gets his Visa? I haven't heard anything yet about a Visa. How does he get a long-term Visa? I am sorry but I don't know anything about this stuff. I thought he would just apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. I don't know what IELTS is, but he speaks and reads and writes fluent English. I was also wondering if you could reply about the spousal questions. I am wondering if it is still possible for me to sponsor him if I do not have an income? (if we were to get married). Thanks a lot!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IELTS is an English test. If he wants to immigrate through a program like the Federal Skilled Trades Program, then he will need to take an English test. It doesn't matter that he reads and writes English fluently. The test is mandatory for all.

You can sponsor him for PR as your spouse once you are either married or common law. Common law means you have lived together at the same physical residence for a minimum of one full year (and can prove it).

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Thank you Scylla. So if we were married I would still be able to sponsor him for PR even if I do not have an income and cannot support him financially, etc.? Because it says on the website that I must be able to do this in order to sponsor him... and can he be in Canada when I apply for this for him?

How would my partner go about getting a longterm Visa, and what does this mean, is it a visitor Visa? I never heard of it for Canada. We would like him to be able to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades program from within Canada, so he can look for work first and have a job offer. Or, do the qualification test to get a qualification or whatever is needed to prove his skill.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can sponsor him provided you are not on welfare and not bankrupt. He can certainly visit Canada while the application is being processed - however he cannot officially live here until he has PR. Whether he is allowed into Canada as a visitor and for how long is up to the immigration officer he encounters at the border.

There no such thing as a longterm visa. Since your boyfriend is American, he can visit on his passport alone. But again, how long he is allowed into Canada is up to immigration.

I don't understand the question you are asking in your last sentence.

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Thanks! I am unfortunately on government assistance right now because I am physically disabled at the moment and unable to work. So I guess I am unable to sponsor him..? it's really too bad..

I was just wanting clarity on if my boyfriend would be able to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades program from within Canada (while visiting)? As for the qualification thing, one of the requirements of the program is either having a full time job offer, or to have some type of certificate or qualification of his skill, which I believe he needs to get here. I don't really know how it works.

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
I was wondering if someone could get back to me about my latest questions, just trying to figure out what to do and where to begin. Thanks!