+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***Approved PR Exempted from Travel Ban! For Landing Deadline Mar - July 2020 Are You Risking COVID19? Or Taking the Plunge***

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
***Planned Landing Now At Risk***

The last released information regarding exemptions from incoming foreigners to Canada, paves the way for travel for those approved PR applicants who choose to do their Landing within the next few weeks / months, while the COVID related restrictions are in place.

So would you risk COVID 19 infection and still perform your Landing now? Many of us have written to CIC using the web form (on 11 March, as instructed by CIC website). In my case an acknowledgement was received (on 16) , stating CIC will assess and revert if my Mother's Landing deadline of mid-May 2020 can be extended or not.

While CIC I think are doing a commendable job in still keeping the train rolling, in times where everything is halting, there is an element of judgement call for those of us, whose dear ones or we ourselves are scheduled to fly for Landing within the next few days or months. (Remember the travel ban ends on 30 June, implies the health risk is perceived at least until then).

The other and rather more pertinent consideration besides what the exemptions from authorities are emerging is - should we take the plunge and travel? For my elderly Mother, the travel duration is about 20 hours with one stop and change on the shortest route. All by herself!

So What Will You Do?
Are you in similar situation?
- please share your thoughts, so others can learn from you.
So I can learn from you.
~thank you and I am waiting for your thoughts, comments!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/03/canada-provides-update-on-exemptions-to-travel-restrictions-to-protect-canadians-and-support-the-economy.html

News release
March 20, 2020—Ottawa—The Government of Canada is providing an update on travel restrictions put in place to stem the spread of COVID-19.
Exemptions to the air travel restrictions will apply to foreign nationals who have already committed to working, studying or making Canada their home, and travel by these individuals will be considered essential travel for land border restrictions.
The exemptions include
  • seasonal agricultural workers, fish/seafood workers, caregivers and all other temporary foreign workers
  • international students who held a valid study permit, or had been approved for a study permit, when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020
  • permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but who had not yet travelled to Canada
In addition, a temporary modification is being made to the Labour Market Impact Assessment process for agriculture and food processing employers, as the required 2-week recruitment period will be waived for the next 6 months.

Sreshta15

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
Toronto
AOR Received.
21-12-2018
Med's Request
15-05-2019
Hi There,

I'm in the same situation, My mom's landing deadline is June 10th. she was supposed to travel end of march which we had to cancel due to Covid.
i havent submitted the we form to IRCC for extending the date yet. but would like to know if you received any response from IRCC after your form submission.

Any decision made, if so please update how many days of extension was provided and what are the next steps that they have advised.

Thank you in advance.

***Planned Landing Now At Risk***

The last released information regarding exemptions from incoming foreigners to Canada, paves the way for travel for those approved PR applicants who choose to do their Landing within the next few weeks / months, while the COVID related restrictions are in place.

So would you risk COVID 19 infection and still perform your Landing now? Many of us have written to CIC using the web form (on 11 March, as instructed by CIC website). In my case an acknowledgement was received (on 16) , stating CIC will assess and revert if my Mother's Landing deadline of mid-May 2020 can be extended or not.

While CIC I think are doing a commendable job in still keeping the train rolling, in times where everything is halting, there is an element of judgement call for those of us, whose dear ones or we ourselves are scheduled to fly for Landing within the next few days or months. (Remember the travel ban ends on 30 June, implies the health risk is perceived at least until then).

The other and rather more pertinent consideration besides what the exemptions from authorities are emerging is - should we take the plunge and travel? For my elderly Mother, the travel duration is about 20 hours with one stop and change on the shortest route. All by herself!

So What Will You Do?
Are you in similar situation?
- please share your thoughts, so others can learn from you.
So I can learn from you.
~thank you and I am waiting for your thoughts, comments!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/03/canada-provides-update-on-exemptions-to-travel-restrictions-to-protect-canadians-and-support-the-economy.html

News release
March 20, 2020—Ottawa—The Government of Canada is providing an update on travel restrictions put in place to stem the spread of COVID-19.
Exemptions to the air travel restrictions will apply to foreign nationals who have already committed to working, studying or making Canada their home, and travel by these individuals will be considered essential travel for land border restrictions.
The exemptions include
  • seasonal agricultural workers, fish/seafood workers, caregivers and all other temporary foreign workers
  • international students who held a valid study permit, or had been approved for a study permit, when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020
  • permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but who had not yet travelled to Canada
In addition, a temporary modification is being made to the Labour Market Impact Assessment process for agriculture and food processing employers, as the required 2-week recruitment period will be waived for the next 6 months.

MustLoveCats

Jan 24, 2016
I would do it. Why risk having to redo the entire process, losing time and money, and repaying? I got lucky that I was able to soft land before things really got turned upside down with the bans.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi There,

I'm in the same situation, My mom's landing deadline is June 10th. she was supposed to travel end of march which we had to cancel due to Covid.
i havent submitted the we form to IRCC for extending the date yet. but would like to know if you received any response from IRCC after your form submission.

Any decision made, if so please update how many days of extension was provided and what are the next steps that they have advised.

Thank you in advance.
As above submit the web form informing IRCC about not being able to travel end March. Nobody is I believe getting any specific extensions at the moment given nobody knows how long this emergency will last so no point in saying here is a 3 month extension only to find the situation is still as bad and have to notify everyone again and again.. Hence the need to register with IRCC so recorded as having a travel issue. Also air travel will likely take months to get any where near normal and that assumes any transit points are also open for flights.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I think you have to take a number of things into consideration. How old is the person traveling, considering that elderly people or those with underlying conditions are more susceptible to catching it and it could impact them worse than most younger, healthy people. Might be better to stay where you are.

Where are you traveling from, a 1st world country where you have a roof over your head and a good health care system, might be better to stay where you are. Are you in a 3rd world country where the healthcare system is inadequate to handle the crisis. I think I would go if I could.

Is it essential that the person gets to Canada ASAP, everybody will have their opinion of what is considered essential. I would consider spouses and dependents as being essential. IMO

If not a spouse or dependent you might/will have to convince CBSA when you are entering the country that it is for an essential reason, might have to convince the airline you are traveling on as well before being allowed to board. The person could get sent back. Do you want to risk that?

So many questions, not enough answers. Depends on your situation.

Sreshta15

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
Toronto
AOR Received.
21-12-2018
Med's Request
15-05-2019
Thanks for your response .

well, my mom’s landing date is June 10th. But based on current CoVid situation, we may not arrange landing From India to Canada by June 10th.

so seems, submitting the form to IRCC is the only option. But my worry is as if air travel is allowed (after India’s lockdown before June 10th) still we are not landing due to the fear of CoVid (only factor) is okay to IRCC or not. I understand if landing dates are March or April it should be acceptable and entire world is avoiding air travel in March and April.

hope IRCC will respond something to candidates.

As above submit the web form informing IRCC about not being able to travel end March. Nobody is I believe getting any specific extensions at the moment given nobody knows how long this emergency will last so no point in saying here is a 3 month extension only to find the situation is still as bad and have to notify everyone again and again.. Hence the need to register with IRCC so recorded as having a travel issue. Also air travel will likely take months to get any where near normal and that assumes any transit points are also open for flights.