+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying while on Student Visa?

Michelle2020

Sep 21, 2020
So I'm considering going to college in Canada while I wait for a spousal visa. But would applying for it while on a student visa cause problems? Is this considered 'ok', legally speaking? I also saw that in order to work while on a student visa, I need to have an SIN but how do I even get one when I'm not a PR? Thanks!

Kellba

Mar 31, 2021
Hello Michelle,
You could try to get there as a student but you will need to prove you have the financial means to study and support yourself, also you would have to prove you will leave the country once the course or degree is over, and with your spouse in Canada that will very difficult to prove.
The only way you have to work legally while in Canada is studying full time that means no short courses or something for less than a year and that would allow you to work up to 20 hrs a week.
I'm nobody to tell you what to do, but the best way to see your spouse while you are waiting for your permanent residency will be on a visitor visa (but you can't work).

Michelle2020

Sep 21, 2020
Hello Michelle,
You could try to get there as a student but you will need to prove you have the financial means to study and support yourself, also you would have to prove you will leave the country once the course or degree is over, and with your spouse in Canada that will very difficult to prove.
The only way you have to work legally while in Canada is studying full time that means no short courses or something for less than a year and that would allow you to work up to 20 hrs a week.
I'm nobody to tell you what to do, but the best way to see your spouse while you are waiting for your permanent residency will be on a visitor visa (but you can't work).
Well we're not married yet. I was considering going to Canada for school (legitimately, not for a workaround) and we were planning on getting married before I decided this anyway. We're concerned if I come here on a student visa, get married and then apply for a spousal visa that it'll look suspicious or might jeopardize things. I fully intend on finishing school but we're also really excited about getting married and want that to happen soon as well.

Kellba

Mar 31, 2021
Pretty impossible to help you if your information is not all display. In that case, you can do whatever you want you are free for all the options.

krishnat

Jul 4, 2013
Well we're not married yet. I was considering going to Canada for school (legitimately, not for a workaround) and we were planning on getting married before I decided this anyway. We're concerned if I come here on a student visa, get married and then apply for a spousal visa that it'll look suspicious or might jeopardize things. I fully intend on finishing school but we're also really excited about getting married and want that to happen soon as well.
It should not be a problem.
you can marry once you have the student visa and later apply for spouse sponsorship but you have to provide sufficient documents to prove the relationship

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
So I'm considering going to college in Canada while I wait for a spousal visa. But would applying for it while on a student visa cause problems? Is this considered 'ok', legally speaking? I also saw that in order to work while on a student visa, I need to have an SIN but how do I even get one when I'm not a PR? Thanks!
Having a study permit will not affect a PR application. With some study permits you are allowed to work a limited number of hours per week and if you do qualify they would provide you with the details about a SIN. Getting married here is not a problem but you will want to have a detailed history of your relationship to provide so that IRCC can see that you are in a legitimate relationship since you will be applying for PR shortly after getting married.