+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

APRIL 2020 - INLAND Spousal Sponsorship

jd8i

May 7, 2015
Canada
Category........
FAM
I have a question regarding the 2020 spousal tracker online. I noticed some have assigned a date for "Background check - We started processing". I assume this is not the same "background check" done for OWP? My sister in law has gotten her background check completed under her OWP application. I assume that another background check will be done for Spousal PR separately from OWP background check.
They are two BG checks. The BG check for PR will be more thorough than the OWP one, but there is a possibility of overlaping.

Srivi

Dec 11, 2020
Hi all,
I have a representative (lawyer) who receives communication regarding my application. I don't see update for biometrics (given on Dec 24) in ecas. Wondering if all correspondence will be sent to my lawyer or is it absolutely essential that I have to link the application to my GC key (in which case I may have to cancel representative, which I donot wish). Will IRCC send any message into my GC key account though I have not linked (which I presume no). Can one of you explain. Thanks!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
My sister in law has gotten his Medical Request today. Not that I am complaining but I am a but surprised that she was requested a medical exam before reaching AIP stage. I thought medical requests are usually requested at close to the end of the PR process and we have not reached AIP stage yet.

Last edited:

jd8i

May 7, 2015
Canada
Category........
FAM
My sister in law has gotten his Medical Request today. Not that I am complaining but I am a but surprised that she was requested a medical exam before reaching AIP stage. I thought medical requests are usually requested at close to the end of the PR process and we have not reached AIP stage yet.
For family sponsorship, MED usually is requested right after AOR & Bio. Now with IRCC waives BIO for applicants who already got BIO from previous temp residence application, MED can be right after AOR.

So, not a strange thing for sister's case.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
For family sponsorship, MED usually is requested right after AOR & Bio. Now with IRCC waives BIO for applicants who already got BIO from previous temp residence application, MED can be right after AOR.

So, not a strange thing for sister's case.
It is for me since I have sponsored my spouse for PR sponsorship in the past and at the time, all background/medical/police check was done after reaching AIP, not before. Which in my option makes sense, since up to AIP stage, IRCC need to confirm that the sponsor qualifies for sponsorship, after meeting that stage, an AIP is then issued and the focus is on the applicant, medical / background/ police check. etc, etc. But I would not be complaining if DM is issued not long after AIP is issued since medical/background check was already done before AIP was issued. Perhaps the pandemic has changed the order of how the process is done to help speed things up for applicant.

canadiangirl88

Star Member
May 2, 2020
Hello! We received:
- Dec 11, 2020: OWP (actual physical permit came couple days later in mail)
- Jan 6, 2021: AOR ... an email “This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2020/04/29 on behalf of the following member(s): xxxxx” I believe this is the AOR but not entirely sure lol, is this the AOR?
- Jan 11, 2021: Medical request

couple of questions!
1. Is it normal for medical request to come before biometrics request? I’m sorry if this has been answered. I’ve tried reading through many forums and haven’t really found anyone asking this question.

2. At what point in the application process is the spouse typically approved? I would have thought they would have approved the spouse first before they requested more things from the applicant. I’m just confused on the timeline of all these steps honestly. Any insight is greatly appreciated :)

Pilkela

Sep 10, 2019
Hi, someone else still waiting for their work permit? I have given biometrics already (submitted and received 14th of Jan) and medicals requested and booked yet still no news on the work permit. I just managed to link the application today and the only status it says "We are processing your application". It seems that all is good, it just last super long. How soon after submitting biometrics folks have gotten their OWP? Thanks and happy waiting everyone!

jd8i

May 7, 2015
Canada
Category........
FAM
Hi, someone else still waiting for their work permit? I have given biometrics already (submitted and received 14th of Jan) and medicals requested and booked yet still no news on the work permit. I just managed to link the application today and the only status it says "We are processing your application". It seems that all is good, it just last super long. How soon after submitting biometrics folks have gotten their OWP? Thanks and happy waiting everyone!
Most applicants got OWP approval around the same time of their sponsorship AOR. You can call IRCC to check on your OWP application.

lynnklee

May 9, 2020
Please, I need some insight.

Applying for inland spouse and owp, applied first week of April 2020. We've extended my husband's stay (no decision made yet) and we've yet to get a real update.. Only an email on Jan 9 2021 that the application was received (9 months later?? i understand theres a pandemic but did anyone else wait that long?). How behind are we and how can I make sure my husband can stay?? My heart is aching knowing people at this point have a lot more info, and we cant even link his app, it says it cannot be found. Client Application tool gave us no info): we have the app number and UCI. has something gone wrong??? we paid all our fees... what can i do

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Please, I need some insight.

Applying for inland spouse and owp, applied first week of April 2020. We've extended my husband's stay (no decision made yet) and we've yet to get a real update.. Only an email on Jan 9 2021 that the application was received (9 months later?? i understand theres a pandemic but did anyone else wait that long?). How behind are we and how can I make sure my husband can stay?? My heart is aching knowing people at this point have a lot more info, and we cant even link his app, it says it cannot be found. Client Application tool gave us no info): we have the app number and UCI. has something gone wrong??? we paid all our fees... what can i do
It is expected to get an AOR this late. We received it in Dec and received a medical request in Jan. As long as you submitted a visitor's extension request or submitted a OWP application with your PR application before his 6 months status was up. Your husband's status will remain valid until you get an IRCC's response. So no worries there.

However to link your husband application online: try the following. I wasn't able to link the application online until I followed these steps as shown.

1. Press Link Application
2. Permanent Residence - Family Class (Spouses)
3. Application Number and Family Name - Copy/paste application number from email (including the F) and enter PA's last name
4. Select one of two options next: Place of Birth or Passport Details
5. Fill PA's info for the option you selected above and not both at the same time
6. Put the Details of the City where the PA plans to reside after getting PR, this info should match with what you put in form IMM0008
7. Put Marital Status as what you put in your application.
8. Put '2' as the number of members in the application for sponsor + spouse (add +1 per dependents)

Try these steps and I hope it works for you,

Martusik

Feb 28, 2021
Hi there,
My husband is a sponsor. I'm currently on my post-graduate work permit that expires on September 30, 2021, and I want to apply for a work permit extension with the sponsorship application. Should I write a letter to support the work permit extension? If yes, can you share what you wrote? Thank you in advance!

S.Basra

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
Hello,
Due to Covid there is an extra post-graduate work permit, so you can apply for a work permit under this public policy. I don't think you need any letter.Also this new work permit is going to be for 18 months.