+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

April 2021 - Citizenship applications

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
Hello everyone,

I owe an update as I previously posted that I never got the confirmation email for my online application. Well, I finally did receive an AOR; submitted my application in Vancouver on April 20 this year, got the AOR on August 25, my total number of days spent in Canada was 1180.5. You can add this to the tracker if you wish.

Now for my question - Having received my AOR, I will have to execute my long-delayed plans and leave Canada (for the time being). What are the next steps I need to do - should I engage with CIC via the Contact Us form to let them know? Do I need to maintain a snail mail address here even though it's an online application?

Further, I have no access to "old ECAS" and I don't know how to get it, the online tracker as I understand will show that the application is "in progress" even though it might not be. Should I pre-emptively take fingerprints while I'm still in Canada to save myself from a future trip solely for that purpose - is there any info anywhere on how to do that? Also if it's easier to go back to a different Canadian city rather than Vancouver, for any future steps including the citizenship test, is is possible to do them in a different location (say Toronto)?

Thanks everyone so much and good luck!
You don't need to notify IRCC about your travel plans https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5, unless you receive the test invite and you continue to be out of Canada you will need to let them know and they will allow you to take the test from abroad, but in regards to the Oath you must be in Canada to take it.

It appears that ECAS is not working for online applicants and the current trends indicate that BG verification completed comes after the change to In Process in ECAS, you will only be able to see the changes in the new dashboard. In regards to which city is better to continue with the process, I would say that with online applicants I have noticed the process is quicker and they are not following the current paper applicants trends by local office. There are some offices that are slower than others, the office where I have seen active movement in regards to Test and Oath is Scarborough.

In regards to your question about FP, don't bother, I did it and it didn't work, I submitted FP as soon as my AOR was sent back in April and GCMS notes indicated they received them in May, but I was required to go through the process again in July.

Remember that this is just my personal opinion, I am not an expert and provide this information based on trends and experiences from other members!!!

Last edited:

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
Hey guys, just wanted to update that status in ECAS has changed to 'In Progress' on 8th September 2021 and the new tracker shows 'Background Check' as completed on 9th September, 2021.

I am wondering why 'Language Skills', 'Physical Presence' and 'Prohibitions' are still showing the status as 'In Progress'. Language skills and Physical Presence are clearly visible on the application, aren't they? And, if Background verification has been completed, I would imagine that 'Prohibitions' must have been completed simultaneously too. Does anyone have any idea about what happens next and when the invitation to appear in the test be extended?

Lastly, how do you guys prepare for the test? Please share tips if any. Cheers!
Language Skills, Physical Presence and Prohibitions will be the last items to show as complete, that will tell you when a decision has made about your case.

Based on current trends, January and February online applicants are receiving test invites, therefore I would say in a couple of months you might be receiving the test invite, but trends could change.

Read Discover Canada at least twice.

This is a sticky thread in this forum, it has summary of the book in English and French and a lot of websites to practice sample tests.

Notes from Discover Canada and Sample tests.

There a lot of resources in Youtube, audio book, practice tests, etc.

Jul 14, 2017
Language Skills, Physical Presence and Prohibitions will be the last items to show as complete, that will tell you when a decision has made about your case.

Based on current trends, January and February online applicants are receiving test invites, therefore I would say in a couple of months you might be receiving the test invite, but trends could change.

Read Discover Canada at least twice.

This is a sticky thread in this forum, it has summary of the book in English and French and a lot of websites to practice sample tests.

Notes from Discover Canada and Sample tests.

There a lot of resources in Youtube, audio book, practice tests, etc.

Thanks for your quick response. Much appreciated!

RoseDB

Star Member
Jul 15, 2017
Hi, Applied Online from Toronto on March 23 2021, AOR on Aug 19 2021. Can someone update it in spreadsheet?

I created my online account today and see the updates
Language skills, physical presence, Background Verification, Prohibitons all "In Progress"

Reactions: Wandering Mind

RoseDB

Star Member
Jul 15, 2017
Is anyone aware about the online tests?
I see that now all tests are taken online. However, can one take the test if outside Canada as it is online and NOT in-person?

Please advise.

Last edited:

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
Is anyone aware about the online tests?
I see that now all tests are taken online. However, can one take the test if outside Canada as it is online and NOT in-person?

Please advise.
Yes you can take the outside of Canada, once you receive the test invite email, you will be able to reply to them indicating you are outside Canada, and they will give you instructions on how to take it from where you are.

Reactions: RoseDB

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
Hi, Applied Online from Toronto on March 23 2021, AOR on Aug 19 2021. Can someone update it in spreadsheet?

I created my online account today and see the updates
Language skills, physical presence, Background Verification, Prohibitons all "In Progress"
I have added your information to the 2021 March tab, could you please provide your physical presence days at the time or your application? Thanks

johnsyk

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-4-2017
AOR Received.
10-4-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-4-2017
You will see a real update in the dashboard hopefully a couple of days after, it will probably be BG verification completed. Keep us posted. Thanks
And happy to confirm that my background check has been changed to COMPLETED on 7th September! Kindly update the tracker. Thank you @Strongfaith42

johnsyk

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-4-2017
AOR Received.
10-4-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-4-2017
Hey Johnsyk,

We have the same dates for status change to IN PROGRESS. My AOR Date is 28th June.

Best of luck for a speedy process.
And best of luck to you too! Our timelines are very similar!

johnsyk

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-4-2017
AOR Received.
10-4-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-4-2017
Also my minor daughter has no update on new ECAS. Based on what was mentioned in the forum, just double checking that a minor will follow the parents timeline?

canadawelcome

Feb 21, 2017
Please update tracker
Paper application:

Physical Presence Days: 1160
Application: Family (2)
Application sent: April 13, 2021
Delivered: April 19, 2021
5 Year Eligibility: April 10, 2016 to April 10, 2021
AOR: July 13th 2021
ECAS In Progress :Sept 7th 2021

RoseDB

Star Member
Jul 15, 2017
Yes you can take the outside of Canada, once you receive the test invite email, you will be able to reply to them indicating you are outside Canada, and they will give you instructions on how to take it from where you are.
Thank you for your reply. This helps.

RoseDB

Star Member
Jul 15, 2017
I have added your information to the 2021 March tab, could you please provide your physical presence days at the time or your application? Thanks
Thanks for entering the information.
Total Physical presence was 1108. Also, it's an online appilcation.
What is in process eras suppose to mean?

Strongfaith42

Champion Member
Mar 24, 2015
Thanks for entering the information.
Total Physical presence was 1108. Also, it's an online appilcation.
What is in process eras suppose to mean?
I have updated your information!!! There are to different tracker to track your application. One is called ECAS (now it is called old ECAS) as it appears only paper applicants have access to it, there you could see when your application had been received "Application received", when your application went in to "In Process" this is when they have actually started processing your application by initiating the BG check (criminality / security) and you file is transferred to your local office, when documents like fingerprints were requested (if the applicant actually needed to submit them, not all applicants are required to do go through this step), Test Invite, and when your application went into "Decision Made".

It appears that online applicants only have access to the new Dashboard where your application will appeared to be In Progress from the moment your file is created (AOR) in the system until your application is closed.

Therefore the meaning from the ECAS "in process" is completely different than the Dashboard "In Progress. Does this help answering your question?