+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

April 2022 - Citizenship Applications

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
I think my question was a little more technical. I need to apply for a business visa as soon as I get my Canadian passport which means I cannot surrender my Indian passport for a few months. So in that period where I have two passports, do I say I am a citizen of Canada AND India on my business visa application?
The way the current Indian Citizenship Act 1955 is written, it provides for "automatic" loss of Indian citizenship once you voluntarily acquire another citizenship. So, technically, the moment you swear your oath to Canada, you have lost your Indian Citizenship and the entitlement use of your Indian passport. However, you'll still need to follow the new regulation to formally renounce your citizenship. The 3 months grace period is a grey area that is overlooked by the Government and you *may* still get into trouble for using your Indian passport to travel

9. (1) Any citizen of India who by naturalisation, registration or otherwise voluntarily acquires, or has before the commencement oi this Act voluntarily acquired, the citizenship of another country shall, upon such acquisition or, as the case may be, such commencement, cease to be a citizen of India.
See Section "Termination of Citizenship"
https://egazette.nic.in/WriteReadData/1955/E-2210-1955-0023-101599.pdf

Edit: Text from Indian Citizenship Act, 1955.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023
The way the current Indian Citizenship Act 1955 is written, it provides for "automatic" loss of Indian citizenship once you voluntarily acquire another citizenship. So, technically, the moment you swear your oath to Canada, you have lost your Indian Citizenship and the entitlement use of your Indian passport. However, you'll still need to follow the new regulation to formally renounce your citizenship. The 3 months grace period is a grey area that is overlooked by the Government and you *may* still get into trouble for using your Indian passport to travel

See Section "Termination of Citizenship"
https://egazette.nic.in/WriteReadData/1955/E-2210-1955-0023-101599.pdf

Edit: Text from Indian Citizenship Act, 1955.
Thanks so much for this. I think this answers my question. I wasn't going to use my Indian passport to travel but I wanted to make sure I disclose my citizenship details properly when I apply for my business visa using my Canadian passport but before I surrender my Indian one. I will choose only Canada as my country of citizenship.

Jasmann21

Apr 4, 2022
Hello everyone
I just want to know if someone had applied for the GCMS notes and received the notes and what is the timeline for receiving after you apply
Thanks

cardilo

Mar 19, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-05-2018
Med's Done....
25-05-2018
Passport Req..
31-07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hi, I got everything completed already.
Oath ceremony March 17th.

April 2022 - Online Applicant - I have to reschedule my ceremony as I won't be in the country to attend, any ideas on how to check availability? As they said they have none planned yet after march 21st.

Cheers and good luck to all!
Hi! Attended ceremony in April 5th, case closed April 7th. Lucky I didn’t miss my holidays with the fear of rescheduling.
It has been a journey everyone, good luck!

ppcg2510

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
27-04-2018
AOR Received.
27-06-2018
Med's Request
21-10-2019
Med's Done....
06-11-2019
Passport Req..
24-01-2020
VISA ISSUED...
31-01-2020
LANDED..........
08-02-2020
Hi! Attended ceremony in April 5th, case closed April 7th. Lucky I didn’t miss my holidays with the fear of rescheduling.
It has been a journey everyone, good luck!
Congrats ! So if I understand correctly, you asked to reschedule and they set you for 2 weeks later ?

yuaki123

Oct 23, 2018
hopefully they agree on something instead! but looks like 159000 worker will be on strike, thats a big a number!
I hope they can work something out. I have a trip already booked for July, and from the website it looks like even the passports services will also be disrupted. It gonna be challenging even if you went through with the ceremony but cannot even apply for a passport and with no PR card to go back to Canada :(

Reactions: ada228

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
Hi Everyone, typically when are we expected to receive the oath invitation email with details for the oath ceremony?

I am scheduled for Oath Ceremony on April 25, 2023, my office is Scarborough but I have not received anything as of now. Does it typcially come a week or two weeks before the oath?

Any reply would be highly appreciated :)

ada228

Mar 23, 2023
Hi Everyone, typically when are we expected to receive the oath invitation email with details for the oath ceremony?

I am scheduled for Oath Ceremony on April 25, 2023, my office is Scarborough but I have not received anything as of now. Does it typcially come a week or two weeks before the oath?

Any reply would be highly appreciated :)
usually a week or the last friday in the week before, if you don't get it call them

Reactions: johnyrose

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
usually a week or the last friday in the week before, if you don't get it call them
Thanks for your reply. I did give them a call this morning and the agent mentioned just because I am scheduled doesn't mean I will be invited for the same ceremony it maybe moved to any date as IRCC see fit..this made me so anxious!! I don't understand why show it in my tracker then if it's not a confirmed date. Just want to get over the line like everybody else here.

ada228

Mar 23, 2023
Thanks for your reply. I did give them a call this morning and the agent mentioned just because I am scheduled doesn't mean I will be invited for the same ceremony it maybe moved to any date as IRCC see fit..this made me so anxious!! I don't understand why show it in my tracker then if it's not a confirmed date. Just want to get over the line like everybody else here.
it is stressful thing, hopefully IRCC understand that and refine the process to be much smoother!