+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approved COPR and Travel Restrictions

Noukie’s

Dec 17, 2019
I received my COPR yesterday and I have till Dec 15th to travel to Canada? What shall I do in this situation with travel restrictions? I searched everywhere, with no positive response. Does anyone know what to do?
Hi,
Same situation here. We received CORP on 05 Nov 2020 with a validity only until 03 Jan 2021 (Our medical was expired on 27 Dec 2020 and extended till 03 Jan). With the current travel restrictions, we’re not allowed to land. Now we’re praying hard that they won’t suddenly lift travel restrictions in Dec or early Jan, we don’t have enough time for preparation and landing :(
Planning to try our luck to request IRCC to extend our CORP. At the same time doing whatever we could to plan for a last minute landing in case they suddenly remove travel restrictions.
If you hear anything from IRCC regarding your case, please share here so anyone with a similar case knows what to expect. Thanks.

Oyinakin

Nov 9, 2020
You do not become a permanent resident until you land in Canada and pass immigration where the officer stamps and gives the final approvals necessary. Being a COPR holder does not make you a permanent resident yet.
Okay. Thank you for the clarification

alyemeni

Jan 13, 2015
You do not become a permanent resident until you land in Canada and pass immigration where the officer stamps and gives the final approvals necessary. Being a COPR holder does not make you a permanent resident yet.
We understand this point, but what we are saying is with all the restrictions that we have to travel to Canada, how can we travel before COPR expiry. Only one month left before the expiry date. Is there an update on how to enter Canada these days as we don't meet the travel exemption they provided in their website? @legalfalcon

Reactions: asmakh

Noukie’s

Dec 17, 2019
We understand this point, but what we are saying is with all the restrictions that we have to travel to Canada, how can we travel before COPR expiry. Only one month left before the expiry date. Is there an update on how to enter Canada these days as we don't meet the travel exemption they provided in their website? @legalfalcon
Please try to contact IRCC to ask for extension.
I’m in discussion with a member in other thread. He/ she asked for an extension and IRCC requested him/ her to send back passport to VO for cancellation of expiring visa & CORP (the validity is Feb 2021) and reissue extended visa & CORP.
Do update here if you manage to get extension, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtcan19

ama2020

Jul 19, 2020
Saskatoon
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17/02/2019
Doc's Request.
27/02/2019
Nomination.....
08/08/2019
AOR Received.
04/09/2019
Med's Done....
30/08/2019
Passport Req..
10/10/2020
VISA ISSUED...
20/08/2020
LANDED..........
17/01/2021
I'm on the same boat.
My CoPR was issued 20/08/20, valid until 07/04/21.
Non-EU currently with a student expired visa expired in Ireland, neither can go back to Brazil nor go to Canada. Does anyone have any idea if my illegal status for 5 months due to Covid might impact my landing?

Noukie’s

Dec 17, 2019
I'm on the same boat.
My CoPR was issued 20/08/20, valid until 07/04/21.
Non-EU currently with a student expired visa expired in Ireland, neither can go back to Brazil nor go to Canada. Does anyone have any idea if my illegal status for 5 months due to Covid might impact my landing?
Have you tried to request Ireland to issue you a interim visa after your student visa’s expired in view of Covid-19 situation?
Or writing to IRCC to explain your circumstance to seek landing exemption?
My suggestion would be trying to avoid any illegal status. In case you need to extend CoPR validity, IRCC may ask you to resubmit police certification.

ama2020

Jul 19, 2020
Saskatoon
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17/02/2019
Doc's Request.
27/02/2019
Nomination.....
08/08/2019
AOR Received.
04/09/2019
Med's Done....
30/08/2019
Passport Req..
10/10/2020
VISA ISSUED...
20/08/2020
LANDED..........
17/01/2021
Have you tried to request Ireland to issue you a interim visa after your student visa’s expired in view of Covid-19 situation?
Or writing to IRCC to explain your circumstance to seek landing exemption?
My suggestion would be trying to avoid any illegal status. In case you need to extend CoPR validity, IRCC may ask you to resubmit police certification.
THanks for your input! I'm trying to get an extension, or such sort of permission, but as a non-EEA things get more difficult and the Immigration Office is with a backlog of more than 12.000 passports taking up to 6 months to return... I could even lost my CoPR.
And for sure I will keep an eye on the police certificate being "stained" by overstaying...

Noukie’s

Dec 17, 2019
THanks for your input! I'm trying to get an extension, or such sort of permission, but as a non-EEA things get more difficult and the Immigration Office is with a backlog of more than 12.000 passports taking up to 6 months to return... I could even lost my CoPR.
And for sure I will keep an eye on the police certificate being "stained" by overstaying...
I know it’s a challenging situation and we’re all facing uncertainty due to the pandemic.
We’re in a similar case as you. We can’t return to home country due to no available commercial flight and rescure flight is very limited. Can’t enter Canada while our CoPR is expiring 03-Jan-2021. We’re luckier that we have a valid visa in the current country of residence. However, can’t leave the country of residence else we can’t return once out as they close their borders tightly to control the pandemic.
I know lots of people on expired visa stuck here during the lock down period and their visa were extended by immigration office. So I hope you could find a solution for your case in the Ireland soon.

Also keep trying to reach IRCC to request for landing exemption. Hopefully they empathize with your difficulty and give you permission to fly into Canada. It’d still be the best option rather than extending CoPR while your residence status in Ireland is expired.

Most importantly stay safe and take care! All the best.

prachhh

Jun 4, 2019
Hi,
Same situation here. We received CORP on 05 Nov 2020 with a validity only until 03 Jan 2021 (Our medical was expired on 27 Dec 2020 and extended till 03 Jan). With the current travel restrictions, we’re not allowed to land. Now we’re praying hard that they won’t suddenly lift travel restrictions in Dec or early Jan, we don’t have enough time for preparation and landing :(
Planning to try our luck to request IRCC to extend our CORP. At the same time doing whatever we could to plan for a last minute landing in case they suddenly remove travel restrictions.
If you hear anything from IRCC regarding your case, please share here so anyone with a similar case knows what to expect. Thanks.
I am also in similar situation. Received COPR on 2nd Dec and is valid till 31st Dec 2020 only. Dont know what to do.

arshdeep218

Jun 21, 2020
Please try to contact IRCC to ask for extension.
I’m in discussion with a member in other thread. He/ she asked for an extension and IRCC requested him/ her to send back passport to VO for cancellation of expiring visa & CORP (the validity is Feb 2021) and reissue extended visa & CORP.
Do update here if you manage to get extension, thanks.
Hello Noukie

Did you hear back from teh other member till when were their VISA extended.
I am in the same boat, My COPR is expiring Mid Feb 2021 and I do not fall under any exemptions set by IRCC to travel

Thanks

asmakh

Jul 31, 2019
If you’re planning on coming temporarily and leaving again, you can’t do that right now unless you meet a different travel exemption.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved
Hi. I received COPR in November and I have bought tickets to travel on February 1 , 2021. I have a brother living in canada who is a permanent resident.
Am I eligible to travel in February 2021?I'm so confused and worried.

Noukie’s

Dec 17, 2019
Hello Noukie

Did you hear back from teh other member till when were their VISA extended.
I am in the same boat, My COPR is expiring Mid Feb 2021 and I do not fall under any exemptions set by IRCC to travel

Thanks
Hi Arshdeep218,

Only heard from him few days ago that his CoPR is extended till Oct 2021. No re-medical required.

We wrote to IRCC requesting for CoPR extension too but no luck so far, only received general responses to contact them again when they lift the border restrictions and we’re ready to travel.

Have you tried to contact to IRCC?

usa2canada2021

Nov 11, 2020
Hi,

I got my PRV stamped on passport and COPR with expiration date of 2/26/2021.
But today I got an email saying "We updated your application status(E**********)". So when I logged in and checked the profile, the Final Decision is changed back to "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made." and my Counterfoil and everything is no longer visible in the profile.

1) Any idea what is going on? Does this mean that IRCC is working on my profile to extend the COPR?
2) Did anyone recently experience the same in there profile?

Mikem86

Star Member
Jul 10, 2018
Hi everyone,

My CoPR that had been issued on 06 Oct 2020 expired on 04 Feb 2021, which was also the expiry date of my medical. I have now received a request letter in my account for re-taking my medical exam. I also noticed that my application status has been changed from "Approved" to again "in progress". I mean it is "in progress" for all my Eligibility, Background Check and Final Decision sections. Does this mean that my application has to once again be processed altogether?