+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apprenticeship as an international student?

mandthepand

Sep 30, 2008
Can anyone tell me if I can enroll as an apprentice as an international student? I'm in the UK and wanting to study as a hair stylist in Alberta. The course starts with a 1400 hour study course, and then I would need to enroll onto the apprentice course for another 1400. Does anyone know if I can do this. I am presuming that the way forward would be to have a study permit for the first 1400 hours and then apply for a work permit to complete the apprenticeship or would the study permit allow me to complete the apprenticeship alone?

thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure about this one. When you are on a study permit, you may be able to get a student work permit for up to 20 hours a week and after you gratuate, you may qualify for a post-grad work permit for up to the same amount of time as your studies, so 1 year studies, 1 year work permit.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
I am not sure about this one. When you are on a study permit, you may be able to get a student work permit for up to 20 hours a week and after you gratuate, you may qualify for a post-grad work permit for up to the same amount of time as your studies, so 1 year studies, 1 year work permit.
It is probably unlikely that most hairdressing schools would qualify for the OP to get a Post Grad Work Permit.
"# a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, university or CEGEP (in Quebec), or
# a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify), or"

PMM

mandthepand

Sep 30, 2008
[/quote]

It is probably unlikely that most hairdressing schools would qualify for the OP to get a Post Grad Work Permit.
"# a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, university or CEGEP (in Quebec), or
# a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify), or"

PMM
[/quote]

Where did you get the latter part of this information from (ie .... and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

Ask the hair dressing school if they qualify to the requirements on that page.