+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying without enough experience - PLEASE HELP

Alexios

Dec 5, 2018
Hello All,

I am 25 years old, and have been residing in Vancouver, Canada for over 2 years.

Recently I applied to BC PNP Skilled Worker Stream and I got invited:

I just wanted to give it a shot and see what happens without meeting general requirements.(I am sorry)

So right now, I'm still working as a Database Analyst in a Canadian company, but my work-permit will end soon so I registered to BCIT to study and extend my permits.

When my classes start, I will be able to work in the same company but part-time, after I graduate from BCIT, I will be able to keep working for them as I'll have open-work permit for at least a year.

Here's my stats: (85 points in total)

- I worked 1yr full-time as a Data Analyst after I graduated from CO-OP school. (I assume they will not count this as canadian experience) + 2 months without non co-op experience

- I have English Test (CELPIP) score of 8-8-8-8

- I am earning around 25$hr but median wage for my NOC code is over 25$

- I am currently working for the B.C. employer supporting my job offer.

- I do not have 2 years Directly Related full time experience to position my company offered to me.

- I am currently working in the job being offered.

- I have Permanent job offer.

- I have my credentials assessed.

- I have experience related to IT Field but not directly related to this position I am being offered.
------------------------------------
+ I have a brother here who is a citizen.
+ I am single
+ I live with my brother, hes also supporting me financially if needed.
------------------------------------
Should I submit my application and pay 700$? Will I get refused?

What should I do, what ways I should pursue? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thank you all,
Niel

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you don't meet the work experience requirements of the program, there is no point applying. Are you certainly that you don't meet the program requirements?

What kind of work permit do you hold now? If you currently hold a PGWP, you should be aware that you can only get this work permit once in a lifetime. You can study again, however you won't qualify for another PGWP. You should also be aware that any work experience you gain while studying cannot be counted as work experience towards any immigration program in Canada.

Alexios

Dec 5, 2018
On the website it says that I must have 2 years directly related experience, but I don't, so they will refuse my application I think. Rest is alright though.

I am not currently holding a PGWP, just study & work permit from Language&Career school which is not designated learning institution, so im fine.

It's incredibly funny that they don't count my PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE just because im on study&work permit. It was part of co-op, i studied 1 year, at the end of the school they let me work for 1 year without going to school but i guess since its part of my studies, (experience while studying) still affects.

Well, looks like they dont let me any chance to try and stay in Canada dont they? :) , what should I do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
On the website it says that I must have 2 years directly related experience, but I don't, so they will refuse my application I think. Rest is alright though.

I am not currently holding a PGWP, just study & work permit from Language&Career school which is not designated learning institution, so im fine.

It's incredibly funny that they don't count my PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE just because im on study&work permit. It was part of co-op, i studied 1 year, at the end of the school they let me work for 1 year without going to school but i guess since its part of my studies, (experience while studying) still affects.

Well, looks like they dont let me any chance to try and stay in Canada dont they? :) , what should I do?
Study/work permits from language & career schools are not a good path to PR. It's not about anyone not giving you a chance to stay in Canada. The problem is the type of permit you've chosen and where you are studying.

Best option is to take a full time program at a public college (not private) for at least 2 years so that you can qualify for a 3 year PGWP.

Alexios

Dec 5, 2018
I guess I'll try that. It's just too expensive..

I already registered to 1 year program, and applied for study permit extension. I might go take another program after I finish the current one so that I can qualify for 3 year PGWP.

Or with the Canadian experience I will have after the graduation, I can apply to express entry right? Recently I used this calculator and my score was between 440-450 with entering 1 year canadian work experience.

Thank you so much for your help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I guess I'll try that. It's just too expensive..

I already registered to 1 year program, and applied for study permit extension. I might go take another program after I finish the current one so that I can qualify for 3 year PGWP.

Or with the Canadian experience I will have after the graduation, I can apply to express entry right? Recently I used this calculator and my score was between 440-450 with entering 1 year canadian work experience.

Thank you so much for your help
Yes - that's right. You need 440-450 points to be selected under EE. Note that in order to be able to claim the 50 points for having a job offer, your employer must obtain an approved LMIA. I'm assuming your employer has already done that.

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
If you don't meet the work experience requirements of the program, there is no point applying. Are you certainly that you don't meet the program requirements?

What kind of work permit do you hold now? If you currently hold a PGWP, you should be aware that you can only get this work permit once in a lifetime. You can study again, however you won't qualify for another PGWP. You should also be aware that any work experience you gain while studying cannot be counted as work experience towards any immigration program in Canada.
That's not entirely correct. There is atleast one stream where experience gained as student is counted.

Alexios

Dec 5, 2018
Yes - that's right. You need 440-450 points to be selected under EE. Note that in order to be able to claim the 50 points for having a job offer, your employer must obtain an approved LMIA. I'm assuming your employer has already done that.
Unfortunately my company didn't want to go for LMIA. They were afraid to prove it to government that they couldn't find any Canadian citizen that could do the job.

That's not entirely correct. There is atleast one stream where experience gained as student is counted.
This is what it says in the program guide:

Experience obtained in paid co-op work terms is eligible if it meets the following criteria:
• the paid co-op work term is full-time (minimum 30 hours per week) and
• the paid co-op experience is a NOC skill level equal to or greater than the NOC code of the B.C. job offer o at the time of application, you must be able to satisfactorily demonstrate how this work experience is directly related Experience in a lower skill level NOC is not considered as directly related.
Unpaid co-op work terms are not eligible.
This experience may be from work performed within Canada or abroad

If is there any other stream, I'd like to research.

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Unfortunately my company didn't want to go for LMIA. They were afraid to prove it to government that they couldn't find any Canadian citizen that could do the job.

This is what it says in the program guide:

Experience obtained in paid co-op work terms is eligible if it meets the following criteria:
• the paid co-op work term is full-time (minimum 30 hours per week) and
• the paid co-op experience is a NOC skill level equal to or greater than the NOC code of the B.C. job offer o at the time of application, you must be able to satisfactorily demonstrate how this work experience is directly related Experience in a lower skill level NOC is not considered as directly related.
Unpaid co-op work terms are not eligible.
This experience may be from work performed within Canada or abroad

If is there any other stream, I'd like to research.
Atlantic Immigration Pilot recognizes work experience gained during studies, no clarity on co-op but part time work during school and fulltime during breaks does count.
But, please don't take advantage of the program if you don't have intent to settle in Atlantic Canada.

Alexios

Dec 5, 2018
Atlantic Immigration Pilot recognizes work experience gained during studies, no clarity on co-op but part time work during school and fulltime during breaks does count.
But, please don't take advantage of the program if you don't have intent to settle in Atlantic Canada.
Yeah, I don't think I can apply to that anyways, I need job offer + I want to stay in Vancouver..