+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approved I797A - Canada PR Landing Options

DeepakReddy

May 3, 2022
Hi Team,

This forum has been great in help adding all the information for the Non-Immigrant US VISA holders moving to Canada for Landing.

Thanks for your contribution.

I am seeking some advice/help here on my situation. Appreciate if anyone of you can share your inputs on this one.

I have a COPR that will be expiring soon. I am planning to travel to Canada and complete the Landing formalities, however I do not have a valid US VISA stamp on my Indian passport. I had few questions around the following options. Appreciate the response on these:

Option 1. Automatic Visa Revalidation:

I had explored this option and I do have a valid I-797 Approval with a valid non-expiring I-94 issued attached to the I-797 Approval (H1B Visa). I had converted from L1A to H1B recently and the passport has a unexpired L1A stamping valid till 2024. Now, since I do not technically have an expired VISA, will the CBP official accept the re-entry request?
I spoke with an Attorney but she mentioned that there may be a complication since I do not have a H1B stamping earlier. Anybody has experienced the same situation.

Option 2: US VISA through Courier/Dropbox

I see that VISA slots are not available in most of the consulates and when applying for US VISA, there was an option asking whether I was traveling from another country to apply for US. When I selected the option as No, it displayed an option to validate if I am either Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada. Once I cross the border, I am hoping that I am officially a Permanent Resident of Canada so I selected this option. This helped to a stage and now it is prompting to send the documents via Courier. However my question is more around Proof of Legal Status in Canada. Can I send the copy of Border Crossing Document to avail this VISA waiver since I am sure that PR Card would certainly not arrive sooner. I am fine to stay in Canada for sometime to get a US VISA in case AVR is challenging. Please suggest on this one.

Wish you happy moving into Canada !!

Thanks,
Deepak Reddy