+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are scanned/printed letters okay for support documents?

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
my wife and I had friends and family type up letters for us, and sign them, but they are scanned/printed. Is that okay?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yes. Have your friends mail the original copies in case IRCC ever asks for them, but scanned/printed copies are acceptable.

bian07

May 19, 2017
Sure. The majority of the people that wrote mine also included a picture of their passport info page or drivers license, to verify they exist kinda

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Not necessary, but you can include it.

Just remember that if you submit something like that, IRCC may verify it - adding a bit of processing time.

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
Yes. Have your friends mail the original copies in case IRCC ever asks for them, but scanned/printed copies are acceptable.
Ohh jeez. I never asked for that and I bet most people just shredded the originals. I did include driver’s license scans or pics whenever the sender would include them.
Edit - is that a huge deal? In all honesty, getting the originals would severely delay me. My friends and family scanned/sent most of them. We received one original. The rest are probably gone.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I wasn't clear, I guess.

The guide is explicit: photocopied (scanned) signatures in your submission to IRCC are perfectly acceptable.

However, as the guide says you should make sure that you get the signed originals eventually in case IRCC asks for them. They rarely do, but it is an instruction in the guide.

Reactions: baconsocks

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
I wasn't clear, I guess.

The guide is explicit: photocopied (scanned) signatures in your submission to IRCC are perfectly acceptable.

However, as the guide says you should make sure that you get the signed originals eventually in case IRCC asks for them. They rarely do, but it is an instruction in the guide.
Bleeehhhhh.
Well thanks for the info though!

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
I wasn't clear, I guess.

I checked out the guide- I’m only seeing that as a requirement for the actual forms you fill out. It doesn’t mention support letters.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Then fine. Like I said, they rarely ask for signed originals. But if you do, just tell them you shredded them, I guess.