+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to renew PR 8 months before expiry. Will IRCC delay sending the new card till expiry is due?

Elkam123

Jun 2, 2018
My card expires in September. I need to travel outside Canada from June and staying outside Canada for 6 months.
I want to have a new card so I can return with it rather than getting a PRTD.

I was told that even if the IRCC receive my application early they will delay sending the new card to me till the one I have is about to expire. Which means they will send it some time in August. Is that true? or will they process the application in the usual manner and send the card early. It is possible that they send me the new card in May or June while the one I have will expire in September.

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
My card expires in September. I need to travel outside Canada from June and staying outside Canada for 6 months.
I want to have a new card so I can return with it rather than getting a PRTD.

I was told that even if the IRCC receive my application early they will delay sending the new card to me till the one I have is about to expire. Which means they will send it some time in August. Is that true? or will they process the application in the usual manner and send the card early. It is possible that they send me the new card in May or June while the one I have will expire in September.
No. That’s not true. If your card is going to expire in less than 9 months, you can apply for renewal, and they don’t care if it’s 8 months and 15 days or 5 days before the expiry date. The processing time at this moment is 92 days from the day they receive your application.