+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are medical exams required for SOWP?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I'm on a PGWP. I submitted my wife's SOWP extension after her original SOWP expired. While submitting the application, one question asked if the applicant was going to be working on a health-related job, and we said no. She received her maintained status letter and started looking for a job. She got a job as a PSW, which is actually a heal-related job. Should we notify IRCC? Will she need a medical exam now?

Destination1

Apr 23, 2022
I'm on a PGWP. I submitted my wife's SOWP extension after her original SOWP expired. While submitting the application, one question asked if the applicant was going to be working on a health-related job, and we said no. She received her maintained status letter and started looking for a job. She got a job as a PSW, which is actually a heal-related job. Should we notify IRCC? Will she need a medical exam now?
I think yes, she need a medical exam. You will receive the request from IRCC if the exam required.

Reactions: andrews17

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, she needs a medical and needs to have the health restriction removed from her work permit before she can start the PSW job. She needs to do this before she can start working in a healthcare related role.

Reactions: andrews17

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Yes, she needs a medical and needs to have the health restriction removed from her work permit before she can start the PSW job. She needs to do this before she can start working in a healthcare related role.
How do I notify this to IRCC? The WP extension was submitted in late July, still waiting for approval and she's actually already working (maintained status).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How do I notify this to IRCC? The WP extension was submitted in late July, still waiting for approval and she's actually already working (maintained status).
Ah - I missed that you have applied for an extension.

Did she remove the health restrictions from her original work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here's the link with instructions on how to change conditions on a work permit. I'm not sure how you go about this on implied status however.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/eligibility.html

If her original SOWP had the health restrictions removed (i.e. she took a medical and got the restriction removed), then she is fine to be working as a PSW worker now. If she did not do this for her original work permit, she cannot be working as a PSW. She is not allowed to do this until she changes the terms of her work permit.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Ah - I missed that you have applied for an extension.

Did she remove the health restrictions from her original work permit?
No, her original WP only had the following restrictions:
1. Must leave Canada by "date".
2. Can't enroll in any educational course or training.
3. Can't work for sex-related trades.

She first got a SOWP when I applied for SP. This is the timeline.

Apr 2021 - Medical exam taken abroad when applying for SP+SOWP
Aug 2021 - SOWP received at the port of entry
Mar 2022 - SOWP expired before the completion of my studies because of her passport expiring. Renewed passport and applied for WP extension (before expiration of first WP). Medical exam was still within the 12-month timeframe.
Early Jul 2022 - SOWP approved until late July (expiration date of my SP)
Late July 2022 - Applied for a new SOWP as I was working on a NOC B job under PGWP. Said "NO" to the question about working in a health-related job. Received maintained status.
Nov 2022 - Got a job as a PSW.

I understand she will need to get the medical exam now. But I'm not sure how to notify IRCC about this. Should we just send a webform with her job offer and wait for them to ask for medical exams? Or should she go get the medical exams upfront and submit them through webform?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, her original WP only had the following restrictions:
1. Must leave Canada by "date".
2. Can't enroll in any educational course or training.
3. Can't work for sex-related trades.

She first got a SOWP when I applied for SP. This is the timeline.

Apr 2021 - Medical exam taken abroad when applying for SP+SOWP
Aug 2021 - SOWP received at the port of entry
Mar 2022 - SOWP expired before the completion of my studies because of her passport expiring. Renewed passport and applied for WP extension (before expiration of first WP). Medical exam was still within the 12-month timeframe.
Early Jul 2022 - SOWP approved until late July (expiration date of my SP)
Late July 2022 - Applied for a new SOWP as I was working on a NOC B job under PGWP. Said "NO" to the question about working in a health-related job. Received maintained status.
Nov 2022 - Got a job as a PSW.

I understand she will need to get the medical exam now. But I'm not sure how to notify IRCC about this. Should we just send a webform with her job offer and wait for them to ask for medical exams? Or should she go get the medical exams upfront and submit them through webform?
Sorry, I don't know.