+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are my parents eligible to apply visitor visa?

tottiren

Mar 21, 2018
Beijing
Category........
PNP
Hi, my PR application was approved before Mar 18. Now I want my parents to go to Canada with me on visitor visa in August. Their purpose of travel is to look after the our child and do some housework as me and my spouse will be busy working. Are they eligible to apply given covid-19? Does my purpose stand? thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Not advisable to state purpose of visit is to babysit and housework given strange as might sound that could be considered work which cannot be the purpose of a visit even for family.

Have you landed yet or is that your plan for August given you are not a PR of course until landed plus you being a PR does not necessarily make it any more guaranteed of a visit visa being issued ? They would need to qualify themselves

Even by August it is not clear whether visits will be considered essential travel and not allowed depends if the current restrictions are extended beyond June 30th nobody knows of course.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would warn you that it seems like your parents are planning on moving with you. If CIC suspects that your plan is for your parents to move with you to Canada to care for child and housework they will be denied. In general CIC prefers for new PRs to establish themselves before having parents visit. For a supervisa most don’t qualify until a year after they moved. Your parents are still visitors so can’t stay in Canada forever, they’ll be expected to go home and reestablish ties to their home country before returning. You can certainly try for a TRV. Covid will make them visiting more difficult until vaccines are available. Canada will want to limit non-essential travel and limit people who don’t qualify for provincial health coverage and don’t have private medical coverage that covers covid.

tottiren

Mar 21, 2018
Beijing
Category........
PNP
Not advisable to state purpose of visit is to babysit and housework given strange as might sound that could be considered work which cannot be the purpose of a visit even for family.

Have you landed yet or is that your plan for August given you are not a PR of course until landed plus you being a PR does not necessarily make it any more guaranteed of a visit visa being issued ? They would need to qualify themselves

Even by August it is not clear whether visits will be considered essential travel and not allowed depends if the current restrictions are extended beyond June 30th nobody knows of course.
Thanks, my urgent question is are my parents eligible to apply the visitor visa? I want them to have the visa in place in case they can travel after the ban being lifited. I havent landed yet.

pemyrie

May 15, 2009
Thanks, my urgent question is are my parents eligible to apply the visitor visa? I want them to have the visa in place in case they can travel after the ban being lifited. I havent landed yet.
I would land and establish myself first. On the other hand, if you have relatives they could put that there visiting it might work for them to apply for the TRV. If they dont, I wouldn't suggest it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They are eligible to apply - however it's not recommended they apply immediately. You should move to Canada and live here for 6-8 months before they apply for a TRV. If they apply now, there's a much much higher chance of refusal since IRCC may believe they have plans to come here and stay long term. Note that IRCC will classify housework and taking care of your children as illegal work. Don't include that as a purpose for their visit.