+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to PR with chronic illness - looking for success stories.

AK911

Jan 1, 2023
Hi folks.

I got an invitation from the OINP - Graduate Master's Stream, and I'm preparing to submit my PR application (Online through the new portal).

My wife has MS (multiple sclerosis), and she is now taking medication (Gileyna-Fingolimod), which is more expensive than the threshold for an excessive demand for health and social services. So, I am scared of the medical exam.

I'm seeking some success stories to give me hope that my wife's medical exam will be passed. I searched this forum's topics for one, but I couldn't find.

Does anybody else have a chronic illness that costs more than the threshold, such as MS, and get their medical test passed?

Thanks

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi folks.

I got an invitation from the OINP - Graduate Master's Stream, and I'm preparing to submit my PR application (Online through the new portal).

My wife has MS (multiple sclerosis), and she is now taking medication (Gileyna-Fingolimod), which is more expensive than the threshold for an excessive demand for health and social services. So, I am scared of the medical exam.

I'm seeking some success stories to give me hope that my wife's medical exam will be passed. I searched this forum's topics for one, but I couldn't find.

Does anybody else have a chronic illness that costs more than the threshold, such as MS, and get their medical test passed?

Thanks
You might want to try running searches on Crohn's. I know there are a number of historical threads on this topic. To the best of my knowledge, others have approached this issue by being switched to a lower cost treatment. But appreciate that may not be possible for your wife. Good luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi folks.

Thanks
Unfortunately it will be very tough with MS although dependent on type of MS, age, etc. Don’t believe there is another less expensive treatment option for her to change to. Is she working full-time and she been working full-time throughout her illness? Are you arriving with a job that had extended healthcare benefits that would cover her medication costs?

Mohsin Kamal

Jul 12, 2021
Hello I am extremely worried regarding my eyesight medicals because my vision is 6/24 in both eyes with glasses and 6/60 without specs. I am worried about whether I'll be through with medicals for Canada immigration. I have no problem in doing my routine works. PLEASE GUIDE I CANNOT FIND ANY INFO IN THIS REGARD

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello I am extremely worried regarding my eyesight medicals because my vision is 6/24 in both eyes with glasses and 6/60 without specs. I am worried about whether I'll be through with medicals for Canada immigration. I have no problem in doing my routine works. PLEASE GUIDE I CANNOT FIND ANY INFO IN THIS REGARD
Are you able to work or study full-time with your eyesight? Is your poor Sight a result of a medical condition? If so, is it progressive and will it get significantly worse over time? Will it lead to severe vision loss or becoming blind and would that prevent you from being able to continue to work, study, etc.?

Mohsin Kamal

Jul 12, 2021
Are you able to work or study full-time with your eyesight? Is your poor Sight a result of a medical condition? If so, is it progressive and will it get significantly worse over time? Will it lead to severe vision loss or becoming blind and would that prevent you from being able to continue to work, study, etc.?
Thank you for your response.

I have been working full-time since I've done my Bachelor's degree. I have this condition by birth and underwent 3-4 eye surgeries. I have no idea whether it would be progressive or not but do know the treatment(surgery) could be relatively expensive but it would be once in a blue moon maybe once after 10-15 years.

I am not dependent on anyone; even I routinely ride a motorbike. I was concerned whether IRCC has a benchmark like a minimum of 6/18 or better.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your response.

I have been working full-time since I've done my Bachelor's degree. I have this condition by birth and underwent 3-4 eye surgeries. I have no idea whether it would be progressive or not but do know the treatment(surgery) could be relatively expensive but it would be once in a blue moon maybe once after 10-15 years.

I am not dependent on anyone; even I routinely ride a motorbike. I was concerned whether IRCC has a benchmark like a minimum of 6/18 or better.
Shouldn‘t be an issue but would bring a letter from your ophthalmologist explaining your condition,what treatment you’ve received and your longterm prognosis.