+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are Dental Residents (like Medical Residents) LMO Exempt?

mpdent

Jul 22, 2014
Hi,

I am applying to a dental residency (Hospital Based) soon. I spoke with the residency coordinator and she informed me that I will have to apply for a work permit. To apply for a work permit, does the hospital need to file for LMO or is it LMO exempt like the foreign medical residents?

Thank you!

M.

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You most likely need an LMO (now called an LMIA) but it would be best if the hospital confirms with Service Canada or CIC.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mpdent said:
I am applying to a dental residency (Hospital Based) soon. I spoke with the residency coordinator and she informed me that I will have to apply for a work permit. To apply for a work permit, does the hospital need to file for LMO or is it LMO exempt like the foreign medical residents?
LMO-exempt, like the medical residents -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
None of my other sources (such as the OB) turned that up - it looks like that's one of the few (or the only) source that confirms medical as well as dental residents are covered. Glad you attached the link. My apologies to mpdent.

Anah

Jul 12, 2013
I am a dentist in the Philippines and going to Canada being a spousal open work permit visa. Once in Canada, im planning to take challenge exam
To become a Registered Dental Assisting.

However, having read the posts and link above, i got an idea
to pursue my dental residency program. Could someone help or guide me to apply for such option or give me some links. It will be much better for me than to pursue dental assisting instead. By the way, Edmonton Alberta is my destination soon.

Thank you very much.

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One suggestion would be to google dental residency programs in Alberta. There is such a program at the University of Alberta - check the eligibility requirements to see if you qualify. Even if not, the dental residency program coordinator may be able to give you some advice on ways to pursue your dental studies/career once you get here.

http://www.dentistry.ualberta.ca/ContactUs.aspx

Anah

Jul 12, 2013
amira_mais said:
One suggestion would be to google dental residency programs in Alberta. There is such a program at the University of Alberta - check the eligibility requirements to see if you qualify. Even if not, the dental residency program coordinator may be able to give you some advice on ways to pursue your dental studies/career once you get here.

http://www.dentistry.ualberta.ca/ContactUs.aspx

Thank you amira_mais! It is indeed a big help for newcomers
like me.. By the way, are you a dentist there in Ca?

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anah said:
By the way, are you a dentist there in Ca?
No, I'm not in that field which is why I had to google possibilities when answering your question. Other than the university, maybe call some dental clinics in Edmonton to learn what the hiring demand is, what types of positions they're looking for, and see if they can suggest study/career options for your consideration.

Anah

Jul 12, 2013
amira_mais said:
No, I'm not in that field which is why I had to google possibilities when answering your question. Other than the university, maybe call some dental clinics in Edmonton to learn what the hiring demand is, what types of positions they're looking for, and see if they can suggest study/career options for your consideration.

Thank you so much, such a big help and informative inputs.