+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

April 2015 citizenship Applicants

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
Babi22 said:
Hi Guys,

I'm about to request the information form CIC about my application,

Should I request through Access to Information Act or Privacy Act ?

Should I order email or CD ?

I guess the "Type of records" is : Case file ?

Notes in Electronic file or Physical file ?

Thanks.
For starters, some vocabulary:

ATIP - Access to Information and Access to Privacy Acts which include provisions that enable individual to request government records, and in case of many citizenship applicants - copies of their immigration and citizenship files.

GCMS - Global Case Management System - a portal used internally by CIC to track case progress of each file. This is also referred to in CIC documentation as electronic files.

Electronic Files - record of each application's progress as documented in CIC's internal Global Case Management System.

Paper Files - refers to copies of the actual paper application/binder that constitutes one's application, including all information submitted initially and subsequently (such as RQ responses).

Process Overview
In many cases, when there has not been an update on your application, you may want to request a copy of your case progress report. You have two routes to take in doing so - request is via the Access to Information or the Access to Privacy Acts. The key difference is that requests made under Access to Information Act can apply to either individual files, or some other government information you may want to access. Making requests under the Access to Information option will also cost you $5.00.

Submitting your request
1. To make an ATIP request please visit: https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/

2. Once you consent to the privacy notice, make sure you select and fill in appropriate information. The last question on page 1 of the form will ask you how you would like to receive your files. You have two options: by email to the email address you provided, or on a CD delivered to your specified address. This is purely a matter of preference.

3. The following page will ask you to select the Act under which you are making a request: Privacy Act (if requesting info about your own case) or Information Act (if requesting any other type of CIC related information).

4. When asked "Which Types of Records Do You Wish To Request" select case files.

Physical Files or Electronic Files?
The last question on this page will ask you "What Type of Information Would You Like To Request?". You have two options: notes in electronic file or physical file. As mentioned in the definitions above, the physical file will be a scanned copy of your physical application and any other correspondence that may have been exchanged between you and the CIC - it's the actual binder that is sitting in CIC's files waiting to be processed. As such, it likely won't show you much new information and may somewhat delay processing since the file needs to be taken out of the queue, scanned and put back.

For most folks getting the notes in the electronic file is likely the most satisfying option since it will show your file's progress and any notes that may have been entered by CIC staff.

Once you make your selections and submit your request, it should take anywhere between 4-6 weeks for the information to arrive either in your mailbox or inbox.

Repercussions
From what we have seen, there have not been any procedural drawbacks or repercussions to ordering one's own case notes or physical file copies. The only drawback I can think of is the slight delay in that scanning a physical file may add to the processing of an application that otherwise is on a fast-track or within the prescribed normal processing times.

For those who have received RQs, getting copies of these files is almost crucial - to understand exactly what is going on with the application and to further prepare for meetings with judges or other legal proceedings.

It's worth noting that in some cases making a request for copies of your physical file can stir CIC into action, as was the case with one member's application on this forum (can't remember who), who made the request and as a result of having to touch her file the CIC realized that it was in the wrong pile.

Good Luck!

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If a case is within the prescribed timeline, why should we do all this? CIC website indicates 24 months timeline for the citizenship applications, I guess. And most of us are in the 4-5 months range yet.

Many of my friends have become citizen in the last few years and I have not heard a single one of them using this.

I feel that by doing all this we are creating additional hurdles for the entire process. We might want to keep in mind that CIC has "x" number of staff. We can expect them to process our applications in a timely manner or devote their time and energy to responding to ATIP type requests. Unless there's something unusual happening with the case, I find no reason to use all these channels. And if we do use this, lately we have no right to blame CIC for the slowed application process. Choice is all ours.

My two cents. I don't intend to comment on anyone's case. I just thought to share what I feel in general.

Best,

Babi22 said:
Hi Guys,

I'm about to request the information form CIC about my application,

Should I request through Access to Information Act or Privacy Act ?

Should I order email or CD ?

I guess the "Type of records" is : Case file ?

Notes in Electronic file or Physical file ?

Thanks.

Cairo

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mississauga News:

Finally got our file in process on August 19. Here is my timeline so far:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on May 4, 2015.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on June 17, 2015.
We started processing your application on August 19, 2015.

Mississauga applicants, any updates?

Wish everybody the best :)

Zaker

Dec 13, 2013
Hello everyone,

My wife and I received the test invitation by email today. They asked us to print out the attached files and
bring them with other original documents for test. I checked our eCas, but it is not updated!.
This is our time line:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on April 28, 2015.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on June 4, 2015.
We started processing your application on June 18, 2015.
Your file was transferred to the office responsible for your area on June 25, 2015. The office responsible for your area will contact you.

Our test date is Sep 21st.

Good luck everyone

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
Zaker said:
Hello everyone,

My wife and I received the test invitation by email today. They asked us to print out the attached files and
bring them with other original documents for test. I checked our eCas, but it is not updated!.
This is our time line:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on April 28, 2015.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on June 4, 2015.
Your file was transferred to the office responsible for your area on June 25, 2015. The office responsible for your area will contact you.

Good luck everyone
Congratulations.

FAAMS

Aug 13, 2015
Zaker said:
Hello everyone,

This is our time line:

Good luck everyone
Congratulations .....could you please tell us where is your local office ?

Good luck with your test :)

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
FAAMS said:
Congratulations .....could you please tell us where is your local office ?

Good luck with your test :)
According to April spreadsheet, Zaker is from Vancouver...

Congrats Zaker.

tb2708

May 6, 2015
I checked my eCas today and it shows that I have been sent a notice to write the test on September 4th!! I haven't received the letter yet but it says it was sent on the 21st. I think I will believe it when I get the letter in my hand. I'm also anxious to see what they tell me to bring.

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
tb2708 said:
I checked my eCas today and it shows that I have been sent a notice to write the test on September 4th!! I haven't received the letter yet but it says it was sent on the 21st. I think I will believe it when I get the letter in my hand. I'm also anxious to see what they tell me to bring.
Congrats tb2708. They will ask you to bring the originals of the documents submitted plus current and expired passports that covers the 4 years in your application.

Did you apply with urgent processing ? Your timeline seems a bit fast. congrats again.

tb2708

May 6, 2015
Thank you Babi22 and thank you for the information. I did not request urgent processing. I think it seems fast which is why I want to see the letter to be sure!

ROMA_1

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
tb2708 said:
Thank you Babi22 and thank you for the information. I did not request urgent processing. I think it seems fast which is why I want to see the letter to be sure!
[/quote
Congrats.
Is there transfer to local office line in your e case?

tb2708

May 6, 2015
No I never saw the transfer to local office. I was checking a couple of times a week. I last checked on Saturday and it didn't say anything. Then this morning it had changed to mention the test date.

ROMA_1

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
tb2708 said:
No I never saw the transfer to local office. I was checking a couple of times a week. I last checked on Saturday and it didn't say anything. Then this morning it had changed to mention the test date.
Oh. Fine it seems that many spplicants receive test invite without LOT update. GOOD
good luck ✌