+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are level 6 higher vocational qualifications recognized as bachelor degrees in Canada?

VincentWe

Sep 14, 2020
I don't have a bachelor degree. I do have a master's degree and an associate's degree but a bachelor's degree is a must too for the extra points it seems if my master's doesn't get recognized.
Therefor I'm thinking about applying for a level 6 diploma in professional marketing from IBT.

Are level 6 qualifications recognized as bachelor degrees in Canada?

S&S2020

Sep 15, 2020
WES evaluated UK level 6 diploma has been equivalent to three years diploma in Canada. If your diploma includes internship/ professional experience of one year or more requirement and if you have been recognized for a professional membership then it may be equivalent to a 4-year degree.

VincentWe

Sep 14, 2020
WES evaluated UK level 6 diploma has been equivalent to three years diploma in Canada. If your diploma includes internship/ professional experience of one year or more requirement and if you have been recognized for a professional membership then it may be equivalent to a 4-year degree.
May I ask what you mean with professional membership please?
My diploma included an internship.

S&S2020

Sep 15, 2020
If the diploma is from a professional body, for example in the UK, CIMA, BCS, ACCA etc., after the final examination the finalist spend one or two years in that profession and then qualify to apply for professional membership. There are many such professional bodies most of the countries, even many universities and colleges offer their courses as well.

VincentWe

Sep 14, 2020
If the diploma is from a professional body, for example in the UK, CIMA, BCS, ACCA etc., after the final examination the finalist spend one or two years in that profession and then qualify to apply for professional membership. There are many such professional bodies most of the countries, even many universities and colleges offer their courses as well.
Is APS (association for professional sales) such a recognized awarding body?
There is a level 6 diploma in chartered sales professionalism from school of business, London that is accredited by APS.
They allow to register with APS for membership once graduated.
Would such a diploma qualify as a genuine degree?

S&S2020

Sep 15, 2020
You may better ask school of business whether their diploma (level 6 diploma in chartered sales professionalism) is accredited by any UK govt accreditation body and or those examinations are regulated by accepted bodies like Ofqual. They are the best source of such information since its their product/service which has been offered to the community.

VincentWe

Sep 14, 2020
You may better ask school of business whether their diploma (level 6 diploma in chartered sales professionalism) is accredited by any UK govt accreditation body and or those examinations are regulated by accepted bodies like Ofqual. They are the best source of such information since its their product/service which has been offered to the community.
Hi,
I got a reply from school of business.

The product is accredited and ofqual regulated but only for 49 credits.

Could a 49 credit level 6 qualification be equated to a bachelor's degree in Canada?
Since level 6 requires a level 5 entry.

S&S2020

Sep 15, 2020
The number of credits is misleading. However, they evaluate UK level 6 diploma as equivalent to Canadian bachelor. The other problem is whether your institution is a recognized awarding body?

VincentWe

Sep 14, 2020
The number of credits is misleading. However, they evaluate UK level 6 diploma as equivalent to Canadian bachelor. The other problem is whether your institution is a recognized awarding body?
I found them in the registry of Ofqual as a recognized body.
Both the diploma and the awarding body are recognized by Ofqual. It's just that it worries me that the diploma is only 49 British credits. I thought that a full time year of study is 120 credits. I was under the impression that anything less than 120 was refused. I hope I will be wrong. There is the option to have a professional membership too. I asked them. Even an internship is possible.
I hope Canadian wes or icas will see '' level 6 '' and immediately equate it to bachelor. I hope they won't struggle over the amount of credits of the diploma.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
If the qualification itself is called a diploma the UK then it's unlikely to be considered a bachelor's degree in Canada.

Needs to be equivalent to a 3 year bachelor's degree which is usually 90 credits.

Level 6 qualification can be a diploma, degree or graduate diploma.

Then it becomes a question of credits and modules, and requirements for each qualification.

It seems to me that you're trying to take a shortcut to getting a degree, and i'm just going to say that assessing authorities are very thorough and comprehensive when they perform evaluations.

I think the bigger issue is why you feel your Master's degree wouldn't be recognised. If it is, why would you need to waste your time trying to get fast tracked bachelor's degree?

Last edited:

S&S2020

Sep 15, 2020
Place the ECA request. If the provider is recognized there will not be a problem with the number of credits. It’s up to the providers to design their courses and get approval from monitoring bodies of the country. Other than the university / formal educational sector number of credits in the vocational sector may not be fixed. So, the awarding body plays an important role there. Assume your master's degree is a top-up degree on the above level 6 diploma. If that institution is a recognized university don’t worry. It’ll be assessed as a Canadian masters.