+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are the PR renewal dates accurate?

Hinka7

Apr 4, 2023
Hi everyone,
I’m waiting for my Hungarian passport to arrive (3 weeks guaranteed) and I’ll be filling out my resident card renewal on May 1st. My trip to the US is on July 24th and my plane ticket is already purchased. What are the chances of it coming in 63 days (this is according to the renewal times), and is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,
I’m waiting for my Hungarian passport to arrive (3 weeks guaranteed) and I’ll be filling out my resident card renewal on May 1st. My trip to the US is on July 24th and my plane ticket is already purchased. What are the chances of it coming in 63 days (this is according to the renewal times), and is there anything I can do to speed up the process?
No one can tell your your chances as processing times change every day. Next week it could be 100 days. When you apply in a month it could be 200 days. No way to expedite as everyone wants their application processed faster.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,
If your PR card does not arrive before you leave, you could come back via a land PoE in a personal vehicle (even if you present an expired card).

There has been a recent post from someone that [apparently] was able to get a PRTD while still in Canada, to be able to then return to Canada. The member requested expedited service, even though it was for a short vacation and was not the typical reason for expedited service. The person chose `other' for the reason for the request. If this is now possible, it's a game changer for a PR that is without a valid PR card...and another source of revenue for IRCC!

Last edited:

Hinka7

Apr 4, 2023
No one can tell your your chances as processing times change every day. Next week it could be 100 days. When you apply in a month it could be 200 days. No way to expedite as everyone wants their application processed faster.
A little far fetched to assume 100 days, no?

I’ve checked processing times in the last two weeks and it went from 67 days to 63. I think at this point things should be running relatively smoothly, not speeding up.

Hinka7

Apr 4, 2023
If your PR card does not arrive before you leave, you could come back via a land PoE in a personal vehicle (even if you present an expired card).

There has been a recent post from someone that [apparently] was able to get a PRTD while still in Canada, to be able to then return to Canada. The member requested expedited service, even though it was for a short vacation and was not the typical reason for expedited service. The person chose `other' for the reason for the request. If this is now possible, it's a game changer for a PR that is without a valid PR card...and another source of revenue for IRCC!
That’s what I was thinking of doing, but I don’t want to risk flying to the states, applying for a PRTD and then not being able to fly back because I got denied. My reason is not valid seeing as it’s a vacation and not anything urgent like the death of a family member.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A little far fetched to assume 100 days, no?

I’ve checked processing times in the last two weeks and it went from 67 days to 63. I think at this point things should be running relatively smoothly, not speeding up.
My advice is hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Everything with IRCC is unpredictable. Processing times for PR cards fluctuate. Sometimes very little, sometimes a lot and suddenly. It's been over 100 days before. It's also been far less than 60. Ultimately none of us know where things will stand when yours is being processed. Hopefully the same as now or lower for your benefit. Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That’s what I was thinking of doing, but I don’t want to risk flying to the states, applying for a PRTD and then not being able to fly back because I got denied. My reason is not valid seeing as it’s a vacation and not anything urgent like the death of a family member.

Thanks!
You don't have to have an urgent reason to apply for a PRTD. You just need to meet the residency requirement. There's no issue applying for a PRTD on vacation.