+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are PRs allowed to work in Government Jobs in Canada?

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Are PRs allowed to work in Government Jobs in Canada? Specifically the federal government.

I know many government offices in other countries employ only citizens because of the nature of the work.

In some other countries like the PRs can work in jobs where the matter handled by the agency isn't dealing with national security. Some local governments will employ permanent residents but not federal governments.

Just wondering where Canada falls under, and if anyone knows, what agencies would hire permanent residents.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some government jobs are only for Canadians but even for those who are not, it's not easy to get a government job. Everybody wants to work for the government because of the job security and benefits.

R

rishabshanker

Hi Mediajunkie,

I dont know about fulltime employment but the Ontario govt has a paid internship scheme with its depts. You can get further information here

http://www.citizenship.gov.on.ca/english/working/internship/

Cheers,
Rishab

jlacombe

Sep 19, 2009
Government jobs at all levels are very competitive, particularly for the entry level positions. I've heard that they may have 200+ resumes for a single position. I've read that the Fed gov't gives 'priority' over citizens vs pr, but they can't discriminate so they need to pick the best person for the job. It's just that if there are so many people applying for one job then it might be difficult to compete if you have limited experience in Canada.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most agencies will hire PRs at all levels of government. There are a few exceptions. As stated, though, they give preference to Canadian citizens.