+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approval odds for spousal sponsorship?

Dandan72

Nov 25, 2019
I want to bring my soon to be Filipina wife and my child who was born this past August into Canada.
We tried living in the Philippines but I simply cannot for health reasons.
I am still on a disability pension from Ontario. (ODSP)
My understanding is that I don't meet the minimum income threshold to get approved. Around 25,000$ I believe.
Immigration won't give me an answer regarding her chances of getting approved with my sponsorship.
All they can say is that I cannot be refused based on my disability and that Canada does try to support family reunification.
Are we wasting our time, money and hopes on this attempt to have my family immigrate to Canada?
Is she going to need to get a work visa for this to work?
We tried in the past to get a travel/tourist visa but we were denied twice already.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I want to bring my soon to be Filipina wife and my child who was born this past August into Canada.
We tried living in the Philippines but I simply cannot for health reasons.
I am still on a disability pension from Ontario. (ODSP)
My understanding is that I don't meet the minimum income threshold to get approved. Around 25,000$ I believe.
Immigration won't give me an answer regarding her chances of getting approved with my sponsorship.
All they can say is that I cannot be refused based on my disability and that Canada does try to support family reunification.
Are we wasting our time, money and hopes on this attempt to have my family immigrate to Canada?
Is she going to need to get a work visa for this to work?
We tried in the past to get a travel/tourist visa but we were denied twice already.
Does your wife work? Relying on disability to raise a family would be incredibly difficult. How long have you been out of Canada? Is your disability program aware that you are living out of Canada. Depending on the program you won’t be able to receive disability longterm in the Philippines.

Dandan72

Nov 25, 2019
Does your wife work? Relying on disability to raise a family would be incredibly difficult. How long have you been out of Canada? Is your disability program aware that you are living out of Canada. Depending on the program you won’t be able to receive disability longterm in the Philippines.
I have the intention of living in Canada 6 months out of the year to retain my benefits/pension/OHIP. (2 months in the Philippines followed by 2 months in Canada for medical treatments. That's the unfortunate realty until they can come to Canada).
My soon to be wife has worked prior to giving birth in call centers in the Philippines. She can do that again once here. But right now, in our application, we'll have to say she currently doesn't work, nor does she have a job offer in Canada.
However, my question was simply, given our situation, will Immigration Canada refuse or approve our application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have the intention of living in Canada 6 months out of the year to retain my benefits/pension/OHIP. (2 months in the Philippines followed by 2 months in Canada for medical treatments. That's the unfortunate realty until they can come to Canada).
My soon to be wife has worked prior to giving birth in call centers in the Philippines. She can do that again once here. But right now, in our application, we'll have to say she currently doesn't work, nor does she have a job offer in Canada.
However, my question was simply, given our situation, will Immigration Canada refuse or approve our application?
It is impossible to say. Do you have savings? Do you own a home? Based on you 25k benefits it would be pretty hard to fly to the Philippines 6 times a year and maintain a home in Canada and in the Philippines. If you are able to travel so much you may also get your disability status reviewed.

Dandan72

Nov 25, 2019
I realize it's hard to say for my specific situation.
I was hoping to come across someone else who's been approved despite having limited financial means.
I do have a house both here and in the Philippines.
Selling our home in the Philippines is part of the current plan to finance our first couple years expenses until she can work after getting her citizenship/work visa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I realize it's hard to say for my specific situation.
I was hoping to come across someone else who's been approved despite having limited financial means.
I do have a house both here and in the Philippines.
Selling our home in the Philippines is part of the current plan to finance our first couple years expenses until she can work after getting her citizenship/work visa.
Your means aren't that limited if you are flying to the Philippines multiple times a year.

You need to convince IRCC that you can support your family in Canada with welfare (other than disability). You need to submit a solid plan of how you will do this. If they think that your family will not be able to live without claiming regular welfare, you will be refused.

Reactions: Dandan72

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Given your situation, I think you will be on a long difficult path for approval.
Sponsoring future wife and child while on disability pension will be highly scrutinized.
I wouldn't apply for another visitor visa anytime soon, just adding to the red flags.
Take some time and reconsider your plans.