+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approved while on TRV - next steps

gordiewow

Star Member
Jul 22, 2018
Hi everyone -

My wife has finally been granted "Decision Made" - approved for permanent residency! End of a long, tedious process. Big relief.

I'll share my timeline in a subsequent post in the September 2018 group, but had two questions.

-- My wife is currently in Canada on a TRV and we sent her passport to Ottawa as requested. Does the Decision Made mean that they've received the passport, checked it, and will be mailing it back with an approval letter?

-- At which stage does she receive her PR card?

-- Is there any way for the PR status to be "activated" without her leaving and re-entering Canada? Or does she stay on TRV until this happens (and thus must follow the TRV timeline)?

Thanks as always for the helpful feedback on this often confusing process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone -

My wife has finally been granted "Decision Made" - approved for permanent residency! End of a long, tedious process. Big relief.

I'll share my timeline in a subsequent post in the September 2018 group, but had two questions.

-- My wife is currently in Canada on a TRV and we sent her passport to Ottawa as requested. Does the Decision Made mean that they've received the passport, checked it, and will be mailing it back with an approval letter?

-- At which stage does she receive her PR card?

-- Is there any way for the PR status to be "activated" without her leaving and re-entering Canada? Or does she stay on TRV until this happens (and thus must follow the TRV timeline)?

Thanks as always for the helpful feedback on this often confusing process.
- Yes.
- A few weeks after she has completed landing activities and officially become a PR.
- She must complete landing activities. This can be done through re-entering Canada on an international flight, driving down to the nearest US/Canada landborder and "flagpoling, or through booking a landing appointment at an office within Canada. She must do one of these three activities before the expiry date on her COPR which she will receive with her passport.

gordiewow

Star Member
Jul 22, 2018
Thanks very much for the helpful reply.

I read about the landing appointment but the official page on this was confusing. It gave the info on making appointments but misread this - Note: You must leave Canada, enter another country and re-enter Canada to become a permanent resident at an international airport or Canadian border.

Reading it again, I take it they are giving some info for those choosing this method, not negating the other.

Thanks again!