+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to CEC from Quebec

MTweet12

Sep 1, 2013
Hi everyone,
I've been in Quebec for 3 years now. Graduated from Montreal and gained my work experience here.
Now I'm planning to apply for PR under CEC. The website says clearly:
"If you have worked or studied in Quebec but intend to settle elsewhere in Canada that experience could help you meet the requirements of the CEC.".
It is not stated however if it's possible to apply from Quebec. Would it be consider against the intention of residing elsewhere in Canada?
Thanks

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/08/2012. Sydney received on 17/08/12
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-22-2013, dependents 28-08-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
september 6th 2013, cic received on sept 10th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
MTweet12 said:
Hi everyone,
I've been in Quebec for 3 years now. Graduated from Montreal and gained my work experience here.
Now I'm planning to apply for PR under CEC. The website says clearly:
"If you have worked or studied in Quebec but intend to settle elsewhere in Canada that experience could help you meet the requirements of the CEC.".
It is not stated however if it's possible to apply from Quebec. Would it be consider against the intention of residing elsewhere in Canada?
Thanks
yea, it will. cic will not believe u in this case. u have to convince them that u don't intend to reside in Québec. maybe job offer or jobs in another province with the province residential or mailing address etc. will suffice. have u tried applying for Québec skilled worker???? since u graduated and worked there, u have greater chances of success in regards to pr status over there than in different province.

MTweet12

Sep 1, 2013
ujbaby said:
yea, it will. cic will not believe u in this case. u have to convince them that u don't intend to reside in Québec. maybe job offer or jobs in another province with the province residential or mailing address etc. will suffice. have u tried applying for Québec skilled worker???? since u graduated and worked there, u have greater chances of success in regards to pr status over there than in different province.
I did consider applying through the Québec skilled worker program. But the process is longer (with the federal approval it takes at least 2 years), and I don't know enough French which is apparently pretty important to those people here. But since I graduated/work here, you're right, I have high chances of being admitted. The processing time however concerns me.
Now when I say I'm willing to reside out of Quebec I truly mean it. I have a job contract for 2 years (1 year left from it not), and by the time I get my PR, I'll have no obligations and I'll be willing to move anywhere in Canada.
Do you think I can include that in a cover letter and explain my situation?

Thanks

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/08/2012. Sydney received on 17/08/12
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-22-2013, dependents 28-08-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
september 6th 2013, cic received on sept 10th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
MTweet12 said:
I did consider applying through the Québec skilled worker program. But the process is longer (with the federal approval it takes at least 2 years), and I don't know enough French which is apparently pretty important to those people here. But since I graduated/work here, you're right, I have high chances of being admitted. The processing time however concerns me.
Now when I say I'm willing to reside out of Quebec I truly mean it. I have a job contract for 2 years (1 year left from it not), and by the time I get my PR, I'll have no obligations and I'll be willing to move anywhere in Canada.
Do you think I can include that in a cover letter and explain my situation?

Thanks
if u still reside and work in Québec by the time of ur cec application, ur case will definitely get rejected but if u reside in another province and perhaps working, u might not have any ground for refusal. It is all up to u on how to convince cic. Bottom line, don't stay in Québec at all during ur cec process. This forum is full of different experience. wait for more advice. I wish u all the best :)

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
My impression is that you don't need to speak French to apply as a Quebec skilled worker, only for the PEQ. Of course, you'll get fewer points if you don't speak French, but if you can qualify, it doesn't matter whether you barely meet the threshold or you exceed it by a wide margin.

Also, if you have a permanent job offer, your application will be given priority processing.

krmmtl

Star Member
Sep 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-08-2012
AOR Received.
07-09-2012
Med's Request
17-07-2013
Med's Done....
23-07-2013
Passport Req..
31-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2013
LANDED..........
15-08-2013
The processing time for Quebec Experience Program is 20 days.
If have you graduated from a university in Quebec within the last 36 months and if you completed French courses at Advanced Intermediate level you are eligible to apply.
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/application-csq/students-peq/

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
krmmtl said:
If have you graduated from a university in Quebec within the last 36 months and if you completed French courses at Advanced Intermediate level you are eligible to apply.
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/application-csq/students-peq/
Advanced-intermediate is difficult to achieve in a short time. The OP says his French isn't good enough for "those people."

krmmtl

Star Member
Sep 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-08-2012
AOR Received.
07-09-2012
Med's Request
17-07-2013
Med's Done....
23-07-2013
Passport Req..
31-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2013
LANDED..........
15-08-2013
frege said:
Advanced-intermediate is difficult to achieve in a short time. The OP says his French isn't good enough for "those people."
He/she is concerned about the processing times so this option is the quickest for Quebec, and if he/she already took French courses at university no exam result will be required.

krmmtl said:

MTweet12

Sep 1, 2013
@krmmtl: frege is right. I do know some French but I definitely won't qualify for a B2 level (they now raised it from B1 to B2). If I could qualify for B2, I would have surely gone with the PEQ option.
I'm disappointed TBH because I've been living in Montreal for over 3 years now and I love the city. It's just the French regulations that make me consider leaving.
thanks for the answers guys

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
MTweet12 said:
@ krmmtl: frege is right. I do know some French but I definitely won't qualify for a B2 level (they now raised it from B1 to B2). If I could qualify for B2, I would have surely gone with the PEQ option.
I'm disappointed TBH because I've been living in Montreal for over 3 years now and I love the city. It's just the French regulations that make me consider leaving.
thanks for the answers guys
MTweet12, it might be reasonable to learn French to that level within a couple of years with a lot of effort. If you apply through QSW with a job offer or points for area of training, you'll get priority processing, and you can learn more French afterwards.

Think of it this way - there are about ten times as many francophones in Quebec as there are anglophones. So immigrants in Quebec should consider it as natural to speak French as they would to speak English if they were in Ontario. In Ontario, they wouldn't even think about this question.

I'm an anglophone, and I don't agree with everything that goes on here politically. But I can understand a certain level of frustration on the part of francophones when so many immigrants continue to ignore French.

iKhalid

Jan 16, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa-CPP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2013
Doc's Request.
PCC on 22-01-2014
AOR Received.
03-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
23-01-2014
Med's Done....
04-02-2014 Med's Received: 14-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2014
LANDED..........
31-03-2014
ujbaby said:
Sorry but I think you're wrong. You don't have to show proof of "intention" for now. I applied for CEC and my work is in Gatineau, QC but I live in Ottawa, ON. Although I applied when I already moved to Ottawa, I was actually living in Gatineau before I applied for 3 year, and when I enquired about it I was told that if I was planning to leave once I get the PR then it should be fine.

Check this out:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=382&t=6
Also:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cec-and-a-job-in-quebec-t112426.0.html;msg1633772#msg1633772

krmmtl

Star Member
Sep 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-08-2012
AOR Received.
07-09-2012
Med's Request
17-07-2013
Med's Done....
23-07-2013
Passport Req..
31-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2013
LANDED..........
15-08-2013
An August applicant received the below letter from CIC, so if you decide to apply CEC you will most likely receive the same.

mkapadia said:
As expected, received the below email from CIC today. Now it is almost certain that it will be rejected. Any suggestions/ways to prevent this?

--------------------------------------------------------------
This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. Please note that your file is in process and will continue to be processed at the Case Processing Pilot-Ottawa (“CPP-O”) office. I am writing you this letter to express my serious concern(s) regarding your application.

You have been working and residing in Montreal, Quebec since your arrival in Canada in May 2010. As per R87.1(1), the Canadian experience class is prescribed as a class of persons who may become permanent residents on the basis of their ability to become economically established in Canada, their experience in Canada, and their intention to reside in a province other than the Province of Quebec. You demonstrate strong ties to the Province of Quebec given your employment history. For this reason, I am not satisfied you intend to reside outside the Province of Quebec. Therefore, I am not satisfied your meet the requirements of the program.

Therefore I am asking you to submit any additional information and/or documentation that would allay my concern(s). You have 60 days from the date of this letter to submit the additional information and/ or documentation to the above address.

Please ensure that you quote the file number indicated at the top of this letter on any information you submit. If you choose not to respond with additional information and/or documentation, or if your submission does not allay these concern(s), your application may be refused.

We look forward to receiving the additional information and/or documentation within 60 days.

Yours truly,
--------------------------------------------------------------

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
krmmtl said:
An August applicant received the below letter from CIC, so if you decide to apply CEC you will most likely receive the same.
Excellent post. Here is an earlier one from the same member, outlining what kind of evidence can be used to establish intent to reside in another province.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/august-2012-pr-applications-t114004.0.html;msg2333180#msg2333180

krmmtl

Star Member
Sep 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-08-2012
AOR Received.
07-09-2012
Med's Request
17-07-2013
Med's Done....
23-07-2013
Passport Req..
31-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2013
LANDED..........
15-08-2013
frege said:
Excellent post. Here is an earlier one from the same member, outlining what kind of evidence can be used to establish intent to reside in another province.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/august-2012-pr-applications-t114004.0.html;msg2333180#msg2333180
Your post is also very helpful.
Unfortunately that member never logged in after June 21st. This might be a bad sign. So to guarantee the success of CEC application I'd recommend moving to a province other than Quebec.

MTweet12

Sep 1, 2013
@krmmtl and frege:
Many thanks guys.. you've been a great help. The links you posted are very similar to my case and makes it unlikely for me to be accepted under the CEC program.

@frege: of course it would be great to learn French (and I'm working on it). It's just that you never know what happens and how the immigration rules might change. So to be safe I'd prefer to apply soon rather than waiting for 1 or 2 extra years to learn French (and I've been here already for 3 years now).
You also never now what life brings you. I might get a job offer somewhere else in Canada and have to leave. Another reason that makes me very eager to wait for long before applying.
So for now I think I'll try to apply for CSQ without French and see how it goes (I do have good points).

Again, thanks for help.. appreciate it