+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are my step-childs considered my dependent child?

Mars93

Nov 24, 2020
Hi,
My husband has 3 kids (22, 21, 17 yrs old) from previous marriage. they live with their mom and don't want to come Canada.
Are they considered my Dependent child?
Should I include them in my application (Generic application form imm 0008, Additional family information form, Schedule A?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
he is sponsoring me. @YVR123
Then they are not your dependents (assuming that you are the principle applicant). They are his dependents.

He could sponsor them (in a seperate application) if he declared them when he immigrated to Canada. But that's irrevelant to your application.

I do not believe the sponsor need to fill in this kind of family details but just follow the guideline.

Reactions: Mars93

Mars93

Nov 24, 2020
Then they are not your dependents (assuming that you are the principle applicant). They are his dependents.

He could sponsor them (in a seperate application) if he declared them when he immigrated to Canada. But that's irrevelant to your application.

I do not believe the sponsor need to fill in this kind of family details but just follow the guideline.
but it says on guidelines: if you are applying for permanent residence i canada, you must declare all of your family members, there are no exceptions @YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No, they live with their mom and don’t want to come to canada.
Just wondering if I have to write their information in Additional family information form, Generic application form?
My point is that it asks about your family members. And one possible answer to your question is that they are not - legally - your dependents or in any way connected to you.

If you wish to clarify this further, you may wish to consult a lawyer.

Note, it's perhaps something worth considering or checking with your spouse - if your spouse immigrated, he should know what he did with respect to his children/dependents at the time. Does he have shared custody or does his former spouse have full legal custody?

Without complete information, whatever info you get here may be off.

Sapphire18

Star Member
Jan 14, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
29-10-2020
AOR Received.
27-03-2021
Med's Request
27-10-2021
Med's Done....
06-11-2021
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
29-11-2021
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2021
LANDED..........
04-02-2022
Hi,
My husband has 3 kids (22, 21, 17 yrs old) from previous marriage. they live with their mom and don't want to come Canada.
Are they considered my Dependent child?
Should I include them in my application (Generic application form imm 0008, Additional family information form, Schedule A?
Hi!
Do not include your step-children in FORM IMM 0008 Generic Application Form.

You can declare your step children in FORM IMM5406 Additional Family Information in Section B.

Reactions: Mars93