+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are the teaching professionals(teachers) negligible in Canada?

mohanrkkdi

Star Member
Apr 6, 2010
mmilon said:
I have extensive experience in teaching English Medium School, college and university as senior lecturer but I know it would be a day dream to get a job with my credentials in my field.Engineers and professional with science or technical background have nothing to worry- browse and see jobs are available though they would need to upgrade themselves with Canadian education, but for lecturer in English or any other it is pretty much impossible if not they are extremely exceptional.
hai mmilon
what is ur Ielts score?
i am somewhat depressed to learn lecturers are not welcome in canada
i am also an english lecturer with 7 years of experience.
my Score in English language is 6.5(academic)
i don't know the fate of application.god is great ultimately.

mmilon

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
application recieved on 30 September,2009
Doc's Request.
recied -November 30, 2009
IELTS Request
given with 1st application
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
1st April 2011
Let us all share positively to banish depression from us to have a refreshed and energized mind.My score was 8 (general) and I did this even before submitting my application since my points were less and largely depended on ielts score.

Please, share your experience and stay in touch.I might get my PPR in a few weeks,probably in between 20.02.2011-28.02.2011.

Thank You

mmilon

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
1st April 2011
mohanrkkdi said:
hai mmilon
what is ur Ielts score?
i am somewhat depressed to learn lecturers are not welcome in canada
i am also an english lecturer with 7 years of experience.
my Score in English language is 6.5(academic)
i don't know the fate of application.god is great ultimately.

Let us all share positively to banish depression from us to have a refreshed and energized mind.My score was 8 (general) and I did this even before submitting my application since my points were less and largely depended on ielts score.

Please, share your experience and stay in touch.I might get my PPR in a few weeks,probably in between 20.02.2011-28.02.2011.

Thank You

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
mmilon,

Your english is excellent. You have to do your home work before landing. I love teaching, and I would love to work as an instructor in Canada as well. But when I realized it is an impossible dearm in Canada then I gave up and made my mind to work as an engineer since I am currenlty working in that field. My wife is also an english teacher (MA English) and she has worked as a teacher in english speaking country as well. However,looking at the job market situation for the "foreign trained teachers" she has to probably give up her career as a teacher and try something else. Thank God, she is now ready to pursue other career options, if unable to land in a teaching profession.

If you have a real passion for teaching, and not ready to give up your career as a teacher, then as suggested by member "whocares" you can work in bilingual schools for example Saudi school(if ur arab), Pakistani schools and so on.You can contact those schools before landing and taste the water. You can also run your private tution classes(I don't know if it is also regulated).

This is a life buddy. To get something we have to loose something and that "something" differ from person to person. For some one this "something" is "everything" and eventually have to pay high price.

Best of luck.

mmilon

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
1st April 2011
SISH7255 said:
mmilon,

Your english is excellent. You have to do your home work before landing. I love teaching, and I would love to work as an instructor in Canada as well. But when I realized it is an impossible dearm in Canada then I gave up and made my mind to work as an engineer since I am currenlty working in that field. My wife is also an english teacher (MA English) and she has worked as a teacher in english speaking country as well. However,looking at the job market situation for the "foreign trained teachers" she has to probably give up her career as a teacher and try something else. Thank God, she is now ready to pursue other career options, if unable to land in a teaching profession.

If you have a real passion for teaching, and not ready to give up your career as a teacher, then as suggested by member "whocares" you can work in bilingual schools for example Saudi school(if ur arab), Pakistani schools and so on.You can contact those schools before landing and taste the water. You can also run your private tution classes(I don't know if it is also regulated).

This is a life buddy. To get something we have to loose something and that "something" differ from person to person. For some one this "something" is "everything" and eventually have to pay high price.

Best of luck.
Dear Buddy,
Thank you for your fruitful advice.This advice serves to purposes-makes me conscious about my prospective future abroad and ADDS INSULTS TO MY INJURY.
I did never think of leaving my teaching profession since it is my passion and gives me immense pleasure.But, how long a person can play hide and seek with realty?Mental pleasure in youth and realty of enduring life and hope don't go together.I unleash my mind as your writing sounds much realistic to me. To earn my livelihood teaching profession is a blessing here in my mother land as there are ample opportunities to earn a lot by private tuition.But, is it s healthy life?How long a person can carry on with this (sub)profession. So, brother, I changed my decision to take the taste of a life abroad and I know bitter sweet experience awaits all of us.Consolation is there,my son would be equipped with world class credential(education). The earning I have at present can be surpassed easily by doing even survival jobs there if my EGO does not claim more.Bhai, I am a peace loving human being and want to lead a life of peace and happiness where my environment will not belittle me and I will not be preoccupied with the thought of security and corruption.May be some will define my immigration as an act of an escapist or coward who is fleeing from his homeland to avoid realty, but you know I may have to encounter harsh realty.Your wife may be one of the blessed ones to propel her career in the right direction. She might avail a job in her own field after brushing her education with the paste of Canada. It is true she might get a teaching job being a female but not possible (usually) by males. She might easily excel in her earning more than you as Canada needs more Female qualified ones.(as I'm told by existing ones in Toronto).
If any one enters your society from abroad and wants to occupy the demanding jobs,of course, you will not feel positive, so is the case with canadians,they don't want anybody to.

I will sacrifice my teaching profession and try my best to change the track of my career if get opportunity to upgrade my skill since teaching job in Toronto for an Asian immigrant is almost an impossibility. Bhai, keep me updated about your status and write your country of origin so that at least we can share ideas.

Thank you
mmilon

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mmilon said:
Dear Buddy,
Thank you for your fruitful advice.This advice serves to purposes-makes me conscious about my prospective future abroad and ADDS INSULTS TO MY INJURY.
I did never think of leaving my teaching profession since it is my passion and gives me immense pleasure.But, how long a person can play hide and seek with realty?Mental pleasure in youth and realty of enduring life and hope don't go together.I unleash my mind as your writing sounds much realistic to me. To earn my livelihood teaching profession is a blessing here in my mother land as there are ample opportunities to earn a lot by private tuition.But, is it s healthy life?How long a person can carry on with this (sub)profession. So, brother, I changed my decision to take the taste of a life abroad and I know bitter sweet experience awaits all of us.Consolation is there,my son would be equipped with world class credential(education). The earning I have at present can be surpassed easily by doing even survival jobs there if my EGO does not claim more.Bhai, I am a peace loving human being and want to lead a life of peace and happiness where my environment will not belittle me and I will not be preoccupied with the thought of security and corruption.May be some will define my immigration as an act of an escapist or coward who is fleeing from his homeland to avoid realty, but you know I may have to encounter harsh realty.Your wife may be one of the blessed ones to propel her career in the right direction. She might avail a job in her own field after brushing her education with the paste of Canada. It is true she might get a teaching job being a female but not possible (usually) by males. She might easily excel in her earning more than you as Canada needs more Female qualified ones.(as I'm told by existing ones in Toronto).
If any one enters your society from abroad and wants to occupy the demanding jobs,of course, you will not feel positive, so is the case with canadians,they don't want anybody to.

I will sacrifice my teaching profession and try my best to change the track of my career if get opportunity to upgrade my skill since teaching job in Toronto for an Asian immigrant is almost an impossibility. Bhai, keep me updated about your status and write your country of origin so that at least we can share ideas.

Thank you
mmilon
I'll add a little to this discussion. Canadian trained teachers have the same problem in breaking into and finding a full time teaching job. (some jobs French Immersion, Math are easier) Most newly graduated teacher end up on TOC (Teachers on Call) and only get substitute work for when a full time teacher is off. A lot of TOC jobs are taken by retired teachers, as the School prefers experience and people that they know. A lot of newly graduated teachers spend 4/5 years as TOCs before they move to either full time substitute teaching or land a full time teaching job. Consider it an apprenticeship. Most foreign trained teachers are going to find that they have to spend at least another year in Canada for a year of teacher training after their evaluation. The same for Canadian graduates, who require a year of teacher training before they are even considered by the schools. There is an excess of teachers in Canada, and with the drop in school age population, and the closing of schools in some cities, there are less and less positions.

pb55

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
pittabread said:
if teachers can't find teaching jobs in canada why canadian authorities letting them in and giving them immigration as teachers
This is the most wonderful aspect of Canadian immigration policy mate. Your education need not be linked to your experience. The field in which you have experience (in 39/29 category) will get you immigration but not job in Canada.

"if teachers can't find teaching jobs in canada why canadian authorities letting them in and giving them immigration as teachers"
Well even I fail to understand this. And it is not only with teachers, lecturers or uni professors the same is case with most of the other professions in the 39/29 category demand list.

pb55

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
PMM said:
Hi

I'll add a little to this discussion. Canadian trained teachers have the same problem in breaking into and finding a full time teaching job. (some jobs French Immersion, Math are easier) Most newly graduated teacher end up on TOC (Teachers on Call) and only get substitute work for when a full time teacher is off. A lot of TOC jobs are taken by retired teachers, as the School prefers experience and people that they know. A lot of newly graduated teachers spend 4/5 years as TOCs before they move to either full time substitute teaching or land a full time teaching job. Consider it an apprenticeship. Most foreign trained teachers are going to find that they have to spend at least another year in Canada for a year of teacher training after their evaluation. The same for Canadian graduates, who require a year of teacher training before they are even considered by the schools. There is an excess of teachers in Canada, and with the drop in school age population, and the closing of schools in some cities, there are less and less positions.
Fair and correct analysis from PMM .......as always. Thanks PMM

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pb55 said:
This is the most wonderful aspect of Canadian immigration policy mate. Your education need not be linked to your experience. The field in which you have experience (in 39/29 category) will get you immigration but not job in Canada.

"if teachers can't find teaching jobs in canada why canadian authorities letting them in and giving them immigration as teachers"
Well even I fail to understand this. And it is not only with teachers, lecturers or uni professors the same is case with most of the other professions in the 39/29 category demand list.
Because there is a big disconnect between immigration and the real world.

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
PMM said:
Hi

PMM, Thank you Sir for your kind update. Very informative.

lepetit

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mmilon said:

Thank You

Hi mmilon!

I am also a 4131 applicant with full documents to Singapore VO for over 5 months now. Please share your 2nd AOR and Medical Request date. Did Singapore VO make any kind of job verification to you (phone call, physical visit, etc) ?

Being a vocational instructor with more than 8 years' experience, I wish I could land a job in the same field. But with all the members' posts in this thread, I'd better think of a career change. I am doing a lot of research and considering some occupations related to healthcare, may be a lab technologist or sth like that. (Wondering about the job landing prospect for a male in late 30s after 2~3 years of training in Canada ?!!)

Any comments are appreciated. Thank you! :)

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
mmilon said:
Dear Buddy,
I did never think of leaving my teaching profession since it is my passion and gives me immense pleasure.But, how long a person can play hide and seek with realty?Mental pleasure in youth and realty of enduring life and hope don't go together.I unleash my mind as your writing sounds much realistic to me. To earn my livelihood teaching profession is a blessing here in my mother land as there are ample opportunities to earn a lot by private tuition.But, is it s healthy life?How long a person can carry on with this (sub)profession. So, brother, I changed my decision to take the taste of a life abroad and I know bitter sweet experience awaits all of us.EXACTLY, NOT ONLY YOU, I MEAN THE TEACHERS, ALMOST EVERY WHITE COLLAR FOREIGH TRAINED PROFESSIONALS WILL HAVE TO FACE TROUBLE IN THE BEGINING. ONLY BLUE COLLAR JOBS ARE AVAILABLE, GOOD FOR THEM, FOR EXAMPLE- PLUMBERS, ELECTRICIANS ETC.Consolation is there,my son would be equipped with world class credential(education). YES, YOU ARE RIGHT.The earning I have at present can be surpassed easily by doing even survival jobs there if my EGO does not claim more.Bhai, I am a peace loving human being and want to lead a life of peace and happiness where my environment will not belittle me and I will not be preoccupied with the thought of security and corruption. YES, IT'S NEVER ENDING.CANADA IS RIGHT PLACE FOR YOU AND FOR ME AS WELL. IT IS AN AMAZING COUNTRY. May be some will define my immigration as an act of an escapist or coward who is fleeing from his homeland to avoid realty, but you know I may have to encounter harsh realty. DON'T BOTHER THEM, EVERY LAND BELONGS TO GOD, AND WE CAN STAY ANYWHERE WE WANT. GOD'S BLESSINGS ARE THERE FOR THOSE WHO MIGRATE FOR THE SAKE OF BETTER FUTURE. THOSE WHO CRITICISE, IT REMINDS ME A STORY OF 'GRAPES ARE SOUR....BECAUSE THEY CAN'T REACH THEM. Your wife may be one of the blessed ones to propel her career in the right direction. She might avail a job in her own field after brushing her education with the paste of Canada. It is true she might get a teaching job being a female but not possible (usually) by males. She might easily excel in her earning more than you as Canada needs more Female qualified ones.(as I'm told by existing ones in Toronto). STILL SHE WILL TRY SOMETHING ELSE, NOT TEACHING FOR SURE. WE HAVE MADE UP OUR MIND,WE DON'T WANT TO RUN BEHIND AN ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE DREAM AND THAT TOO AT VERY HIGH PRICE. IN OUR LIFE,WE HAVE TO DO MARGINAL COST/BENEFIT ANALYSIS BEFORE MAKING ANY CRUCIAL DECISIONSIf any one enters your society from abroad and wants to occupy the demanding jobs,of course, you will not feel positive, so is the case with canadians,they don't want anybody to.

I will sacrifice my teaching profession MANY IMMIIGRANTS DO and try my best to change the track of my career if get opportunity to upgrade my skill since teaching job in Toronto for an Asian immigrant is almost an impossibility. Bhai, keep me updated about your status and write your country of origin so that at least we can share ideas. I AM YOUR NEGHBOR-INDIAN, CURRENTLY LIVING IN SOUTH AMERICA.

BHAI, YOU ARE ALWAYS WELCOME.

Thank you
mmilon

mohanrkkdi

Star Member
Apr 6, 2010
mmilon said:

Thank You
hi mmilion,
i learn from the posts that we can not land in teaching profession.
for the noc 's like 4131do the canadian officials expect high level of English.
is my English score o.k or good ?
will it make me to get PR?