+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to be a Canadian citizen but I don't have a Record of Landing

Narm

Feb 16, 2016
Hello,

I'm planning to send my application for Canadian citizenship very soon and out of all the documents that is needed I'm missing the Record of Landing (I have my PR card though). My Record of Landing was taken away by an immigration officer in the airport years back when I came from holidays. Can I send the application without it and send a copy of Record of Landing (when I get a new one or if they ask) in the meantime?

Thank you in advance for your help!

YNSAFDARI

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
In my opinion if you send your application without complete documents which means missing Landing paper, your file would be returned.

Narm

Feb 16, 2016
YNSAFDARI said:
In my opinion if you send your application without complete documents which means missing Landing paper, your file would be returned.
Thank you for your answer. I have the below document, will this be good enough as the record of landing?

http://canadasaga.blogspot.ca/2011/03/travel-document.html

Narm

Feb 16, 2016
CCanadaa said:
You can get a copy of your confirmation of permanent residency/record of landing by calling CIC.
Thanks for your answer. I called to CIC and there was an automatic machine saying the options and to get a new copy of my record of landing takes up to 6 months. Does this mean I have to wait 6 months to get this before I send my application?

Narm

Feb 16, 2016
Narm said:
Thanks for your answer. I called to CIC and there was an automatic machine saying the options and to get a new copy of my record of landing takes up to 6 months. Does this mean I have to wait 6 months to get this before I send my application?

Anyone?

Thank you in advance!

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Narm said:
Hello,

I'm planning to send my application for Canadian citizenship very soon and out of all the documents that is needed I'm missing the Record of Landing (I have my PR card though). My Record of Landing was taken away by an immigration officer in the airport years back when I came from holidays. Can I send the application without it and send a copy of Record of Landing (when I get a new one or if they ask) in the meantime?

Thank you in advance for your help!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp

CCanadaa

Jan 27, 2016
In the instruction guide it it say "You must provide all of these documents in your possession. If any of these documents are no longer in your possession, please explain why."

So if your document has been taken away by an officer just tell them about it, you can write a cover letter explaining what happened to that document, make sure to include the date and time of when you returned back from your trip and the officer took it. At the same time, apply for the record of landing.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Narm said:
That is likely the best option. Your copy of CoPR is a pretty important document for the citizenship process and it will likely cause some delays without it. I'd rather wait and send in a complete application but it is up to you.

Narm

Feb 16, 2016
links18 said:
Why did the officer take it away?
Thank you everyone for all your answers! I have no idea why the officer removed from the passport my record of landing, at that time everything was new to me.....like I said I came back from holidays and my last flight ended in Calgary, and when I went thru immigration in the airport the officer saw my Record of Landing attached to my passport and removed. Had I known how important that was I would've asked. It bothers me now to wait 6 months for a new copy of Record of Landing to apply to Citizenship. I wish there was a faster way....

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Narm said:
Thank you everyone for all your answers! I have no idea why the officer removed from the passport my record of landing, at that time everything was new to me.....like I said I came back from holidays and my last flight ended in Calgary, and when I went thru immigration in the airport the officer saw my Record of Landing attached to my passport and removed. Had I known how important that was I would've asked. It bothers me now to wait 6 months for a new copy of Record of Landing to apply to Citizenship. I wish there was a faster way....
You need not wait six months. Apply for the landing record copy and attach the acknowledgement receipt with your citizenship application. In your cover letter do mention it.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
chikloo said:
You need not wait six months. Apply for the landing record copy and attach the acknowledgement receipt with your citizenship application. In your cover letter do mention it.
This. Don't wait six months to apply just because you don't have it. Anything can happen in six months. Submit a cover letter explaining the situation and proof you applied for a copy of your COPR. See what happens. When you get your COPR, send a copy to CIC.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Narm said:
You'll need it anyway to get old age pension, so don't waste time and send your application ASAP