+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are they processing work visas from US during COVID-19

Fptw

Apr 11, 2020
Has anyone had a work visa with a LMIA attached processed from the US during COVID-19? Mine has been in for 6 weeks (original processing time was listed as 3 weeks). Have sent email in the system and heard nothing. If you did, how long did it take?

Fptw

Apr 11, 2020
Anyone have an idea of usual timeframe? And then timeframe during COVID-19? The LMIA took 7 months already...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Anyone have an idea of usual timeframe? And then timeframe during COVID-19? The LMIA took 7 months already...
The usual timeframe is the one posted. Many apps do go over this timeframe. No one can even guess what the delays will be due to COVID-19.

Fptw

Apr 11, 2020
The usual timeframe is the one posted. Many apps do go over this timeframe. No one can even guess what the delays will be due to COVID-19.
Just trying to determine if I should assume it is on hold indefinitely (possibly fall 2020 or later) since there is no reply to my email. Has anyone on here had a work permit approved in the last 3 weeks?

robkin

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
United States
When did you apply? I applied Feb 29 and there hasn't been any update to my application either. It makes me nervous since I have to make plans about my kids school and all sorts of stuff.

If you look up the current temporary visa processing time for US applications it now says two weeks. But also IRCC NY used to post on their facebook page which date's applications they were processing but hasn't done so in nearly a month. So I wonder who is processing these visas since inland Canada applications have a much longer wait time.

robkin

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
United States
Sure thing. I’m hoping ircc ny is still processing visas and not that they are getting processing all in Canada now, where the wait is several months. Or maybe our applications got lost since they were filed on a leap day!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Nobody will want to hear but the reality may well be that LMIAs are likely to become harder to get approved for some time given the ever increasing unemployment numbers through COVID impacts. This will likely have a knock on effect with far more candidates being available to apply for LMIA advertised jobs. Granted not all candidates may be suitable but for sure LMIAs will be impacted assuming employers follow the advertising requirements .

Fptw

Apr 11, 2020
But if the LMIA is already approved, that shouldn’t affect it, should it? As well, is the anyone on here that submitted a LMIA work permit between February 3 and February 29th?

Fptw

Apr 11, 2020
Robkin- can ask where in the states you are and where in Canada you are relocating to?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But if the LMIA is already approved, that shouldn’t affect it, should it? As well, is the anyone on here that submitted a LMIA work permit between February 3 and February 29th?
If the LMIA is approved, you are good. However the processing of the work permit may take longer.

robkin

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
United States
Robkin- can ask where in the states you are and where in Canada you are relocating to?
I am moving from California to Vancouver, and planning on driving over the land border. Actually what I realized is the moving company I talked to said I will need to release my belongings at a CBSA office when the driver crosses the border. But since you have to self isolate for 14 days, you basically have to live with whatever you can bring with you for two weeks before you can visit a CBSA office.